Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2005, 10:23   #1
BANNED

LPG problem in Modded Accent 1.5

Hey Guys,

One of my freinds has a modded accent and recently installed a LPG kit in Mumbai. Within a few days of fitting the same he started experiencing various problems listed below:

1> Loss of power by almost 50%
2> Car spewing white smoke continously(idle as well as on revving)
3> Started consuming oil.
4> Does not rev over 5000RPM.
5> RPM drops suddenly whilst idling.
6> Car feels like 1 cylinder is not working.

All the above symptons are whilst the car is on LPG. When the car is driven on petrol no smoke, loss of power but only 5-7%, revs till its limiter cuts off.

What i want to ask is where the problem would lie and whether driving on LPG would damage his engine owing to the above symptons. On taking a compression test thankfully all cylinders were over 200.

Please advise.

Viper
Old 28th July 2005, 11:16   #2
Senior - BHPian

is the quantity of LPG being supplied adequate? do you hear any knocking while driving the car...
Old 28th July 2005, 11:18   #3
BANNED

no knocking but I definitely feel that the supply is less on driving the car.

Viper
Old 28th July 2005, 11:22   #4
Senior - BHPian

Icrease the LPG flow and I think that it should solve the prob...
Old 28th July 2005, 11:36   #5
F50
Senior - BHPian

I dont know about Accent but when I used to drive LPG Omni the engine settings used to be different for car running on petrol and LPG.
For LPG, the engine should be slower and petrol a bit faster ... otherwise car will stall.
Donno about other cars.
Old 28th July 2005, 11:38   #6
BANNED

Thanks Physco,

Wil ask him to try that out. You did not answer if driving in present condition will ruin the engine.

PS - I also forgot to mention that he gets a pathetic avg both in petrol(4-5kmpl after fitting LPG) and LPG(2-3Kmpkg) as per my friend.

Viper
Old 28th July 2005, 11:48   #7
BHPian

Dude, thats a major indication that something is seriously wrong in the car not just the fuel you are using.

May be timimgs settings anything
needs a serious checkup
Old 28th July 2005, 12:07   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper
PS - I also forgot to mention that he gets a pathetic avg both in petrol(4-5kmpl after fitting LPG) and LPG(2-3Kmpkg) as per my friend.

The airflow is also getting choked with the LPG adapter ask him to a larger one should help the car.
Old 30th July 2008, 22:42   #9
BHPian

try this !

He needs to
1) change the plugs pronto, if it feels like there is one cylinder less , then it has to be something to do with current supplied ( or the lack of it) for combustion.
2) have the compression checked and also the throttle body cleaned and the Idle speed actuator serviced ( cleaned ) : that 'll take care of the RPM dropping suddenly , air filter replaced.
3) have the car scanned at a hyundai ASC mainly for the timing and also the map sensor values and irregularities.
This is assuming that the LPG kit is ok and fitted properly .

Taking a second opinion about the kit from another reputed vendor should be a good idea.
Accent ought to give about 6.5-8 kmpl on LPG in city like mumbai on AC. What he is getting is ridiculous , unless he rides the throttle ....

--------------------------------------------------------------
the one about 6 months waiting for dezire was very funny .
Old 31st July 2008, 00:26   #10
Senior - BHPian

Highnoon - You just replied to a question posted more than 3 years back! I'm sure he must have found a solution by now!
Old 31st July 2008, 09:57   #11
Senior - BHPian

You say the car is consuming oil? this is a sign of brunt piston ring. Check the compression ratio. And as Pycho said, check the fueling, if the car runs lean for too long, all these problems will amplify.
Is the car running a closed loop system? for fueling and/or ignition. get is checked for faulty sensors.
Old 31st July 2008, 10:01   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Highnoon - You just replied to a question posted more than 3 years back! I'm sure he must have found a solution by now!
Thanks Ishaan,

He did find a solution. he sold the car

Viper
Old 31st July 2008, 10:20   #13
Senior - BHPian

That's the only solution if you go for LPG conversion.
I too struggling with my LPG converted WagonR.
It gives only 7.5kmpl/lpg in Chennai City with 100% AC.
I have done 'n' numbers of tunning and replacing all neccessary components.
But still i am not getting Good FE.
Planned to sell the car.
Old 31st July 2008, 18:58   #14
BHPian

Hi Karthik,
What you say is true really. long term reliabilty is real suspect. Till I did about 14000 km , it was great going , not even small niggles except one time when i had the throttle body serviced , but i guess it was long due.
I take care of my car very well , since then i am having some small issue now and then...... And worse still it aint getting resolved. The Fe is excellent still - 8 kmpl on full Ac in mumbai traffic , and 11 on highway. Partly on AC its about 8.75 km in city and 12.5 km on highway.
But it does not feel very smooth now a days. It could be the O2 sensor / cat con clogging.
Lpg seems to cause deterioration of some parts sooner that on petrol. So the whole thing about economy / savings just goes out of the window if one has to replace expensive parts like ISA , fuel pump , coil..... etc. Even normal maintenance is also higher due to frequent PLug change, filter change.
Plus i feel with the LAMBDA closed loop kit with single point injection is as it is costlier than a normal kit , couple that with reduced FE , and assuming its a older car that you are converting , the very purpose seems futile unless you are doing great many km per month ( like the aKBAR TRAVELS VERSAs which do like 100000km in year or even more and also report many problems , ) it does not make too much sense economically.
I'll probly just about recover my kit cost in 2 years and assuming that car is still ok by then ( she would be 7 yr old then ) can save some money ........ after that.

Most Viewed