Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2009, 00:01   #1
BHPian

NHC heating up

guys.
i have a NHC(gxi) which i bought last december and so far i have done 10800kms.
now at 9500kms i got my engine oil flushed and put in 0w-40 mobil 1 api-sm oil(sourced from USA) .

>the car runs perfectly fine and only problem i am facing is the idling has become marginally rough.

>secondly when i am driving in traffic jams(really bad ones, but often in mumbai) i feel the car heats up due to ac on and i need to push the accelerator e lil heavier than normal otherwise the car either knocks or goes off. now this used to never happen before .
the red temperature indicator does not come on (when idling)and the

>coolant level is always upto the max level.

>also this problem i was facing just before i changed my engine oil.

>the radiator fans switches on normally.

>also after the car starts moving and 5-10mins of continuos normal running the problem vanishes.
please guide me as i am very disturbed.
is there something wrong with my accelerator cable but then it is normal when i drive without stop n start condition?
also chould i change my engine oil to OEM idemitsui?
or should i try putting in 5w-40 engine oil?
or should i flush out the existing coolant and refill new one?
Old 8th October 2009, 12:22   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
i feel the car heats up due to ac on and i need to push the accelerator e lil heavier than normal otherwise the car either knocks or goes off.
Quote:
>also after the car starts moving and 5-10mins of continuos normal running the problem vanishes.
Both of these point to one thing : A malfunctioning cooling fan. I faced exactly the same issue in my OHC. Culprit = rats had eaten up the fan wiring. The temperature would only climb in bumper to bumper traffic, and come back to normal on the open road. Unfortunately, the NHC doesn't have a temp gauge that can offer more clarity on the engine temperature. Get your cooling system checked ASAP, an overheated engine is murder.
Old 10th October 2009, 00:28   #3
BHPian

GTO i got the solution apparently the 0w-40 engine oil waht i was using was not really compatible with NHC. the viscosity was a lil too thin for the engine as a result the friction caused was making it hot and hence i was facing this issue and also the engine had become coarse in due time (1300kms of usage).
now i have changed it to 10w-40 castrol magnatec and i havent faced the problem so far in the same conditions before(touche wood).
only thing is my expensivve mobil 1 oil went in drain!
also one more opinion from you can i use 5-40 in future? will it be as thin as 0w-40?
Old 10th October 2009, 01:02   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdesai_1981 View Post
GTO i got the solution apparently the 0w-40 engine oil waht i was using was not really compatible with NHC. the viscosity was a lil too thin for the engine as a result the friction caused was making it hot and hence i was facing this issue and also the engine had become coarse in due time (1300kms of usage).
now i have changed it to 10w-40 castrol magnatec and i havent faced the problem so far in the same conditions before(touche wood).
also one more opinion from you can i use 5-40 in future? will it be as thin as 0w-40?
10W40 or 5W40 are as thick or thin as 0W40

its W40 that denotes thickness,the numbers 0,5,10 Denote the usability of oil at low temperatures.

a 0W40 oil would be more suited to extreme cold conditions rather than a 10W40.
So this has nothing to do with oil,and i guess most cars come with a recommended oil grade of XW40.
Old 10th October 2009, 01:12   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This is really strange! Synthetic with better grade causing so much havoc, are you sure the engine oil levels were right after the shift to Mobil?
Old 10th October 2009, 01:18   #6
Senior - BHPian

I dont think engine oil can cause this.
Mobil1 0W40 and Castrol 10W40 have same viscousity
and synthetic Mobil1 is anyday better than Castrol
Old 10th October 2009, 01:19   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
This is really strange! Synthetic with better grade causing so much havoc, are you sure the engine oil levels were right after the shift to Mobil?
yes jaggu the oil was exactly upto the max level of the dip stick.
and after filling mobil1 the engine had become really coarse.
Old 10th October 2009, 01:24   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
I dont think engine oil can cause this.
Mobil1 0W40 and Castrol 10W40 have same viscousity
and synthetic Mobil1 is anyday better than Castrol
akshay i understand that, i dont deny,,
technically waht you say has a point that is the reason i filled my car with 0w-40 but after a proper procedure of flushing of previous engine oil i had put mobil1 .
i also know the x in xw-40 denotes the pouring point of the oil at cold temperature but i am not joking if you actually compare 10w-40 to 0w-40 it is definetly thin is composition.
Old 10th October 2009, 01:57   #9
BHPian

I think he said the fan was working normally. But please do check it out. Also check out your A/C condensor to see if it is clogged if you had your A/C on.

It sounds like the thermostat though.Get it checked.

Something tells me there is more oil in your engine than neccessary.

Last edited by fiery enzyme : 10th October 2009 at 01:58.
Old 27th October 2009, 21:58   #10
BHPian

guys now i am facing another problem:
the engine has become a rough and is not as smooth as it was before. what must be the reason for it?
has the 0w-40 mobil 1 made the engine coarse? or i need a tune up job? i have clocked 2000kms since my last tune up job and have done 1000kms after the oil change
Old 27th October 2009, 22:36   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
guys now i am facing another problem:
the engine has become a rough and is not as smooth as it was before. what must be the reason for it?
has the 0w-40 mobil 1 made the engine coarse? or i need a tune up job? i have clocked 2000kms since my last tune up job and have done 1000kms after the oil change
Mihir, when you change the oil (synth or mineral) ALWAYS look at the minimum recommended viscosity and API spec fr the given ambient temp range.

0w-40 is recommended for really low start up ambient temps the likes of which you will NEVER see in Mumbai. Please dont fall for the synthetic hoopla. Thin 0W oil will not protect your engine during start ups in Mumbai climate.

I changed to 5W-40 API SM synth only after the car mfr introduced a recommended synth of the same viscosity and API spec.

BTW, when you changed the oil to Mobil 1 did you use a genuine Honda oil filter? Or was it aftermarket? I hope the issues you faced were not caused by a faulty filter providing less than optimal oil filtration and circulation characteristics.

Check your NHC's owners manual and only use grades that are specified therein.

Cheers!

PS - I assume your car's cooling system has the min level of coolant and there's no leak.

Last edited by R2D2 : 27th October 2009 at 22:47. Reason: Added comment on coolant
Old 27th October 2009, 22:46   #12
BHPian

hi r2d2 ,
well i had changed the engine oil after a consultation with the A.S.S. and they had recommended this viscosity .
yes i had used a after market oil filter but it was of the same OEM purolator brand with the same specification for NHC.
now i want to know how will i be able to smoothen my engine.
by the way what car do u have?
Old 27th October 2009, 22:58   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
hi r2d2 ,
well i had changed the engine oil after a consultation with the A.S.S. and they had recommended this viscosity .
yes i had used a after market oil filter but it was of the same OEM purolator brand with the same specification for NHC.
now i want to know how will i be able to smoothen my engine.
by the way what car do u have?
Hi Mihir, I hear that Purolator is not what it used to be. What's more worrying is that there are many fakes in the market.

I would strongly recommend you stick to OEM oil filters. Buy one from the dealership before your oil change and get them to change the oil for you. A Dec 08 NHC will still be in the warranty period and using wrong oil/filter combo plus a 3rd party performing a service routine on the car would void its warranty.

Once again, check your handbook for the recommended grades of oil for a given ambient temp and do NOT experiment with engine oil grades. The wrong grade can do some serious damage to your engine.

I have an Altis..it's my 2nd Corolla (and the 3rd Toyota in the family in a period spanning almost 40 years). Had a 2002 OHC before that. Just loved that car.

Rgds,
Old 27th October 2009, 22:59   #14
BHPian

yeah i think you are right i shall do that as fast as possible thanks tkc

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks