Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2009, 16:00   #1
Senior - BHPian

Verna CRDI fuel efficiency

I bought a new Verna CRDI SX 3 weeks back. The car is doing pretty well and it has just crossed 1000km 2 days back, the 1st service is not yet done. One thing which is worrying me is the mileage. Its probably not returning the kind of mileage I expected. I know its a new car and it might improve with use, but it will be great if I can get feedback from other users. I am getting 11.5km in city and 15.1 on highways with a relatively light foot (full tank to full tank method, same fuel station - Shell). I expected more, but is this fine during the initial period?

Last edited by dinu2506 : 21st October 2009 at 16:02.
Old 21st October 2009, 16:35   #2
BHPian

Yes, 11.5 is absolutely fine for a new engine. Expect around 13.5 to 14kmpl in city driving after the run in period.
Old 21st October 2009, 16:47   #3
BHPian

Even I started off with a relatively poor mileage of around 11. It has come up to a steady 14 now at the end of 1 year and hopefully can bring it up to 15 now that Ive finished 3rd service.
Dont worry too much about this. It should improve with time. Also an eye on the driving habits.
Old 21st October 2009, 16:51   #4
Team-BHP Support

I don't know what the expected milage should be on a new Verna.
But if you feel its low, suggest you get your tire pressure checked.

Do remember that pressure needs to be checked on cold tires.
So do it first thing in the morning, travelling as little as possible by going to the nearest air pump.
Old 21st October 2009, 17:21   #5
BHPian

Hopefully, your Verna's FE will improve after the first service. Make sure you get the air filter cleaned in the first service. And as bblost suggested, get your tyre pressure checked. I would also suggest you get the oil changed in the first service, although Hyundai recommends the first oil change at 10,000 kms. I have seen, especially with SX variants, that they tend to be in the dealer's stockyard for longer periods, and the factory filled oil is atleast 3-4 months old, maybe more, when your car reaches its first service. Check the condition of the oil in your Verna by pulling out the dipstick. I plan to change the oil in my Verna SX during the first service too.

Also how long do you drive your Verna everyday? Diesel engines reach their optimum performance level only when they have warmed up. If you travel very short distances, your engine does not reach its optimum temperature and therefore your FE is a bit low.
Old 21st October 2009, 21:10   #6
Senior - BHPian

Thanks all, thats reassuring. Coming to tire pressures, I have upgraded the stock tires to 195 60 R14, so that too must be contributing to a lesser FE to a small extent. The tire pressures are fine, in fact, a wee bit overinflated (33 psi against the recommended 32psi). I manage around 10.5 kmpl on my Civic in the same driving cycle, so was a bit let down by the 11.5 on the Verna. I hope it improves with time.

Should I bring the FE issue to notice during the 1st service? I might be giving it this weekend.
Old 21st October 2009, 23:16   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinu2506 View Post
Thanks all, thats reassuring. Coming to tire pressures, I have upgraded the stock tires to 195 60 R14, so that too must be contributing to a lesser FE to a small extent. The tire pressures are fine, in fact, a wee bit overinflated (33 psi against the recommended 32psi). I manage around 10.5 kmpl on my Civic in the same driving cycle, so was a bit let down by the 11.5 on the Verna. I hope it improves with time.

Should I bring the FE issue to notice during the 1st service? I might be giving it this weekend.
I am running 195s and there is no visible difference in the mileage. Considering the short time that you have run the car, give it some time to settle down and get used to your driving habits as well. I'm sure even the mechanics will say the same thing - "new car sir, give it time sir, blah blah". But yeah, that shouldnt stop you from bringing it to their attention.
Old 21st October 2009, 23:23   #8
Senior - BHPian

^^Mr. Press, you're running 'energy' tyres. Its supposed to help FE a bit.
Old 22nd October 2009, 00:09   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
^^Mr. Press, you're running 'energy' tyres. Its supposed to help FE a bit.
yes, thats why I said no difference in mileage as such. But does shifting from 185 to 195 affect mileage that heavily?
Old 30th October 2009, 15:58   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pras.oct25 View Post
I am running 195s and there is no visible difference in the mileage. Considering the short time that you have run the car, give it some time to settle down and get used to your driving habits as well. I'm sure even the mechanics will say the same thing - "new car sir, give it time sir, blah blah". But yeah, that shouldnt stop you from bringing it to their attention.
I got my first service done today. The service station said the same thing "new car sir, give it time sir, blah blah". They also checked on the Hi Scan and said everything is hunky dory. So, lets see how it improves with age. I'm tanking her up today, lets see in the next fill.
Old 3rd November 2009, 12:35   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinu2506 View Post
I am getting 11.5km in city and 15.1 on highways with a relatively light foot (full tank to full tank method, same fuel station - Shell). I expected more, but is this fine during the initial period?
Hi Dinu,
Even I am owning a Verna CRDI SX for the past 7 months. Even I faced the same problem of lower FE initially which I attributed to my sporty driving style. But however, I also used to tank up judiciously at only Shell Petrol Bunks.But one instance while on a long drive I was forced to tank up at IOC outlet. And voila the FE returned was 18Kmpl for that tank, whereas I would get max 15 Kmpl on the highway and around 11.5 - 12 kmpl in the City (now around 14-15kmpl)

Ever since then I have made sure that I dont tank up at Shell bunks. One reasoning that I got from my fellow Team- Bhpians is that Verna CDRI engine works better on normal diesel rather than one with additives which would be present in Shell diesel or any other superior grade fuel.

Please note that I have nothing against Shell (I still fill up my bike at Shell), but this has been my experience wrt Verna CRDI.

I guess it wont hurt to give a try. Please let me know if it worked.

Regards,
Varun
Old 3rd November 2009, 13:09   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VarunM View Post
Hi Dinu,
Even I am owning a Verna CRDI SX for the past 7 months. Even I faced the same problem of lower FE initially which I attributed to my sporty driving style. But however, I also used to tank up judiciously at only Shell Petrol Bunks.But one instance while on a long drive I was forced to tank up at IOC outlet. And voila the FE returned was 18Kmpl for that tank, whereas I would get max 15 Kmpl on the highway and around 11.5 - 12 kmpl in the City (now around 14-15kmpl)

Ever since then I have made sure that I dont tank up at Shell bunks. One reasoning that I got from my fellow Team- Bhpians is that Verna CDRI engine works better on normal diesel rather than one with additives which would be present in Shell diesel or any other superior grade fuel.

Please note that I have nothing against Shell (I still fill up my bike at Shell), but this has been my experience wrt Verna CRDI.

I guess it wont hurt to give a try. Please let me know if it worked.

Regards,
Varun
Thanks for the feedback Varun. I have only used Shell normal diesel till now, but I guess there is no harm in trying out an IOC or BP or HP. Will keep you updated. Anyone else with a similar experience?
Old 3rd November 2009, 13:32   #13
BHPian

My dealer recommended that I use normal diesel only and not premium when I took delivery of my Verna. He too said that the CRDI mill works better with normal diesel. I have been filling up at BP with normal diesel since Day1, and my Verna is consistently returning 18 kmpl with 90% AC on and almost 30% "spirited" driving. However, for my last fill, I tried BP Hi-Speed Diesel, and although the FE remained the same, the engine is running more silent and smooth.

I recommend you give BP a try.
Old 25th November 2009, 10:03   #14
BHPian

Hi Dinu,

Did you try filling up with normal diesel on your Verna??? If yes, was there any improvements in the FE??
Old 25th November 2009, 10:36   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VarunM View Post
Hi Dinu,

Did you try filling up with normal diesel on your Verna??? If yes, was there any improvements in the FE??
I have only filled normal diesel everytime but always from Shell. The FE is improving consistently. It is around 12.5km/lit now. The last fill was from BP. Let me see what the FE is. Will keep you updated.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks