Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2018, 19:01   #766
Senior - BHPian

re: Maruti Alto - Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
Just got my 2004 Alto Lxi serviced at a new branch of Mandovi motors. Regular PMS 85,000kms, supposed to be a minor service. No major issues, Only right ORVM was broken. Apparently the mirror cannot be replaced and whole housing had to be replaced at ~INR 900/-. Total cost of servicing was INR 12076/-. Including AC disinfection and essential kit (Towel, air freshener and tissue box) for 600 and 400 respectively before tax. Though previous air freshener is still unopened in the car. Maruti has certainly become much more expensive and corrupt.
After the service where the fan belt and brake pads were replaced, I've been noticing a screeching sound for a few seconds on a cold start and also brake squeal. The Service people tightened the belt on a subsequent visit but the sound persists. Should I go back there or visit my regular Mandovi?
Old 11th December 2018, 15:27   #767
BHPian

Quote:
After the service where the fan belt and brake pads were replaced, I've been noticing a screeching sound for a few seconds on a cold start and also brake squeal. The Service people tightened the belt on a subsequent visit but the sound persists. Should I go back there or visit my regular Mandovi?

That squealing sound during cold starts could be your alternator. Is your battery due for a replacement?

If the brake squealing is occasional and happens during cold mornings and goes away after a couple of kms then that is normal
Old 11th December 2018, 17:20   #768
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Belt slippage causes screeching sounds. A new belt will stretch ever so slightly once installed and used for the first few 100 kms. It is best to recheck belt tension after a while.

Also get the belt and pulleys checked for any contamination on all contact surfaces. Any oil or grease is a strict no-no.

Last edited by R2D2 : 11th December 2018 at 17:22.
Old 11th December 2018, 19:12   #769
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
That squealing sound during cold starts could be your alternator. Is your battery due for a replacement?

If the brake squealing is occasional and happens during cold mornings and goes away after a couple of kms then that is normal
Battery is quite new and going strong. Brake squealing is only when shedding speed from higher speeds say ~60 kmph.

@R2D2 Guess you're suggesting to wait for a while and see if the sound goes away. I already feel it is reducing, but perhaps I've just stopped noticing it.
Old 15th December 2018, 15:21   #770
BHPian

Hi all,

Got my Alto Lx 2007 which has run 79K Kms serviced at a BOSCH service centre.
Regular replacements- Engine Oil was replaced with a Bosch Engine Oil in a drum. The label on top read SAE 15W-40, API CH/SG. I think that would be a primarily diesel engine oil but i guess should be okay for the Alto. Oil filter and fuel filter was also replaced. They wanted to replace air filter too but when i asked them to see the condition first they agreed that it didnt require to be replaced. Coolant was a bit low and i thought top up would do but they were pushing a lot for replacement so i agreed.

Two issues i had-
1) brake pedal is very hard and does not get depressed when the engine is off, works fine after engine is turned on (i think somehow the brake system is losing vaccum).
2) AC makes a screeching noise for 5-10 seconds when turned on (AC belt worn out?).

1. For the brakes it was reported that brake pads were at the end of their life and would only last another 2-3K Kms. Last replacement was at around 40K Kms i think. They looked to have gotten quite thin so went for replacement. Brake Fluid level in reservoir was full. I also asked to replace the brake fluid, but i was told that there is no need.
The issue of hard brake pedal when engine is off still persists. Any pointers?

2. For the AC noise, it was said that the belt is fine. They said dirty belt makes noise so they will spray some water to clean it and noise will stop.
This issue also persists. But it is inconsistent. Sometimes the belt makes no noise when AC is swithched on and sometimes it makes a ruccus. Only happens for a few seconds though. The water?(the other out of the two visible belts on the engine) belt was replaced around 70K Kms at MASS but AC belt has never been replaced. Any solutions?

Last edited by guptavis : 15th December 2018 at 15:25. Reason: typo
Old 18th December 2018, 18:07   #771
BHPian

Two issues i had-
1) brake pedal is very hard and does not get depressed when the engine is off, works fine after engine is turned on (i think somehow the brake system is losing vaccum).

This is how it's supposed to be. Your brakes are normal. When the engine is turned off, there is no vacuum in the brake booster and it becomes extremely hard to depress the brake pedal. DO not turn off the engine if you need to use the brakes, it's unsafe. The brake booster uses engine vacuum to make it easier for you to brake when you press the pedal. The braking system is designed to work with a vacuum. If the engine is stopped, the vacuum is lost.

2. For the AC noise, it was said that the belt is fine. They said dirty belt makes noise so they will spray some water to clean it and noise will stop.
This issue also persists. But it is inconsistent. Sometimes the belt makes no noise when AC is swithched on and sometimes it makes a ruccus. Only happens for a few seconds though. The water?(the other out of the two visible belts on the engine) belt was replaced around 70K Kms at MASS but AC belt has never been replaced.

It could definitely be a belt issue. Have you ever had your ac serviced by an ac professional? If it's a simple hissing sound when you turn on your ac then it could be simply that your ac system is low on gas. Get an ac service done.
bullrun87 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2019, 09:52   #772
BHPian

Hello all,

I own a 2007 Maruti Alto LXi. The car is almost 12 years old and has clocked around 95000 kms as on date. During my last service at MSM, Guindy, the SA advised me to change timing belt as part of the preventive maintenance measure and gave me an estimate of 8.5k. 3 days ago, I took my car to MSM and asked him to do it. The next day, I received a call from my SA that the "Crankshaft Pulley is jammed and some key is stuck along with it" and that the technicians are unable to remove it. I consulted with a few known mechanics and they said they'll have to spray WD-40 and leave it for at-least two days for it to loosen up. I told my SA the same thing and he said that has already been done.He said if this doesn't work out, They will have to "down" the engine and get it done which will cost upwards of 20k. I asked him to try the WD-40 trick and wait for some more time.

Now, I have two questions :

1. The SA claims that if the engine is "downed", the engine will be as good as new. My query is that is this really necessary? I'm not sure of my ownership timeline with this car. I might even drive another 1 lakh kms or sell it off within the next few months. So as of now, I want whatever the best that has to be done to this car, to be done.

2. Can I get this done at a local FNG who claims that he can get it done properly. What if something goes wrong later? I can hold MSM accountable, but not these local FNG fellows. I don't want to be penny wise and pound foolish.

Would appreciate inputs from fellow members for a suitable and cost-effective remedy. Thanks in advance!
Old 9th February 2019, 10:24   #773
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard1955 View Post
Hello all,

I own a 2007 Maruti Alto LXi. The car is almost 12 years old and has clocked around 95000 kms as on date. During my last service at MSM, Guindy, the SA advised me to change timing belt as part of the preventive maintenance measure and gave me an estimate of 8.5k.
They are fleecing you Sir. I won't comment much about the crankshaft pulley/key case, but this is what caught my eye. Did he give you 8.5k estimate for the whole service plus timing belt change or was it for timing belt change alone?

I own a 5S 800 with the same F8D engine, and I got the timing belt changed at a MASS here. The charge for the job was:

Rs. 540 timing belt
Rs. 576 tensioner assembly
Rs. 100 misc items like Seals, bolt etc
Labour: Rs. 640 plus tax

Estimate for the job was under 2k. I think you should consult an FNG and get the job done there. Some pics of the crankshaft pulley and the key I took during my replacement last month:

Mechanic blocking the flywheel before removing the crankshaft bolt

Maruti Alto - Issues-20181211_102341.jpg

The crankshaft pulley

Maruti Alto - Issues-20181211_105554.jpg

That empty slot you see at the bottom on the shaft, that's where the key sits

Maruti Alto - Issues-20181211_105603.jpg

Installed

Maruti Alto - Issues-20181211_110814.jpg

By bringing the engine down, they'll basically clean it, change piston rings/oil seals etc. It will be like a minor overhaul, which in my opinion is totally unnecessary if your car is running fine.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th February 2019, 10:32   #774
BHPian

@Ard1955

Suggest you get your car back from the service center your dealing with, like shashi has mentioned they are just trying to fleece you.You may end up paying for works not required at this point and rest assured the bill is going to be pretty steep.Do not delay or else before you realize your engine may already have work started on it.

Take your car to FNG and have the required done. Sometimes FNG is way more cost effective and quality of job is as good as MASS.
scorpian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2019, 14:01   #775
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
They are fleecing you Sir. I won't comment much about the crankshaft pulley/key case, but this is what caught my eye. ..
SA quoted 8.5k just for the timing belt replacement. He said the tensioner bearing, idler bearing and all the other related parts will be replaced. I'll ask him for a break up of the costs. From the pictures you've posted, That's the pulley which is stuck is what he says. Anyway, Ive found a garage at Saidapet, Chennai. If they insist on working on the engine by removing it, I'm taking it to the FNG.

And one more doubt, What's the average kilometer timeline for an overhaul? I thought since this has already come up, Why not do it now? I cannot afford a breakdown in the middle of the road because elders will be traveling along with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpian View Post
@Ard1955

Suggest you get your car back from the service center your dealing with, like shashi has mentioned they are just trying to fleece you.You may end up paying for works not required at this point and rest assured the bill is going to be pretty steep.Do not delay or else before you realize your engine may already have work started on it.

Take your car to FNG and have the required done. Sometimes FNG is way more cost effective and quality of job is as good as MASS.
I have identified a Garage at Saidapet through a friend of mine. If they insist on working on the engine, I'm taking it to the FNG and will get it done. Only fear is that, If something goes wrong with the workmanship, Can I Hold the FNG accountable? If it's MSM and something goes wrong, I can definitely question them. And with respect to the 8.5k estimate, I'll ask my SA for an estimate and post it here.

Last edited by theMAG : 9th February 2019 at 18:19. Reason: Back-back posts merged
Old 9th February 2019, 14:16   #776
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
SA quoted 8.5k just for the timing belt replacement. He said the tensioner bearing, idler bearing and all the other related parts will be replaced.
Lol! Are you sure you haven't plonked a V8 in there?

There is no such bearing in Alto. Just a tensioner. Even if they change the pulleys, it still won't cross 3k. Chennai being a Tier1 city, I am expecting the labour to be high. Even if that is accounted, 8.5k is nowhere justifiable. Max 4k is what they can charge you.

Quote:
And one more doubt, What's the average kilometer timeline for an overhaul? I thought since this has already come up, Why not do it now? I cannot afford a breakdown in the middle of the road because elders will be traveling along with me.
There is no timeline as such, all depends on the way it is maintained. I have seen engines needing overhaul in as little as 30k kms, whereas my own car, with the same F8D motor, is happily chugging alone at 3.3Lac kms.

Timing belt should be changed in F8D proactively as its an interference engine. But, trust me, a million other things can go wrong before the engine will break down and need an overhaul. Engines don't die suddenly without any symptom. They'll emit smoke, consume engine oil, mileage will go for a toss, pickup will decrease, plugs may get fouled etc, before the engine will give up. It warns you well in advance.

To accurately estimate the condition of an engine, get a compression test (both wet and dry) done.

If the MASS has given you an estimate of 8.5k for a timing belt change, and if your car is an Alto with an F8D motor, take your car and head to any FNG of your choice. No point dealing with such thugs.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th February 2019, 20:38   #777
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Lol! Are you sure you haven't plonked a V8 in there?

There is no such bearing in Alto. Just a tensioner. Even if they change the pulleys, it still won't cross 3k. Chennai being a Tier1 city, I am expecting the labour to be high. Even if that is accounted, 8.5k is nowhere justifiable. Max 4k is what they can charge you.

There is no timeline as such, all depends on the way it is maintained. I have seen engines needing overhaul in as little as 30k kms, whereas my own car, with the same F8D motor, is happily chugging alone at 3.3Lac kms.

Timing belt should be changed in F8D proactively as its an interference engine. But, trust me, a million other things can go wrong before the engine will break down and need an overhaul. Engines don't die suddenly without any symptom. They'll emit smoke, consume engine oil, mileage will go for a toss, pickup will decrease, plugs may get fouled etc, before the engine will give up. It warns you well in advance.

To accurately estimate the condition of an engine, get a compression test (both wet and dry) done.

If the MASS has given you an estimate of 8.5k for a timing belt change, and if your car is an Alto with an F8D motor, take your car and head to any FNG of your choice. No point dealing with such thugs.

Regards,
Shashi
Okay, So now these jokers are quoting 40k as an estimate because they claim they don't know what all could be damaged inside. They'll only know once they remove everything. I asked them why wasn't this informed to me earlier when you guys gave me the estimate of 10k? They said all this is unexpected and they can't quote so much at that point of time. I asked them what is the whole idea of an estimate then? He said "Sir, this might even end with 20k, But the maximum it could go to 40k!" I told them I'm tired of their little games and said I'm taking the car back. They said I would have to pay "labour hour charges" for the past 5 days !

I said I'm not paying a single penny out of my pocket for their clown show and have spoken to the TSM through a reference. Finally at 6 pm today, The SA called and asked me to come in person tomorrow morning. Let's see what happens. I will keep this thread updated on the following advancement.
ard1955 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th February 2019, 20:50   #778
BHPian

Sorry for the delay in updating this thread. I finally got my car on 15th February, 2019. I was charged 12k in total for the jobs completed. This included replacing of all the belts, main pulley, crankshaft pulley, tensioner bearing. The mechanic still hasn't sent me the bill. He said he'll send it tomorrow. Meanwhile, My car encountered another problem today. The key slotted in the ignition but refused to turn, meaning it was just jammed and refused to move. I could take the key out but couldn't turn it to start the car. Then called my mechanic and he came. He said the key cylinder was jammed and had to be replaced. The car had to be moved and the steering was locked. So he removed the steering wheel and other components at the spot. He removed the cylinder and did something and Voila! It was no longer stuck. Then we started the car and we drove it to the workshop. I was advised to change the cylinder. I was quoted 10k for (2 Keys, Key lock set, Immobilizer and programming the immobilizer). Will mostly get my car tomorrow. Will post the detailed expenditures once I get the bill.
Old 16th March 2019, 08:49   #779
BHPian

So after the belts were changed, a screeching noise from the engine bay was heard frequently. Spoke to my mechanic and he asked me to bring the car for inspection. Turns out they were loose and the tension was adjusted. There was also the dreaded caliper pin noise. My mechanic said, new pins have to be bought, given to lathe, machined according to the dimensions and then fit. I gave the go ahead and he got it done under three hours. I was charged 2000/- for this!
Old 16th March 2019, 14:04   #780
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So after the belts were changed, a screeching noise from the engine bay was heard frequently. Spoke to my mechanic and he asked me to bring the car for inspection. Turns out they were loose and the tension was adjusted. There was also the dreaded caliper pin noise. My mechanic said, new pins have to be bought, given to lathe, machined according to the dimensions and then fit. I gave the go ahead and he got it done under three hours. I was charged 2000/- for this!
I don't quite get this. Why new pins had to go to lathe? New pins can be lubricated by special caliper grease and installed, if they are to be changed. Else, if in good shape, old ones are mostly good to go after lubrication.

Was this MASS?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks