Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2017, 08:46   #736
BHPian

re: Maruti Alto - Issues

Thank you Mr. boss ! I am planning to visit a Maruti A.S.S here in Tiruppur. There is no damages on the other side or the inside of the bonnet.
Old 5th March 2017, 07:12   #737
BHPian

Finally got the bonnet fixed. Abt Maruti at Tiruppur got the dent fixed and repainted the bonnet. Costed me Rs. 4313. I was worried about the end result but it came out very good

Edit : Didn't claim insurance.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Alto - Issues-1488677975917.jpg  

Last edited by sairamboko : 5th March 2017 at 07:16.
sairamboko is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2017, 09:30   #738
BHPian

My Alto LXi 2006 has recently been making a sound which seems to emanate from the right hand side just behind the steering wheel. It feels as if something is very loose and can be heard if I keep the steering at 10 o'clock and lug the engine so that the whole car vibrates. While driving too, during turns when the engine lugs and vibrates it can be heard. MASS says it is a steering box issue and needs to be changed but I can't feel it at any point in the steering. Could this be the flange nut issue that I have been reading earlier in this thread. The MASS here have no idea about this nut. Any inputs are welcome.
Old 13th March 2017, 11:16   #739
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techiecal View Post
My Alto LXi 2006 has recently been making a sound which seems to emanate from the right hand side just behind the steering wheel. It feels as if something is very loose and can be heard if I keep the steering at 10 o'clock and lug the engine so that the whole car vibrates.
Does this noise crop up when driving over minor undulations, rough patches or expansion joints over the tarmac (like those over a flyover)? If yes, then it could be a failed steering link in the collapsible steering column assembly. Check the RHS drive shafts as well for any signs of damage. How many kms has your car run?
gpa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2017, 16:15   #740
BHPian

It is something so loose that it comes even when reversing into my garage when the wheels are barely turning. That means just the vibrations of the engine is causing whatever it is to shake. Of course it can be heard rattling over cobbled roads since it is something so loose but owing to the road noise it is dampened.It seems to be emanating from just behind the dashboard on the right hand side. BTW my car has done 56K.

Last edited by techiecal : 15th March 2017 at 16:17.
Old 15th March 2017, 19:04   #741
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techiecal View Post
It is something so loose that it comes even when reversing into my garage when the wheels are barely turning. That means just the vibrations of the engine is causing whatever it is to shake.
It sounds like a collapsed link in the collapsible steering column. Was the car involved in a minor front-end collision anytime in the past 56k kms?
Old 15th March 2017, 21:29   #742
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
It sounds like a collapsed link in the collapsible steering column. Was the car involved in a minor front-end collision anytime in the past 56k kms?
Never. It just started a few months ago and is increasing gradually. I am a very careful driver and avoid potholes and undulations while driving at the cost of steering. Perhaps that is why the steering is giving trouble while the suspension is still ok. Is this link reachable in the Alto to verify that it is indeed coming from there.

Last edited by techiecal : 15th March 2017 at 21:32.
Old 1st October 2018, 16:13   #743
BHPian

There used to be a black pipe with a cover in the place which is gaping open now, not sure where it fell off. 2007 Alto Lxi. Can anyone advise what it is for?
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Alto - Issues-1538390507381545112572.jpg  

Old 1st October 2018, 19:23   #744
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbanerjee View Post
There used to be a black pipe with a cover in the place which is gaping open now, not sure where it fell off. 2007 Alto Lxi. Can anyone advise what it is for?
Its for the breather hose. Glad you noticed it just in time. Water and other impurities get inside the gearbox and create havoc. You'll need three parts: Clip, hose and a plug. Details about part numbers: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ml#post4470213 (Maruti Genuine Parts (MGP) Catalog: Post your queries here (model list on Pg 1))

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th November 2018, 13:45   #745
BHPian

Hi all,

I took my 2007 Alto Lx on a drive from chandigrh to kedarnath and came back via dhanolti from 08 nov to 12 nov.
The plan was made on an impulse and i was a bit wary of taking the alto as the tyres had gone almost bald and it had not been running much for the past two years since we got a baleno. But the car managed the hills and bad roads with ease.
It just started making a weird noise on the way. I inspected and found that the bumper which had been repaired earlier had come loose. I thought that bumper was vibrating and causing the noise, so decided to keep driving till im back.
Yesterday took the car to MASS and the technician started the engine and within 3-4 seconds without even putting the car in gear said 'silencer fat gaya hai' !!!
He pointed to the underbelly around the middle of the car and said the silencer is gone. I said there had been no underbody hit but he said the silencer blows out with age due to extreme temparatures. I asked him if it was the catalytic convertor and he said the convertor is in the engine bay itself and that this is a silencer. I asked him to check if there was any other issue but he said there was no need, he had been working in maruti for 20 years and that he could recognise it instantly.
I came back and inspected the underside. Found a small hole in the middle box (silencer) (Pic attached). Is this a silencer? then what is the box near the end of the exhaust? Are there two silencers? Or was the mechanic wrong and this is the catalytic convertor?

The quoted price was around Rs.2000 for the part and 300-400 for the labour so adds to approx. Rs.2500/-. I was told that it would take around 45 mins.

On boodmo the part is priced at approx. Rs.8000. Am having doubts about what is the right part?
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Alto - Issues-alto-silencer.jpg  

Old 16th November 2018, 01:13   #746
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guptavis View Post
Hi all,

The quoted price was around Rs.2000 for the part and 300-400 for the labour so adds to approx. Rs.2500/-. I was told that it would take around 45 mins.

On boodmo the part is priced at approx. Rs.8000. Am having doubts about what is the right part?
This is the exhaust center pipe containing the resonator. the muffler comes after this part and when I replaced the silencer in my 2010 alto two years ago, it cost me approximately 3000 at MASS. Your mechanic is right, silencer noise is pretty easy to identify. Now coming to your query, your issue could be from the center pipe or the silencer. it can easily be identified by checking for any wear/ rust/ holes or simply by shaking the silencer to check if any of the internals are broken. In a lot of cases any holes can simply be welded and a replacement is not needed. This part should certainly not cost 8000rs.

Last edited by bullrun87 : 16th November 2018 at 01:21.
bullrun87 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2018, 09:31   #747
BHPian

I too have an Alto LX 2007, and I recently had this very same problem.
The entire section after the flange joint was replaced - yes this includes the tubular section with holes in your picture.
My FNG replaced the whole thing for under 3k, can't recall the exact cost. This part, considering a maruti genuine, costs Rs. 2200-2400 only.

We too were in a dilemma of repair and replace, but at this price point replacement made sense.
No issues so far.

Quick edit: The rust remnants within that tubular section were making noise and perhaps due the internal structure, it was not possible to get the metal chunks out. This would make noise every time you accelerate. So, another reason for going for replacement.

Last edited by Rodie09 : 16th November 2018 at 09:33. Reason: Adding more detail
Rodie09 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2018, 15:31   #748
Distinguished - BHPian

This is a common issue if your regular drive is limited to couple of KMs only.
This way condensation remains inside silencer since hot exhaust gas would not have got chance to remove water particles yet, over period of time this condensation causes silencer to get rusted.
mpksuhas is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2018, 19:07   #749
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullrun87 View Post
This is the exhaust center pipe containing the resonator. the muffler comes after this part and when I replaced the silencer in my 2010 alto two years ago, it cost me approximately 3000 at MASS. ... In a lot of cases any holes can simply be welded and a replacement is not needed. This part should certainly not cost 8000rs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodie09 View Post
I too have an Alto LX 2007, and I recently had this very same problem.
The entire section after the flange joint was replaced - yes this includes the tubular section with holes in your picture.

Quick edit: The rust remnants within that tubular section were making noise and perhaps due the internal structure, it was not possible to get the metal chunks out. This would make noise every time you accelerate. So, another reason for going for replacement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
This is a common issue if your regular drive is limited to couple of KMs only.
This way condensation remains inside silencer since hot exhaust gas would not have got chance to remove water particles yet, over period of time this condensation causes silencer to get rusted.

Thank you all for your valuable suggestions.
Yes mpksuhas, the alto is sparsely driven for the past two years. That too only for short city drives. Guess that is what caused the rusting.

Sent the car to the local mechanic at motor market. Repair was suggested and the same was done at total cost of Rs.550/-. This included welding of the part with holes and a new gasket at the joint with the exhaust pipe. The weird noise is gone. Hardly drove it for 5 kms after that but all seems well.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Alto - Issues-resonator-repaired.jpg  

guptavis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2018, 18:37   #750
Senior - BHPian

Just got my 2004 Alto Lxi serviced at a new branch of Mandovi motors. Regular PMS 85,000kms, supposed to be a minor service. No major issues, Only right ORVM was broken. Apparently the mirror cannot be replaced and whole housing had to be replaced at ~INR 900/-. Total cost of servicing was INR 12076/-. Including AC disinfection and essential kit (Towel, air freshener and tissue box) for 600 and 400 respectively before tax. Though previous air freshener is still unopened in the car. Maruti has certainly become much more expensive and corrupt.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks