Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2011, 13:45   #76
Senior - BHPian

re: Maruti Alto - Issues

Yes! I guess it's the same issue with my Alto too (but mine is less than three years old). Any idea how to fix it? Would replacing the cable/spring solve this issue? I was worried that some thing was wrong with the master cylinder and that it may cause reduction in braking efficiency.

Last edited by jinojohnt : 9th March 2011 at 13:46.
Old 12th March 2011, 22:48   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
Yes! I guess it's the same issue with my Alto too (but mine is less than three years old). Any idea how to fix it? Would replacing the cable/spring solve this issue? I was worried that some thing was wrong with the master cylinder and that it may cause reduction in braking efficiency.
Hello,
In my case i had got the rear drum brakes cleaned.I guess the brake dust coupled with moisture in air or whatever was the cause of the problem.

I was advised by the mechanic not to engage the parking brake overnight which i follow till today.Only whenever i found i had left the brake on overnight would i get the brake problem the next day.
Old 13th March 2011, 22:09   #78
BHPian

My Alto is a 2005 Model, done about 36K, I have been facing this problem Kindly suggest:

From the last 4-6 Months, if anybody sits at the back of the car they complain that the car wobles, & i have been hearing this from a lot of people so basically i went thru all threads here & thought of changing my tyres so changed 2 tyres to new (Bridgestone Soft) & I got it fixed to the front.

The other tyres are old, I mean my car has just done 34K, so I guess its really not that old.

Initially I didnt have this problem after changing the tyres, but now its again cropped up, I have done the tyre balancing & allignement, & run with Nitrogen with 30PS on all 4 tyres.

PS:
Before the change of tyres I saw a huge vibration in my steering column when I had hit 100KMPH on the highway. After this I got the two new tyres, I changed my front shocks & I havent experienced that vibration since the new ones.
Old 13th March 2011, 22:40   #79
SAS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crn12 View Post
My Alto is a 2005 Model, done about 36K, I have been facing this problem Kindly suggest:

From the last 4-6 Months, if anybody sits at the back of the car they complain that the car wobles, & i have been hearing this from a lot of people so basically i went thru all threads here & thought of changing my tyres so changed 2 tyres to new (Bridgestone Soft) & I got it fixed to the front.

The other tyres are old, I mean my car has just done 34K, so I guess its really not that old.

Initially I didnt have this problem after changing the tyres, but now its again cropped up, I have done the tyre balancing & allignement, & run with Nitrogen with 30PS on all 4 tyres.

PS:
Before the change of tyres I saw a huge vibration in my steering column when I had hit 100KMPH on the highway. After this I got the two new tyres, I changed my front shocks & I havent experienced that vibration since the new ones.
I too had a similar problem. I too have a 2005 Alto LXi although it's done around 67k kms currently. I had the similar problem around 50k kms when I was on the stock MRF ZVTS tyres. Those tyres lost their shape and became a little bald, although they had tread enough for another 10k kms. The wobble was due to them. You cannot even rectify that even after wheel balancing. The only way to do so is to replace the tyres to new ones. The MRF ones are durable upto around 55k kms and then require a change.

I changed to Michelin XM1+ and the problem was solved. So in a nutshell, I'd recommend 2 things:
1. Get your rear tyres balanced.
2. If that too doesn't solve the problem, then change to new tyres. Either Bridgestone Turanza or Michelin XM1+. Both are awesome for the Alto although the XM1+ is a tyre to experience: it's in a league by itself.
Old 14th March 2011, 20:30   #80
BHPian

Thanks SAS for your kind response,

I was thinking of the same & i guess I dont hav much options. Would you know where i can buy the Michelin XM1+ in blr? & Is it ok to have two tyres from Bridgestone & 2 from Michelin? (Same Size ofcourse)
Old 14th March 2011, 21:41   #81
SAS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crn12 View Post
Thanks SAS for your kind response,

I was thinking of the same & i guess I dont hav much options. Would you know where i can buy the Michelin XM1+ in blr? & Is it ok to have two tyres from Bridgestone & 2 from Michelin? (Same Size ofcourse)
I'm not sure where you could get it in bangalore, but you can search the team bhp directory. Generally it would be better to avoid having 2 tyres of 1 company and 2 of the other. I suggest you continue with bridgestone and then change the complete set when they get worn out. You could also go for 2 bridgestone and 2 michelins, but run both on the same axle and when you rotate tyres, rotate them following an "X" pattern, viz, front left with rear right and vice versa.
Old 16th March 2011, 11:00   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAS View Post
I'm not sure where you could get it in bangalore, but you can search the team bhp directory. Generally it would be better to avoid having 2 tyres of 1 company and 2 of the other. I suggest you continue with bridgestone and then change the complete set when they get worn out. You could also go for 2 bridgestone and 2 michelins, but run both on the same axle and when you rotate tyres, rotate them following an "X" pattern, viz, front left with rear right and vice versa.
ok, I will try to do some shopping this weekend & would let you know after I fit them with new ones. I hope that wobbling disappears after this!
Old 29th August 2011, 17:34   #83
Senior - BHPian

I've been changing the wiper blades every year with new Bosch ones, but not satisfied with the quality of late. Any other suggested brand which can be sourced from Trivandrum?
Old 6th September 2011, 00:03   #84
SAS
BHPian

Quote:
I've been changing the wiper blades every year with new Bosch ones, but not satisfied with the quality of late. Any other suggested brand which can be sourced from Trivandrum?
Bosch is the best in the industry. Hope your dealer is selling you an original pair and not a fake. I guess you would be using a lot of wipers given you're in Kerala and the heavy all year monsoons. I'm afraid, I cannot suggest any other brand better than Bosch (original ones). If you want to improve the life of your wipers and windshield, I suggest you put a few drops of shampoo in your windshield water spray. That should lubricate the wipers when you use it to clear your screen. And get the wiping range of your wipers adjusted when you service the vehicle to ensure it does not hit the bonnet nor touches the A pillar on the other extreme.

Some workshops also have an option of only changing the rubber on the blade instead of the entire wiper, maybe you could explore that option if the above ones does not work.
Old 6th September 2011, 08:37   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

+2 to that ; I tried Bosch first in 2006,was dissatisfied,moved to Syndicate,was more dissatisfied and am now with Bosch.

Dust kills blades ; so they need to be wiped everyday with a cloth dipped in water so that the dust does not cut through the fine blade ; one micro millimeter cut in rubber and you'll see streaks
Old 6th September 2011, 09:17   #86
Senior - BHPian

I think it has more to do with the quality of the blades too. My 15 year old cielo gets a wiper change every year from the service center, and it doesn't show lines within a week like my 3 year old Alto. My A-star is relatively new (4 months), and the OEM wiper is pretty good.
Old 6th September 2011, 09:25   #87
BHPian

Bosch is good, you need to take care of the blades as well. Wash them and gently clean the blades with a damp cloth. Remember, Gently clean the blade , not with force or the rubber may some day rip off. This will remove the fine dust from the blades.
If you need to try another one, you can look for Hella wiper blades too.
Old 11th September 2011, 20:09   #88
Senior - BHPian

1. When I rub my hand over the wind-screen, I can feel some rough areas, may be because of dirt sticking to the glass. The wiper issue could be because of this - how to clean this without scratching the glass? The dirt doesn't go off with a normal soap-wash.

2. My driver side rear-view mirror got shattered because of a speeding car last week. Are (manually) internal adjustable rear-view mirrors available for Alto (800 cc)? What's the price?
Old 11th September 2011, 20:46   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
1. When I rub my hand over the wind-screen, I can feel some rough areas, may be because of dirt sticking to the glass. The wiper issue could be because of this - how to clean this without scratching the glass? The dirt doesn't go off with a normal soap-wash.

2. My driver side rear-view mirror got shattered because of a speeding car last week. Are (manually) internal adjustable rear-view mirrors available for Alto (800 cc)? What's the price?
1.the rough spots could be due to road tar kicked up during rains by vehicles passing ahead of you;try using a cloth dipped in diesel on a sample area and then wash with soap solution and see
2.you can try the old Alto VX or the old Zen VX ORVM ; should be in the price range of 600 rupees or so.
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2011, 11:22   #90
BHPian

Hi!

I am a newbie to both Team BHP and driving. I have an Alto LX (2003 make). It was purchased, pre-worshipped in 2009. However regular usage started since Feb 2011 (I was out of town before that). The car has clocked 29845 kms on the odometer. Even the previous owner was not a prolific user.

Now I use it regularly for my office commute which is 45 kms bothways.
I have been regular with the servicing since I took her up, after my return.

Things were going smooth, until around couple of months back, I felt the car vibrating as a whole sometimes and then comes to normalcy after sometime. During these fits, the car would become sluggish to the accelerator input. I used to feel as if it is out of my control. I was never able to figure out the issue and was neither re-create it at will. It was random!

Got the service guys check it thoroughly and they replaced the brake pads and the suspension was re-worked (damage due to corrosion).
Since then the vibration is minimal, but now I am able to recreate it.

Lets say I run the car for around 10-15 kms and shutdown the engine for sometime (say waiting for my buddy). Then when I crank it up again, that vibration and unruly behavior creeps again. I pullover to the side-bed and after 5-6 secs the vibration ceases and the car is back to normal behavior.

It never happens on a cold-start!

I find this utterly strange and thought you might be able to help me figure the issue.

Due to the humidity levels in Kolkata, it is pretty difficult to fight corrosion and I am having a tough time dealing with it.

Some other details which might be helpful:
Highway mileage - 18-20 kmpl (tankful to tankful)
City mileage - 16-17 kmpl (tankful to tankful)

I am a sedate driver. I prefer the hooligans to do their monkey business away from my car. I never floor the A pedal. Keep tire pressures at the recommended level. I have a "I Drive Safe" sticker posted to the bum of my chum (car)!

Thanks for your help and guidance. :-)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks