Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2009, 17:48   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The features of the S-Class aren't the ones that lead to its reliability issues. Mechanically too, the S Class is unreliable.

2. The Lexus has all the features I need. And a ton more that I really don't care about.

If you think its the S Class' features that make it unreliable, that couldn't be more off the mark. Has Mercedes lost its way? You bet. The W126 S-Class was the most advanced (including features) for its time, still managed to turn out exceedingly reliable + durable.
For all this talk of unreliability, I havent been able to find much on google.
mercedes benz s class w221 reliability - Google Search=

All said at the end of the day the S Class does have more features built into it, whether we like it or not, need it or not. Someone somewhere is ready to pay for those features and its not that he/she doesnt have a choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Reliability, or the ability to take me from pt. A to pt. B consistently, is fundamental to any car. Why can't an 80 lakh S Class give me the reliability of a 10 lakh Jap sedan?
I didnt knew there was a direct co-relation between reliability and price. You can't possibly ask for a sewing machine that is as reliable as a needle!

Last edited by extreme_torque : 15th October 2009 at 17:49.
Old 16th October 2009, 19:45   #47
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
For all this talk of unreliability
=

Quote:
Highest ranked vehicle in reliability. Lexus LS, Consumer Reports Annual Car Reliability Study (1997-2007). The Lexus LS has been among the most reliable vehicles in Consumer Reports surveys for over a decade.[14] The independent publication determined that a nine-year-old Lexus LS is more dependable than a brand new Mercedes-Benz, owing to the wide disparity in reliability scores between the top-ranked LS and below-average German makes.[15][16]
Note that CR shares much of its philosophy with Team-BHP. Zero funding from the auto industry, entirely independent. It is one of the most respected sources of auto information worldwide.

Linky

Also, you should probably talk to the owner of a Merc dealership whose cars air suspension collapsed on a holiday in Panchgani. He had his W221 S-Class transported on a flat bed truck to Mumbai. The car was barely some months old, mind you.

Most importantly, in Team-BHP's own ownership survey, about 40% of S Class owners give it below average / poor ratings for reliability, a 3rd faced some issues or the other and only 20 odd percent had zero issues.

That said, the W221 S Class has improved quality / durability over the W220. Credit where it is deserved, Merc is working hard to get back to its days of sheer durability. But it isn't quite back to the old Merc days yet. Too complicated, too many loose ends, lots of work to be done.

Quote:
All said at the end of the day the S Class does have more features built into it, whether we like it or not, need it or not. Someone somewhere is ready to pay for those features and its not that he/she doesnt have a choice.
I think we aren't on the same page here. Features are entirely independent of the reliability. A car can have more features and still be more reliable (and vice versa). The S Class has problems that have nothing to do with its features. Its the mechanicals, and poor quality / implementation of the same, that result in problems & breakdowns.

And for all this talk of features, the Lexus LS has 99% of the features that an S Class offers. And even betters it in some (8 speed gearbox versus 7 for the S, automatic parallel parking etc.). No one driving an LS will be shortchanged on features. Further, BMW has a superior reliability rating overall to Mercedes. If you do want to go high-tech German, you're probably safer with the 7. Ever think about why BMW overtook Mercedes in India? A lot to do Merc owners being previously burnt (ask me and I'll tell you some), and BMW's 5 year complete maintenance packages.

Quote:
I didnt knew there was a direct co-relation between reliability and price.
Mine and your expectations are obviously very different, but I do expect my 80 lakh car to do better than a 15 lakh in nearly every way. In the most basic purpose of an automobile, it has to transport me from pt. A to pt. B. The number of times it breaks down is failure. Inexcusable failure at that. When a 15 lakh car works everyday, and an 80 lakh machine can't perform on its most basic duty, that is failure right there.

Imagine an 80 lakh car that can't do a Mumbai Goa trip as often as a Toyota Fortuner, due to lack of reliability. Or one that leaves you stranded on the road to work (just ask Ritesh Deshmukh).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks