Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2020, 20:40   #616
BHPian

Re: Zen and the art of maintaining it

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post
I once had a 118 NE which was converted to LPG. However, while buying the car pre-owned, I got the kit removed. Just like in your case, cranking and idling did not have any issues. It would run fine for around a kilometer with light foot. The moment I would depress the accelerator any harder, the car would die. Turned out there was a very fine mesh at the inlet of fuel line on the carb. Once that was removed / cleaned, things were back to normal.
The other thing I can think of is the clogged fuel lines. Since the car has run very little on petrol for a long time, chances of corrosion cannot be rules out. Also check if the fuel pump is able to pump adequate amount of fuel when accelerated?
Along with fuel line, the fuel pump can also be the culprit.

Please ignore if you have already checked these and found them satisfactory though!
Everything was taken apart, immersed and soaked in whatever liquids mechanics use for cleaning. Bottles of injector cleaner and carb cleaner sprays were used up liberally in addition to compressed air and mechanical cleaning of externally visible openings and other inlets/outlets with wires/pins was done. All the Jets, internal diaphragms, nozzles, screws and packing were replaced using the carb repair kit.The entire fuel tank was emptied, cleaned out and refilled. Fuel pump was replaced twice (first replacement burned it in 2 days probably due to blockage from residue from the tank). Fuel pressure is not an issue now.
Some of the external diaphragms may not be holding the vacuum, or the vacuum lines have just not been connected the right way. Is that a possibility? No one seems to know the correct vacuum line connections; everyone I showed just disconnects everything and reconnects by trial and error. The guy who overhauled the carb temporarily fitted an old esteem carb from a totalled car (which had it's own problems), but this problem of stalling on accelerator input did not manifest in that carb. I was trying to source a 3rd party (pacco) new carb (original is mikuni) in March but now the lockdown has closed that window.
Old 26th May 2020, 20:57   #617
BHPian

Re: Guess the car from its Instrument Cluster!

Hi,
Since we're talking about instrument clusters, I was wondering if anyone has any ideas where I could find the speedometer marking "plate" for a 2001 type 1 carb Zen. I've almost ruined mine, playing around with scratching the markings and trying different colors
I've tried the Nana Peth market shops which deal with speedo refurbishing/repairing but they didn't have any which fitted the Zen. Also I'd have to buy the entire console (costlier!), take it apart and customise the dial (shape, size, cutouts for odometer), so I didn't go for it.
Old 27th May 2020, 12:29   #618
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen2001 View Post
Hi all.
I can see coolant overflowing it from the tank
You have a blown head gasket ,which leads to over heating.

Do not start the engine till you fix the head gasket , you may cause irreparable damage
T1000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2020, 12:52   #619
BHPian

Could you please post pictures of the same ? It would help us in guiding you suitably.
Regards
Manoj
Old 2nd June 2020, 21:00   #620
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by T1000 View Post
You have a blown head gasket ,which leads to over heating.

Do not start the engine till you fix the head gasket , you may cause irreparable damage
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpian View Post
Could you please post pictures of the same ? It would help us in guiding you suitably.
Regards
Manoj
Turns out the exhaust was completely choked, with almost zero flow from the tail pipe. Got it opened up - the cat con - and cleaned out. No more smoke coming out from the exhaust recirculation pipe and the engine is revving much better now. Have topped up the coolant level and I don't see it bubbling or overflowing after the same length of driving now, but I'll continue keeping a watch on it to be on the safe side. By the way, inspite of the overheating (previously) the temperature gauge never went past the half mark! Even now it still climbs up from cold and settles at the midway mark. Posting a photo of (what choked) the exhaust.
Attached Thumbnails
Zen and the art of maintaining it-img20200528135730.jpg  

Old 2nd June 2020, 21:53   #621
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Posting a photo of (what choked) the exhaust.
That's the catalyst substrate which disintegrated. So essentially your Zen is without a working catcon.

Regards,
Shashi

PS: Did it come out when catcon case was tilted or did the mechanic bang the case against something and make it fall?
Leoshashi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2020, 23:42   #622
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
That's the catalyst substrate which disintegrated. So essentially your Zen is without a working catcon.

Regards,
Shashi

PS: Did it come out when catcon case was tilted or did the mechanic bang the case against something and make it fall?
Unfortunately, yes... No catcon now. Already looking for a new car, now that sales are starting again. The filter was already broken in pieces within, which fell out after removal. The honeycomb like pattern was completely blocked and charred, in some places looking like burnt ash. The remaining pieces inside were removed piecemeal. Ideally requires complete replacement, but in the last 5 years I've had a lot of issues with non availability of OEM spares and have had to resort to "3rd party no guarantee" or even 2nd hand parts.

PS: Does LPG fuel require a cat con as much as petrol? Because I've observed over the last 12 years of LPG usage that the NO˛ and HC emission values during a PUC test are hundreds of times lower than when running on petrol.
Zen2001 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 00:00   #623
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Already looking for a new car, now that sales are starting again.

Ideally requires complete replacement, but in the last 5 years I've had a lot of issues with non availability of OEM spares and have had to resort to "3rd party no guarantee" or even 2nd hand parts.
Not sure if it helps, but catalytic converter for Zen is still on sale, thankfully.

Zen and the art of maintaining it-capture.jpg

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2020, 18:15   #624
BHPian

Hi All! I am in the process of finalizing a deal for a 2003 LX variant with 31K on the ODO. Yes, just 31k in the past 17 years! Getting it purely for nostalgia and then intend to jazz it up and use it for weekend pleasure drives.

Now couple of questions:
1. Were there 2 different engine variants available at that point of time? Both Carb as well as MPFI, since this one has the round air intake (pardon me for my ignorance here).
2. It does not have power steering (LX variant). Having driven non-power assisted cars for quite a number of years before moving on to power-assisted steering, I do certainly have the experience. Still, how difficult would it be, considering that we've now got used to power steering and I may occasionally drive in the famous BLR traffic?
3. How about part availability?
4. Anything else that I should keep in mind?
The car has been sitting idle for a few months now. Body panels are all in decent condition with no rusting, dents or scratches except for the usual wearing off of rubber beading, glass etc.
I intend to take the car straight to the workshop for any repair/replacement, get it repainted and then take it to BLR.
Battery is new and hence the car started in 1.5 cranks. The engine sound was as good as new and so I don't think it requires any major repairs. Not sure about issues with the transmission since I didn't drive the vehicle and I am mentally prepared for repairs/replacement, if any.

@saket77, @Leoshashi appreciate your inputs/expertise too since the car is in JSR. Hence, any local pointers would really be helpful.
Old 23rd July 2020, 21:07   #625
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by verma_rahul View Post

Now couple of questions:
1. Were there 2 different engine variants available at that point of time? Both Carb as well as MPFI, since this one has the round air intake (pardon me for my ignorance here).
2. It does not have power steering (LX variant). Having driven non-power assisted cars for quite a number of years before moving on to power-assisted steering, I do certainly have the experience. Still, how difficult would it be, considering that we've now got used to power steering and I may occasionally drive in the famous BLR traffic?
The car has been sitting idle for a few months now. Body panels are all in decent condition with no rusting, dents or scratches except for the usual wearing off of rubber beading, glass etc.
I intend to take the car straight to the workshop for any repair/replacement, get it repainted and then take it to BLR.
Battery is new and hence the car started in 1.5 cranks. The engine sound was as good as new and so I don't think it requires any major repairs. Not sure about issues with the transmission since I didn't drive the vehicle and I am mentally prepared for repairs/replacement, if any.
Hi Rahul!

2003 means you’re getting the old jelly bean, right? If the car is in good condition, it will be a reliable steed. Just ascertain the legal provisions of driving a 15 year plus old car in your city. Check if the Car has been registered after the 15 year period.

1. I believe the carb and MPFI version were available side by side just due to leftover old stock Must be around 2001-2002. What you should check is that it is indeed a 16V engine. Maruti also sold an 8V MPFI version for a brief period.

2. If the steering system is well lubricated, the steering of LX is very well weighted and an absolute delight to operate, especially due to the feedback it provides. Just a pointer, if the car is parked in direct hot sun for extended period, the steering may feel little hard than normal for a while.

3. Running and maintenance parts are mostly available. You may have problems sourcing slow moving parts and body panels. But aftermarket options are there.

4. Mechanically, the car is not known to have a weak link or any particular vulnerability. Since it has a low ground clearance, consider underbody check.

Share pictures of car if the deal gets finalised. Follow the general guidelines that you would to evaluate any other car and it should be fine.

Regards.

Last edited by saket77 : 23rd July 2020 at 21:11.
saket77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2020, 21:29   #626
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by verma_rahul View Post
Hi All! I am in the process of finalizing a deal for a 2003 LX variant with 31K on the ODO. Yes, just 31k in the past 17 years! Getting it purely for nostalgia and then intend to jazz it up and use it for weekend pleasure drives.

Now couple of questions:
Hello Rahul,
I own a 1998 Zen-VX with 1.91 lakh kilometres on the odometer. I am located in Bangalore and hence have a decent idea about the spare, service availability here. Answering your questions -

Quote:
I am not sure and maybe I am wrong. As far as I remember, the carb version was available till 2002. If the engine has a round air intake/filter, then it definitely is a carburetted engine.

Quote:
The non power steering of Zen is an absolute delight when it comes to spirited driving with excellent weight, feedback from the steering at all times. The only drawback is its quite heavy at stand still and can be a handful to do three point turns in narrow streets. When I immediately shift from any modern car with an Electronic Power Steering or even a Hydraulic Power Steering for that matter, it does take me 5-10 minutes to make peace with the heavy steering. While driving in Bangalore traffic (99% of my Zen's running is in peak hour traffic), the steering is an absolute joy for quick lane changes at speeds above 20kmph but, trying to change lanes while moving from stand still will be a little uncomfortable. I am used to the heavy steering but most others who drive my Zen after driving their modern cars, are always left exhausted!

Since you have driven cars with no power steering before, I don't think you will be in for a shock with the Zen's steering.

Quote:
Most mechanical components are very easily available in MGP stores. I have had brake, suspension, clutch related components changed at MASS (Mandovi) without any part availability concerns. MASS had the Zen specific parts in stock and they are reasonably priced. Last September, I needed a headlamp and it wasn't available at MASS or any of the MGP stores but I could find a LUMAX make headlamp at a spares shop in Tilak Nagar. Also, got 4 new 13" rims over the counter from a MGP store with absolutely no down time!

I have also bought cosmetic parts like the grille, cowl area cover, roof moldings and caps from Boodmo without any problems.

Some parts that I have found hard to source are the seat rails, accelerator cable, oil sump strainer and about a decade ago, the carburettor. The carburettor is not available as a MGP anymore (quoting my MGP store) and am not sure about the availability of MGP carburettor repair kits either.

Quote:
Since you have mentioned that the Zen will be used in Bangalore, please be ready to face the problem of finding a mechanic who knows the Zen's G10B engine well (most mechanics outside MASS have refused to touch the carburettor in my Zen). The carburetted Zen when it runs well, will be an absolute bliss and joy to drive. If something does go wrong with the carburettor or timing, please be prepared for a lot of visits to various mechanics and a very erratic engine. (Its been more than a year since my Zen's carburettor started acting up and I am yet to find a mechanic who can tune the carburettor properly in Bangalore ).

As far as rust goes, check for rusting below the door window beadings, the cowl area, aprons and fenders.

If the AC system is running R134 refrigerant, you have no problems but if its running the R12 refrigerant, you might have to go in for a conversion kit to run the R134 refrigerant.

Before driving down to Bangalore, please change the engine oil proactively (10W40 Semi synthetic oil of Castrol or Shell works well on this engine), flush the cooling system and have new coolant in the system. I would recommend changing any of the hoses, belts if they show any signs of wear.

Congrats, on finding a Zen with such low mileage and do share pictures of the Zen when possible!

Regards,
Swamyzen
swamyzen is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th July 2020, 10:22   #627
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Hi Rahul!

2003 means you’re getting the old jelly bean, right? If the car is in good condition, it will be a reliable steed. Just ascertain the legal provisions of driving a 15 year plus old car in your city. Check if the Car has been registered after the 15 year period.
Share pictures of car if the deal gets finalised. Follow the general guidelines that you would to evaluate any other car and it should be fine.

Regards.
Hello! Yes, it indeed is the jelly bean design and that is what I always wanted. The local registration has lapsed around 2 years back and hence, I will have to pay fine to get it re-registered here, transfer the ownership, get the NOC from Jamshedpur RTO and then get it registered in BLR. A little expensive affair but the urge to get one is helping me ignore all of this

I "think" it is indeed the carb version since it has the round air intake. The registration certificate states that the manufacturing year is 2002 and the car was purchased and registered in June 2003. Trying to get contacts in Pebco to get a copy of the invoice as it will be required for re-registration here and then again in BLR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamyzen View Post
Hello Rahul,
I own a 1998 Zen-VX with 1.91 lakh kilometres on the odometer. I am located in Bangalore and hence have a decent idea about the spare, service availability here. Answering your questions -
Congrats, on finding a Zen with such low mileage and do share pictures of the Zen when possible!

Regards,
Swamyzen
Wow, you will be my goto person for any help required in BLR

About the ODO reading - True! the current owner got the last service done at Maruti in 2011 when the ODO reading was around 14K kms, post which he visited the FNG for periodic service. Got that verified with both the owner as well as the Maruti service center.

Here are the pictures - masking the Reg. plate since the transfer is not yet done (RTO closed due to Covid)
Attached Thumbnails
Zen and the art of maintaining it-1.jpg  

Zen and the art of maintaining it-2.jpg  

Zen and the art of maintaining it-3.jpg  

verma_rahul is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2020, 16:06   #628
BHPian

Freeing the horses again.

Lockdown and Dire Straits - In my carb Zen going strong at 260000+ km. The link is below. Even I was

PS: The purpose of this is not to show off my skills or encourage rash driving. If you read through my previous posts, I was facing multiple issues with the carb (which was overhauled with limited success), a choked exhaust leading to a blown EGR (which even my usual MASS could not figure out) - I could never reach speeds of 80+ no matter what; regular overtaking needed to be planned like driving an 18 wheeler and quick overtaking was extinct in practice. I had to scout several FNGs to finally get these issues sorted out - which they did in many DIY ways. Finally I got this result, which literally takes away the "pain" of driving. The proof of the pudding is in the eating!

PPS: This entire drive was pre evaluated and gradually built up in phases before this was recorded. However, that doesn't justify or make it legal. I have been driving on this same stretch (of a divided 6 lane highway) for years and it was practically deserted during the period of lockdown when this was recorded, hence the attempt. It has not been repeated since, although the Zen now feels like a horse straining at its reins, wanting to run wild even at a slight tap of the right foot (as opposed to keeping a brick on it earlier).

PPPS: KINDLY DO NOT ATTEMPT TO EMULATE. (even at your own risk).

Old 3rd August 2020, 10:58   #629
BHPian

@verma_rahul
I shall share my views, in all honesty if this car is a carburetor one then please understand that there are very very few or close to almost nil who actually now understand and can tune a carburetor to perfection.If a carb is set properly like others have mentioned its a real pleasure to drive, but in case its not set proper then its a pain till the time you find someone who can tune it perfectly.

Compared to carb the MPFI is a much better machine to maintain.
In goa i have nil part support, non of the MGP stores or even MASS entertains any part request even if i offer to pay upfront.
The point here is not to discourage you in any way just to let you know upfront the current scenario so that you are aware.
Zen is one of the best cars made by maruti -Period.
scorpian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2020, 15:55   #630
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Hi Rahul!

2003 means you’re getting the old jelly bean, right?

Regards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamyzen View Post
Hello Rahul,
I own a 1998 Zen-VX with 1.91 lakh kilometres on the odometer.
Regards,
Swamyzen
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpian View Post
@verma_rahul
I shall share my views, in all honesty if this car is a
Period.
And an update from my end! While I waited for the RTO to open up so that I could initiate the transfer process (the owner was adamant to have the car transferred first before he could transfer the physical possession of the car), I was on a lookout for an MPFI variant too since I had just made an advance payment for the carb. variant I had finalized earlier.

Came across a single owner 2003 Dec 61K done MPFI VXi for a steal deal and decided to go ahead with it. Transfer done and I have the car with me.

It has been almost 2 weeks since I have the car and it runs as good as new.

While, I have been trying to finalize a place to get it re-painted and serviced, I've been on a look out for the door pads. Something would have gone wrong with the power window motor and the previous owner got a manual rotor (or whatever you call it) installed on the door pads. Now, I have tried numerous MGP stores "across the country" (including Jamshedpur and Ranchi - nearest city) but none of them seem to have it in stock. The door pads in itself have reached the end of its life with the leatherette peeling off in multiple places. Appreciate if any one of you could share your inputs on the door pads. I am sought of a stickler for perfection and I am sure a local "jugaad" will always be an eyesore, specially when it comes to something which would always be visible while in the car.

Looking forward for your inputs

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks