Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2009, 11:56   #1
BHPian

Wagon R : Sound in Rear shocks when moves from rest

Hi All,

I have a Wagon R about 6-7 years old. Past few weeks there is a peculiar problem which I am facing : whenever I start the car and it starts to move there is a sound from the back of the car , it stops once the car has started moving.

I opened the rear boot doorand tried pressing the car and there was sound from rear shockups.

What should I do , any idea . How much is the cost involved servicing rear shocks ?
Old 17th October 2009, 20:59   #2
BANNED

Sure that this is the shocks and not under greased brake pads?
Old 18th October 2009, 14:56   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Most definitely the hand brake + slight jamming. Bet you use the handbrake when the car is parked, right?
Old 18th October 2009, 16:16   #4
BHPian

Had the same issue in my alto, as @GTO said, it was the handbrake getting jammed.
Old 18th October 2009, 20:40   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Rider View Post
Had the same issue in my alto, as @GTO said, it was the handbrake getting jammed.
Hand brakes binding.
Old 19th October 2009, 10:37   #6
Senior - BHPian

Hi,
Is the car hesistant to move the moment you start?If so then you probably give it some more gas then there probably will be a sound like a thud and you move on.

If the sitution is like described above then as other's have said it is case of jamming rear brakes.To be sure , next time you come home do not engage the parking brake overnight and check again the next morning.
If there is no sound and no hesitancy of the car then you can be sure it is the handbrake issue.You will probably need to get the rear drums cleaned.

When i was having a similar problem i was advised by the mechanic not to engage the parking brake overnight especially during the rainy season.So unless i am not parking on a slope etc overnight i leave the handbrake disengaged.
Old 19th October 2009, 10:46   #7
BHPian

Thanks all for your advice.

I dont use handbrakes much . For overnight parking I use gears but maybe the sound is from brakes only. Sometimes when I brake my ca during the signals there is a thud from rear .
Old 21st October 2009, 19:20   #8
BANNED

Well guys, nice to know the diagnosis, but what is the cure?? WIll greasing some part help?

I too am having the irritating issue. Will go away after a few hundred meters of driving.
Old 21st October 2009, 19:43   #9
BHPian

Hi All,

even i had the same peculiar problem in my wagon R but hte sound was from front.

so when got it checked he told that the Ball joints and some other have become very weak and end up in changing the entire sets.

finally its it in track now.
Old 21st October 2009, 21:15   #10
BANNED

I doubt that you have worn out rubber bushes on the shocks . The car being 6-7 yrs old ,the bushes must have given away if you have not changed the suspesnion bush kits . try to get the bushes checked .

Most Viewed