Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2020, 23:05   #796
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Alto - Issues

^^ I suggest you do one oil change with Helix HX5 15w40 mineral oil, before reverting to 5W40.

I am a regular at the Chromepet Shell. Their oil change facility is good, but the mechanic does not know anything about the oils. We should know our oil, and carry the filter with us. They may not have all the filters at any given time.

Last edited by Gansan : 25th January 2020 at 23:06.
Gansan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2020, 00:09   #797
BHPian

Hi all,

I'm currently facing two issues with 2007 Alto which has clocked 1,02,000 kms.

1. After heavy rains water enters the car and accumulates around left floor mat.I checked for ingress but could not find any.The car had overturned a few years back and I suspect a shoddy denting work.
What can be the causes and how to repair it?

2.One of the battery cells emits small bubbles every 6-7 seconds while the engine is running. Battery is over five years old. Is it time to replace the battery?

Kindly help.
Old 2nd September 2020, 00:33   #798
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape velocity View Post
Hi all,

1. After heavy rains water enters the car and accumulates around left floor mat.I checked for ingress but could not find any.The car had overturned a few years back and I suspect a shoddy denting work.

2.One of the battery cells emits small bubbles every 6-7 seconds while the engine is running. Battery is over five years old. Is it time to replace the battery?

Kindly help.
1. Check cowl, and fresh air vent area. Other reasons can be improper pasting of windshield, bad weatherstrips, etc.

2. Not sure what you mean, but it's normal for batteries to emit bubbles when they are being charged. But how are you seeing the bubbles? Through watch glass I hope.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2020, 00:39   #799
BHPian

Quote:
Hi all,

Which part of the car was repaired? I hope it is not the A-pillar or roof. You can see or feel water seepage (wetness, water marks like thick patches)? Incase of an impact to main parts of body shell, there are some locations which are needed to be sealed with silicone sealant, especially near water seepage areas. Only factory, showroom and few competent garages do it, did you get your car repaired at showroom or an outside bodyshop?

Quote:
Have you checked voltage of your battery? Bubbles can be emitted due to two reasons
1. Over charging of battery
2. More distill water in the cells.

5 years of battery life is a decent age for petrol vehicles. Lead Acid batteries cannot last forever but on few petrol cars batteries lasted for 8-9 years too.

Go to your nearest battery shop, get specific gravity of battery checked using hydrometer, with the same device get excess distill water removed from battery (if present). That should help! Also get the voltage of battery checked by multimeter.

Simple check to determine if the battery is in good health or not :

Connect multimeter to battery, crank the engine. While cranking if the voltage goes below 9v, it's time for battery replacement. If it's anywhere between 10-12, the battery is fine.

P.S: If you have the above tools (hydrometer and multimeter) you can do it yourself at home.

Last edited by vb-saan : 4th September 2020 at 06:56. Reason: Please avoid typing responses in bold letters. Thank you!
WhiteSierra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2020, 23:56   #800
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
1. Check cowl, and fresh air vent area. Other reasons can be improper pasting of windshield, bad weatherstrips, etc.

2. Not sure what you mean, but it's normal for batteries to emit bubbles when they are being charged. But how are you seeing the bubbles? Through watch glass I hope.

Regards,
Shashi

Some tiny bubbles pop up from one of the cells while the engine is running. See pic for reference.There is also some corrosive buildup under the clamp holding the battery although I keep on cleaning it time to time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSierra View Post
Which part of the car was repaired? I hope it is not the A-pillar or roof. You can see or feel water seepage (wetness, water marks like thick patches)? Incase of an impact to main parts of body shell, there are some locations which are needed to be sealed with silicone sealant, especially near water seepage areas. Only factory, showroom and few competent garages do it, did you get your car repaired at showroom or an outside bodyshop?
The car was repaired by my father at an ASS in a different town where the accident took place.Since, the car turned turtle there must have been damage to roof and pillars.The poor workmanship of the car is evident from the attached pics.In a few months after the repair, the windshield started coming off from its beading- cracked- and had to be replaced at an FNG where the denter found fault with the work done by the ASS,and assured, that this time windshield will be fitted properly with generous amount of sealant which will prevent any leakage. But sadly, that didnt happen and water still find its way into the cabin and puddles around left and right footmats. Previously, I had observed the water dripping into the cabin around the hook into which the right sunvisor lathches, but lately, I have not been able to locate the source as it rains only during night when the car is parked.

With regard to the battery, I measured the voltage with a multimeter. It was 12.32-12.34 when the engine was off.
Upon starting, it dropped to 10.37 Volt but quickly rose to 13.99-14.08 volts and remained as such. On full beam it was 13.80 volts.

Please give your inputs as to how much will it cost to fix the leakage alongwith changing the floor carpet etc.,, and what other changes do I need to make?
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Alto - Issues-inkedimg_20200831_172652_li.jpg  

Maruti Alto - Issues-inkedimg_20200903_151958_li.jpg  

Maruti Alto - Issues-inkedimg_20200903_152003_li.jpg  

Maruti Alto - Issues-inkedimg_20200903_152017_li.jpg  

Last edited by vb-saan : 4th September 2020 at 06:57. Reason: Quoted post edited.
Old 4th September 2020, 23:39   #801
BHPian

Quote:
Some tiny bubbles pop up from one of the cells while the engine is running. See pic for reference.There is also some corrosive buildup under the clamp holding the battery although I keep on cleaning it time to time.
Hi, you can open those battery caps and check the distill water level, if it is too much, remove little bit from the cells, remember all cells should have equal amount of distill water. A local battery shop guy will do it for you, they will have a hydrometer, get specific gravity checked in all cells, with that device itself they can remove excess water in the battery. You can also purchase hydrometer for 50 rupees or so in your local auto electrical stores.
Also for that corrosive buildup under clamp and sulfation near battery holding clamp, clean it thoroughly with water, dry it with a cloth, apply generous amount of Vaseline, keep doing it once in a while like about once in 6 months. your problem will be solved.

I have posted regarding the same on tips to maintain battery here (Car battery life - How long did your battery last?)
and here . (Which is the Best Car Battery Brand?)

Quote:
Since, the car turned turtle there must have been damage to roof and pillars.

But sadly, that didnt happen and water still find its way into the cabin and puddles around left and right footmats. Previously, I had observed the water dripping into the cabin around the hook into which the right sunvisor lathches

Please give your inputs as to how much will it cost to fix the leakage alongwith changing the floor carpet etc.,, and what other changes do I need to make?
In the pictures, I can see that the doors aren't aligned properly, there are huge gaps between doors and fenders. Go to a good door mechanic, he will assess the condition and he will adjust the doors properly. If the doors are properly aligned but the gaps are still evident (near front fender and A- pillar, you need to get the pillar and roof realigned on a frame machine. Usually denters will have a huge hydraulic jack, they will measure from one corner of the car to other diagonally from A to C pillar in two ways like an X direction. They will put hydraulic force and set it right (Pull or Push the A pillar in it's correct position)

Don't change your floor carpet until the leak is found and fixed, also get your carpet foam cleaned instead of buying a new one, on top of that you can install a PVC waterproof matting which would cost about 1200 for Alto. Before doing that when the original carpet is removed, get an anti rust coat or red oxide coat on the floor panel so that your vehicle doesn't rust in future. All these things at local denting shop would cost less than 10k if you negotiate hard. There are many local garages who were affected financially by lock down and this is better time to bargain and get things done.

Quote:
With regard to the battery, I measured the voltage with a multimeter. It was 12.32-12.34 when the engine was off.
Upon starting, it dropped to 10.37 Volt but quickly rose to 13.99-14.08 volts and remained as such. On full beam it was 13.80 volts.
Not just Voltage, even Amperage should be good in order for the battery to give you enough cranking output. Based on your voltagge readings, looks like your alternator and battery are perfect, even 10.37 v on cranking is a good number. Just get the hydrometer, check specific gravity of each cell, get rid of excess water if present, and apply vaseline on battery terminals and the clamp, so that no sulphur or oxidation would build up again.

Last edited by WhiteSierra : 4th September 2020 at 23:48.
WhiteSierra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2020, 22:09   #802
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSierra View Post
Based on your voltagge readings, looks like your alternator and battery are perfect, even 10.37 v on cranking is a good number.
Hi escape velocity, I think the voltage when engine is OFF at 12.32-12.34 is on the lower side and points to battery not being fully charged.

I think it needs to be charged.
Old 23rd September 2020, 10:52   #803
BHPian

Need your suggestions,
I found a below damage in the muffler in my 2007 Alto 800.

Maruti Alto - Issues-whatsapp-image-20200923-10.49.27-am.jpeg

Should i have to replace the complete muffler for this or can i take it to a local workshop and get it welded ?
Old 23rd September 2020, 10:57   #804
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash22 View Post
Need your suggestions,

Should i have to replace the complete muffler for this or can i take it to a local workshop and get it welded ?
If there are no internal rattle noises then you can get it patch welded, no harm in that.
Leoshashi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 11:18   #805
BHPian

Since the silencer is already rusted, it will keep developing leaks in coming years at different points even after the weld, and welding it could become an yearly ritual.

In my 2006 Esteem, i had to weld my silencer every year after monsoon. I spend more than what a new silencer would cost(~3K) on just welding and re-welding. I was being charged 700-1K for welding which was a bit stiff. I should have gone to a local welder rather than semi-reputed garages.
AntPaul is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 12:53   #806
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Need your suggestions,

Attachment 2058307

Replace it. It is rusted already.

If I am not wrong the muffler comes in two parts so you can easily replace one that is rusted. It should not be more than 4K for parts and labour. I replaced one in my Esteem for 3K five years ago.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2020, 11:13   #807
BHPian

Quote:
Need your suggestions,

Attachment 2058307

Update on this issue.
For Welding, the quoted price was 500 INR. Since its already rusted, Welder was not sure if the Welding will hold for longer duration.
As suggested by our members, I replaced the complete muffler set from my FNG for 3,200 INR. Inquired at Vishnu cars Chennai and they quoted 6,500 INR for the same muffler change. Car is super silent now.Didnt have pics as of now. Will post accordingly.

Thanks.
ash22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 22:23   #808
BHPian

Quote:
Update on this issue.
For Welding, the quoted price was 500 INR. Since its already rusted, Welder was not sure if the Welding will hold for longer duration.
As suggested by our members, I replaced the complete muffler set from my FNG for 3,200 INR. Inquired at Vishnu cars Chennai and they quoted 6,500 INR for the same muffler change. Car is super silent now.Didnt have pics as of now. Will post accordingly.

Thanks.
Hi Ash22,

I had faced a similar issue in my 2007 Alto a couple of years back.
Although this reply is coming late but would tell you that you've made the right decision for replacement since the exhaust in your pic looks really badly rusted. I went for repair first and then had to replace within a month. My experience is in this post and a few earlier ones:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ml#post4506554 (Maruti Alto - Issues)
guptavis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2020, 19:31   #809

Hi all.

I own Alto Lxi 2007 bought as pre-owned in 2013. Current odo is 72k.

All routine service is carried out by me as DIY strictly. Previously the car had problems with the clutch. When I release the clutch I get a thud sound.

So with the help of mechanic the following things are replaced.

1. MGP clutch set (It had valeo plate, cover and release bearing)
2. MGP clutch cable
3. MGP engine mounts all three.

Post clutch change for 1000kms clutch was very smooth. But now it was back to square one. Now I am getting the same thud sound even with new clutch when I release the clutch. The problem is described as follows

1. Start the car, depress clutch and put first gear. No issues
2. Release the clutch pedal. At one point before full release you hear a thud sound.
3. After releasing clutch fully, and accelerating, now again depress the clutch, engage second gear.
4. Release the clutch pedal, same thud sound. Present in all gears including reverse

To avoid this sound, I have to release the pedal very very slowly.

Alto owners please confirm if this issue is present in every Alto because my mechanic says so.

Clutch play is within limits, all new clutch and mounts. No issues with suspension.

Please advice.
Old 8th December 2020, 21:58   #810
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajayabd View Post
To avoid this sound, I have to release the pedal very very slowly.
Alto owners please confirm if this issue is present in every Alto because my mechanic says so.
At least my Alto doesn't have this issue (2008 model). I think it has something to do with the pressure plate, release fork or the clutch cable.

I had to replace the clutch every 12000 km (three times), and some trial and error settings-change done by the local mechanic seems to have fixed the issue (running fine for the past 40000 km). Even he doesn't know what fixed the issue.

Below are my opinions on the basis of my experience:
1. The problem with the clutch is that there are not many mechanics who are knowledgeable or capable of adjusting the settings. Most of them say 'there is nothing much we can change in the clutch settings because everything is set at the factory.
2. You have no way of ensuring that all the parts have been indeed replaced as claimed, because it is difficult to unmount and check. Since there are too many parts, you need to understand each part and stay with your car at a local garage to ensure that the parts are changed. I replaced the Clutch plate, pressure plate, release bearing, release fork and clutch cable at Popular Automobiles Trivandrum (at least got billed), but when the clutch failed again in 12000 km, I got it opened at a local garage to find that the release fork was still the factory fitted one (you can make out from the robotic welding). When I raised this with the CRM, the reply I get is "We cannot bill a part that was not replaced, because everything is computer"

At least in my case, the (trial and error) adjustment of the clutch cable adjuster-nut across clutch failures seems to have done the trick.
My suggestion is to lubricate the clutch cable first (cheapest option), and then try out other options if that doesn't work.

Last edited by jinojohnt : 8th December 2020 at 22:04.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks