Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2010, 15:14   #31
Senior - BHPian

Don't worry about the Alto, it happened to me too. I saw the odo at 81 km the day I okayed the car for registration. The next day I went to see the car after registration the reading was still 81 KM! I raised a stink and entered the sales manager's cabin in a foul mood.He informed that they always disconnect the odo when the vehicle approaches close to 100 KM as the customers will otherwise not take the car! It seems they sometimes unload the cars at a rail-head 45 KM away and then drive them to the city. Then within city they are moved from the stockyard to showroom, and even between showrooms. Sometimes after bringing car to showroom from stockyard the customer will reject it and it will be driven back to the yard, which will normally be in the outskirts.

As the DOM of the car was late April and I was buying it in June, I accepted the story - even if they give non-TD cars for TD, it will always be the oldest car first! There were a few Dec'08 model Altos still available there on discount! Moreover, I was given a TD Wagon-R and Estillo by the same show room but was denied a TD on Alto because a TD car was not available! If they were giving unregistered cars for TD they would have given me one too!

Last edited by Gansan : 23rd March 2010 at 15:18.
Old 9th May 2010, 09:41   #32
BHPian

I regret to inform you that the clutch of my Alto Lxi has gone for a toss after 6000 odd kms. The service station, D D motors, Mayapuri, deliberately maladjusted clutch play in Dec09 in second service. After reading the threads here, I went to get the clutch play adjusted a month after as gear shifting was hard & car used to move just before full clutch pedal release rather than half.

Sadly, now as of May09, the clutch has packed up and needs replacement of the parts pictured in this thread. D D Motors refuse to replace them under warranty. My clutch is as hard as the brake pedal, gears are dodgy, shift is arbitrary, and only has a few kms left, as told by SA. I am living with it and the left leg pain from the hard clutch for now, but I am going to lodge a former complaint against Maruti by E-mail & by a consumer court.

Gansan & others, please take note and get clutch play to half clutch rather than living with false notions/adjusting to the new configuration. Clutch is neither economical nor advisable to replace in <10000kms run car.
Old 9th May 2010, 11:01   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCause View Post
...After reading the threads here, I went to get the clutch play adjusted a month after as gear shifting was hard & car used to move just before full clutch pedal release rather than half...
Sorry, but I do not understand how this was an issue and needed adjustment.

Quote:
... D D Motors refuse to replace them under warranty...
Clutch packing up just 6000kms is unheard of, unless it is subject to very bad driving style, else it is a manufacturing defect. Do push Maruti for a warrant replacement. My Alto's clutch at 62k kms is still good.
Old 9th May 2010, 20:09   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Sorry, but I do not understand how this was an issue and needed adjustment.

Clutch packing up just 6000kms is unheard of, unless it is subject to very bad driving style, else it is a manufacturing defect. Do push Maruti for a warrant replacement. My Alto's clutch at 62k kms is still good.
It means clutch used to engage at the very end of pedal release. I got the play adjusted at the above said MASS.It IS a manufacturing defect. My old Palio's clutch is still going strong after 89998km even after episodes of being Driver driven, newbie drivers in the family trying their hand at driving etc.

This is the first instance of me buying a MarutiSuzuki for home use and this repair and routine service bills to the tune of Rs.1000-2000 tempts me to repossess the gifted Palio giving this in exchange.

One thing I would like to confess, I regret not caring for the little Fiat. I would leave her parked in a hurry, sometimes I wouldn't even care to straighten the front wheels after parking. My cousins, friends and anyone under the sun contributed to the huge scratches and small dents on bumpers,fenders and you name it. Still it chugged along to 80000kms, courtesy, not showing it to TASS ever since I bought the car. It has been around 6 years and still, even if I go into the details, the service bill is less than 25000Rs.

Last edited by JustCause : 9th May 2010 at 20:22.
Old 10th May 2010, 09:53   #35
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I feel the culprit for the clutch to pack up early is the adjustment we do. By default the clutch of the Alto will engage after 3/4th of the pedal travel when we release from full depression. This is not s defect but a design quirk one should live with. If we adjust the play to engage much before this, it may cause early damage. This is my own analysis, of course. Initially (even now, sometimes) I too found the clutch uncomfortable and had taken the car to two different MASS after my dealer workshop refused to adjust the play stating it is correct. Both the places confirmed this and said the play is as per recommendation and should not be adjusted.

I then checked my b'n'law's 5 year old Alto and sure enough, the play was the same. He is driving it for 25k KM without any issues. So I concluded the MASS fellows are correct and left the clutch alone. My car has now crossed 5k KM and I hope there will not be any issues.

I went through all the posts in TBHP reporting Alto clutch going kaput early, and almost all the owners have had the clutch adjusted to their liking, instead of keeping the recommended play.

Last edited by Gansan : 10th May 2010 at 09:58.
Old 10th May 2010, 10:08   #36
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
So I concluded the MASS fellows are correct and left the clutch alone. My car has now crossed 5k KM and I hope there will not be any issues.

I went through all the posts in TBHP reporting Alto clutch going kaput early, and almost all the owners have had the clutch adjusted to their liking, instead of keeping the recommended play.
This happened to me as well a year ago. I did not adjusted the clutch to my liking but left it the way it was adjusted by MASS. The reason for failure in my car was determined to be a defective clutch which MASS replaced under warranty even though my car had covered 14k kms.

Failure at 6k kms can only be due to a defective clutch and should be replaced under warranty.
Old 10th May 2010, 14:07   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
This happened to me as well a year ago. I did not adjusted the clutch to my liking but left it the way it was adjusted by MASS. The reason for failure in my car was determined to be a defective clutch which MASS replaced under warranty even though my car had covered 14k kms.

Failure at 6k kms can only be due to a defective clutch and should be replaced under warranty.
My Alto was fine till I got to 2nd service. After that, the clutch play problem became worse, I too thought if someone has run 20k, then why should I bother. Since 3 months, I have been feeling a slight discomfort & stiffness in my left foot while walking and therefore I wear footwear all of the time. Now the pedal is difficult to push even by a rod and is almost like the brake pedal.

Now, I'm thinking of oiling the cable and making other adjustments & also get an independent quote.
Old 10th May 2010, 14:24   #38
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My Alto was fine till I got to 2nd service.
If your car has covered only 9k kms, then you should push for a warranty replacement. It is very evident from this forum that few batches of the Alto have defective clutches. You should not be charged for labor or parts if you r/p the clutch assembly under warranty.

If your MASS doesn't agree to do the job for whatever reason, I can post a scanned copy of my bill for you to show proof of the job done. A single set of rules apply to MASS across the country.
Old 10th May 2010, 15:55   #39
Senior - BHPian

Oh no! This discussion is taking me back to square one again.

From the previous posts, I got the understanding that the clutch should engage at almost half position. This was the clutch position when I got my car new.

During second service, the technician adjusted the clutch in such a way that the car would start moving only if I release my clutch pedal almost fully.

This is the understanding that I got from this thread -
1. If the clutch is adjusted so as to engage only on releasing the pedal almost fully (3/4th position), you'll damage the diaphragm spring.
2. Of course, if you adjust the clutch so that it engages the moment you slightly release the pedal, the clutch plate wears down very quickly. (In both cases, you'll be forced to replace the full clutch assembly.)

But normally the service guys (purposefully) adjust the clutch only like that is mentioned in the first scenario above. This happened to my dad's Maruti 800 (causing clutch failure at 15000 km), and now to my Alto (clutch failure at 12000 km).

Could you clarify whether my understanding is correct?

@JustCause,
I also felt stiffness of clutch pedal, so I suspect that your Diaphragm Spring has failed (please refer to the pictures that I have posted at the start of this thread).
My case is almost 6 months old, so I wonder whether I'll finally get warranty ever. I keep writing to whatever MUL address I get hold of, though.

Last edited by Dippy : 11th May 2010 at 15:13. Reason: Editing on request
Old 10th May 2010, 17:57   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
If your car has covered only 9k kms, then you should push for a warranty replacement. It is very evident from this forum that few batches of the Alto have defective clutches. You should not be charged for labor or parts if you r/p the clutch assembly under warranty.

If your MASS doesn't agree to do the job for whatever reason, I can post a scanned copy of my bill for you to show proof of the job done. A single set of rules apply to MASS across the country.
Please do so, or PM me if you find posting here inappropriate. If at all they agree, I'll let you know. I went to Competent & Magic & they both offer a pittance as discount over the clutch replacament price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
Oh no! This discussion is taking me back to square one again.

From the previous posts, I got the understanding that the clutch should engage at almost half position. This was the clutch position when I got my car new.

During second service, the technician adjusted the clutch in such a way that the car would start moving only if I release my clutch pedal almost fully.

This is the understanding that I got from this thread -
1. If the clutch is adjusted so as to engage only on releasing the pedal almost fully (3/4th position), you'll damage the diaphragm spring.
2. Of course, if you adjust the clutch so that it engages the moment you slightly release the pedal, the clutch plate wears down very quickly. (In both cases, you'll be forced to adjust the full clutch assembly.)

But normally the service guys (purposefully) adjust the clutch only like that is mentioned in the first scenario above. This happened to my dad's Maruti 800 (causing clutch failure at 15000 km), and now to my Alto (clutch failure at 12000 km).

Could you clarify whether my understanding is correct?

Yes, it is correct, sadly, all these things take place and I sometimes feel like taking the car to MASS/Any A S S leads to problems rather than solving them.

@JustCause,
I also felt stiffness of clutch pedal, so I suspect that your Diaphragm Spring has failed (please refer to the pictures that I have posted at the start of this thread).
My case is almost 6 months old, so I wonder whether I'll finally get warranty ever. I keep writing to whatever MUL address I get hold of, though.
Yes, I looked up this thread after my 2nd service but dropped it as others had posted that the adjusted position is the correct one.

Manufacturing defect cannot happen as such, even if it did, or if good old Maruti were scared to admit it in "India's Largest selling car", the least they could've done is offered a warranty replacement.

As of now, I will go to a neighborhood mechanic to see if it can be mended for a while(oiling, cable check etc.). I don't have time to take it from A S S to A S S and be turned down. If someone can recommend a good mechanic or an aftermarket better clutch (with some warranty, perhaps)in Delhi/NCR, then I could give it a shot.
Old 19th May 2010, 23:15   #41
Senior - BHPian

My clutch has started giving problems. Run 36K in the past 6 years. Dad's been using it. Now the car shudders on starting in 1st gear. Is there a reinforced or heavy duty model available for the alto? How much would a replacement cost me?
Old 20th May 2010, 13:50   #42
Senior - BHPian

My Alto Lxi Clutch replacement cost me 3000 Rs (2000Rs + 1000 Rs for Labour). I guess the price that I paid is on the higher side.
Old 20th May 2010, 13:53   #43
Senior - BHPian

Cars shudder? Please explain. Just be sure to check the clutch with handbrake test (search for it, it has been posted numerous times)

Shudder can also be attributed to other things.

BTW use a valeo, Its much better than the Ceekay (this is what i have found personally).
Clutch Set : 1150
bearing : 600
Labour 550
Old 20th May 2010, 16:26   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I also seriously doubt the point about excessive pressure buid-up in the radiator. Coolant from the reservoir can enter the radiator only if the level there goes down. If the radiator is full, the high level of coolant in the reservoir can at best cause an overflow, IMO.
My (dad's) Maruti 800 coolant reservoir was 'over-filled' by the workshop two months back, now the car is back at the workshop for coolant leak.
The coolant leaks so much that the reservoir gets empty after driving 10 km.

Just a coincidence, or the result of over filling?

Also, I really wonder why the coolant reservoir has a 'max' level marked, if it's safe to fill any where above the 'min' level.
I keep my Alto's coolant between 'min' and 'max' to avoid risk anyway.

Last edited by jinojohnt : 20th May 2010 at 16:28.
Old 21st May 2010, 06:54   #45
Senior - BHPian

By shudder I mean that the car jerks as I release the clutch in 1st gear. What is Valeo and Ceekay?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks