Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2010, 07:24   #46
Senior - BHPian

Ok checked on the net. Valeo signature series and DF pro . Are they available in MASS? and which model is available for the alto?
Old 21st May 2010, 10:36   #47
Senior - BHPian

Are there different brands available in Maruti spares? But if we want to use them, we have to look at independent workshops only. Mass will have only their own brands.

An OT query here: While visiting MASS (MSM) I have seen a 3 cylinder engine block in the display widow, labelled as ~ Rs 12000.00. They called it a half engine and when I enquired, was told it was for the M 800. But they told no such part was available for the Alto. So how will they rebuild the engine of the Alto? I could not get a clear reply. Does anyone know the details and costs? I am just curious!
Old 21st May 2010, 10:52   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Are there different brands available in Maruti spares? But if we want to use them, we have to look at independent workshops only. Mass will have only their own brands.

An OT query here: While visiting MASS (MSM) I have seen a 3 cylinder engine block in the display widow, labelled as ~ Rs 12000.00. They called it a half engine and when I enquired, was told it was for the M 800. But they told no such part was available for the Alto. So how will they rebuild the engine of the Alto? I could not get a clear reply. Does anyone know the details and costs? I am just curious!
You cannot get a new engine from Maruti as it requires a valid reason(government vehicle, Police vehicle etc) & authorization for the same. Normal passenger vehicles are given a refurbished engine from a salvaged car only if the whole procedure is done under insurance. The half engines we see in the glass cases are salvaged parts with erased serial numbers and would require a new engine head with valves, spark plugs etc. I was told at my MASS.

Alto engine rebuild costs 38k+ labour if buying a salvaged engine from a totalled car & that too has to be done in an independent workshop.

I too want to know the model number of the valeo used in the alto/M800 5 speed

Last edited by JustCause : 21st May 2010 at 10:53.
Old 21st May 2010, 11:04   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCause View Post
You cannot get a new engine from Maruti as it requires a valid reason(government vehicle, Police vehicle etc) & authorization for the same. Normal passenger vehicles are given a refurbished engine from a salvaged car only if the whole procedure is done under insurance. The half engines we see in the glass cases are salvaged parts with erased serial numbers and would require a new engine head with valves, spark plugs etc. I was told at my MASS.

Alto engine rebuild costs 38k+ labour if buying a salvaged engine from a totalled car & that too has to be done in an independent workshop.

No no, I am wondering about the rebuild of a worn out engine only. Doing it under insurance arises only in case of an accident. And I am very sure that the part I saw at the MASS was a new one and not salvaged. I think since it is only the top half, the question of engine number does not arise.
Old 21st May 2010, 11:21   #50
Senior - BHPian

I saw the same poster (half engine) at a Dealer in Trivandrum 6 months back.
They say it costs less than engine repair.

Me - "What would you do with the engine number? Will I get RTO approval for this?"
Supervisor - "Dont worry, we would erase the new engine number. If you require, we can even punch the old engine number in the new block"
Old 21st May 2010, 12:08   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCause View Post

Off Topic
Your rebuild cost at 38k is out of this world. Whoever gave you the rates is definitely conning you.

Yeah maruti does make brand new block and sell them. They are not refurbished ones. TATA does that, they buy the old block form customers.

Now to the topic. Have you tried the hand brake test.? If not do it. So that you know for sure its the clutch plate, shudder may be other reasons too.

The Valeo is aftermarket clutch. Two instances I have seen maruti MGP packing a Valeo clutch.

FYI Maruti does not make each and every components, They outsource them. Who ever meets their quality requirements and Price the contract goes to them.
Old 21st May 2010, 13:01   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Off Topic
Your rebuild cost at 38k is out of this world. Whoever gave you the rates is definitely conning you.

Yeah maruti does make brand new block and sell them. They are not refurbished ones. TATA does that, they buy the old block form customers.

Now to the topic. Have you tried the hand brake test.? If not do it. So that you know for sure its the clutch plate, shudder may be other reasons too.

The Valeo is aftermarket clutch. Two instances I have seen maruti MGP packing a Valeo clutch.

FYI Maruti does not make each and every components, They outsource them. Who ever meets their quality requirements and Price the contract goes to them.
I did not get a rebuild done, this was when me and my friend were hunting for an engine rebuild for his M800 5Speed. Nevertheless, an engine rebuild was not an easy job and he bought a used Alto on my suggestion.

I tried the hand brake test and my engine revs for quite a while before stalling in 2nd gear, while in 3rd or 4th, it stalls easily. As mentioned earlier, I have my cables and bearings checked & adjusted, got to two MASS, both stated bad clutch and both refusing warranty replacement. Now, if I want to replace clutch, I want to make sure that it is of better quality & it is installed 100% correctly.

@jinojohnt
RTO is against engine transplant but, local shops will erase the existing serial by rubbing and stamp a new one for a small amount. Be warned that MASS may refuse service citing suspicious credentials & may also invite trouble as most stolen cars have re-stamped serials. Don't believe the supervisor unless some higher up offers documentation for the same.

@Gansan
You have seen the Head of the engine, that would be new. I am talking about the lower half. Exact refurbishing cost, I have no idea

Last edited by JustCause : 21st May 2010 at 13:07.
Old 21st May 2010, 17:13   #53
Senior - BHPian

Half engine is available for Alto too. Got this from the MGP thread:

10100M60B00 S HALF ENGINE ASSY (4 CYL) BG 19824.00
10100M70F00 S HALF ENGINE ASSY(ZEN) Y 32492.29
10100M72A00 S HALF ENGINE ASSY(4 VALVE,MPFI) Y 32492.29
10100M73C00 S HALF ENGINE ASSY WE 36677.06
10100M73D00 S HALF ENGINE ASSY(4 VALVE MPFI) EA 36677.06
10100M79F00 S HALF ENGINE ASSY,WAGON R R 27140.00
10100M79G00 S HALF ENGINE,ALTO LX T 18820.14
10100M84000 S HALF ENGINE ASSY (3 CYL) NV 12056.85
10100M84410 S HALF ENGINE ASSY(F8D/MPFI) N 18820.14

Model key:

MODEL CODE
M-800 C N
OMNI V
ALTO T
WAGONR R
ESTILO M
SWIFT K
DEZIRE K
A-STAR P
SX4 F
VERSA S
GRAND VITARA J
BALENO L
GYPSY G W
1000 CC B
ESTEEM E
ZEN Y
RITZ D
Old 23rd May 2010, 23:23   #54
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
My Alto Lxi Clutch replacement cost me 3000 Rs (2000Rs + 1000 Rs for Labour). I guess the price that I paid is on the higher side.
Your bill was about 1000 higher. From where did you get your work done ?
Old 24th May 2010, 13:10   #55
Senior - BHPian

I got the clutch replaced at a Maruti Authorised in Trivandrum (Eminent, near Mannanthala, Trivandrum). Another Maruti Authorised in Kazhakkoottam (Mobil 1 Care) quoted only 2000 Rs for part + labor, but didn't opt for it as the technician was a 15 year old boy.
Old 25th May 2010, 08:28   #56
Senior - BHPian

I was quoted Rs.4500 (2500 for the spare+2000 for labour) at Mandovi , Bangalore for my clutch replacement. Should I shop around?

Last edited by wildsdi5530 : 25th May 2010 at 08:29. Reason: Additional Details
Old 25th May 2010, 08:42   #57
BHPian

Same 4500 quote

Hi I serviced my Alto 04 lxi @25000kms yesterday and had the clutch shudder in first gear problem yesterday and he told me clutch needed to be replaced. Quoted 4500 all inclusive from sai service.Ps the whole service cost me 5590 rs without clutch replacement.Throttle body , Engine oil , filter gasket cover , Brake service , sensor calibration and injector cleaning.Charging 5590 to service Alto is just insane because its the cheapest car plus it gives me an average of 11.5 in full traffic conditions in bombay and no highway driving and the service engineer at sai service mumbai said that this was perfectly normal.
Old 25th May 2010, 08:49   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anky View Post
Hi I serviced my Alto 04 lxi @25000kms yesterday and had the clutch shudder in first gear problem yesterday and he told me clutch needed to be replaced. Quoted 4500 all inclusive from sai service.Ps the whole service cost me 5590 rs without clutch replacement.Throttle body , Engine oil , filter gasket cover , Brake service , sensor calibration and injector cleaning.Charging 5590 to service Alto is just insane because its the cheapest car plus it gives me an average of 11.5 in full traffic conditions in bombay and no highway driving and the service engineer at sai service mumbai said that this was perfectly normal.
Going by the above statements, I think it is better if I get my car serviced at independent garage & go to MASS for namesake service. My second free service itself cost Rs.2000 + they maligned my clutch. This makes me think that Maruti are using periodic service as their cash cow on their cheaper cars.

For starters <Thread>

Last edited by JustCause : 25th May 2010 at 08:52.
Old 14th June 2010, 10:07   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
My (dad's) Maruti 800 coolant reservoir was 'over-filled' by the workshop two months back, now the car is back at the workshop for coolant leak.
The coolant leaks so much that the reservoir gets empty after driving 10 km.

Just a coincidence, or the result of over filling?

Also, I really wonder why the coolant reservoir has a 'max' level marked, if it's safe to fill any where above the 'min' level.
I keep my Alto's coolant between 'min' and 'max' to avoid risk anyway.
I just noticed yesterday that my Alto Lxi user manual specifically says "Do not fill the coolant above max level".
Old 21st June 2010, 22:02   #60
SDP
Team-BHP Support

@anky -> Even I get ~12 kmpl in Mumbai traffic. I will check with the MASS when I get my next servicing done.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks