Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2011, 11:32   #16
BHPian

Re: Fiat Palio 1.2 2002 Gears Jammed (Is it the clutch master cylinder?)

Thanks planet rocker! I'll try this and get back with a report.
Old 3rd May 2011, 20:12   #17
Senior - BHPian

Nope.. No leakage observed. Did a complete bleeding. Fluid replaced. Lets see what happens.
Old 19th July 2011, 23:42   #18
Senior - BHPian

Finally got it resolved. It was the master cylinder.
Imagine, the new one from Fiat, was also defective.

Now the car is running fine.
Old 30th August 2011, 22:30   #19
Senior - BHPian

We own an Indigo LS (May 2004) which has run 2,25,000+kms.
The first clutch was replaced at around 1,43,000+kms.
There is a problem which is present since 1 year (25K kms).
I face difficulty in shifting to 1st and 2nd from higher gears when the engine has run some kms. i.e. when the engine is warm.

Details--

When the engine is cold, the gear shift is easy. When the engine is warm following happens--
If I am in 3rd or 4th and want to shift to 1st or 2nd (not respectively), the gear lever refuses to move in the desired slot. The gear lever can be mnoved to Neutral and then to the left most end of gear lever travel, but it refuses to move to either 1st or 2nd beyond that left most point.

Then I vigorously move the gear lever from left most point to right most point and back several times (7-8) without depressing clutch. After this, the 1st and 2nd gear get engaged easily.

The Gear Lever refuses to--
1) Slot into 1st and 2nd Gears from other gears (the Shifting from 1st to 2nd and vice-versa is also very difficult but not impossible).
2) Come out of 1st and 2nd Gear Positions. (Sorry for Typo Error).

The Gear Lever requires TREMENDOUS Force to shift from --
a) 1st - 2nd
b) 2nd - 3rd
c) 3rd - 2nd
d) 2nd - 1st

I have to use the below formula if this happens--

I vigorously move the gear lever from left most point to right most point and back several times (7-8) without depressing clutch. After this, the 1st and 2nd gear get engaged easily.

The Clutch is Cable operated and is Dry-Type (not Hydraulic).

Is the problem with Master or Slave Cylinder or any thing else?

Last edited by IndigoXLGrandDi : 30th August 2011 at 22:32.
Old 1st September 2011, 03:54   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radnam View Post
Hey Genesis,
Problem solved, trust me with this experience always get a second opinion if you don't know the garage/ mechanic personally. I actually assumed the issue may be due to faulty clutch master/ slave cylinder and showed car to one of the local garage in my area and he said we'll have to change both the clutch cylinders first and if required the clutch assembly. I knew this guy for a while but never got the car repaired from him. Trusting him I bought both the cylinders (Master 1500/- and Slave 920/-) but then just thought of speaking to another guy from our area. He checked and found no leakages from both the cylinders, he bled the slave cylinder and voila problem solved. He said the slave cylinder had caught up air and that had to be removed. He did it by just bleeding the slave cylinder. He shyed away when asked for labour charges, finally said 50/- de do saab!
Now I have Clutch Master/ Slave cylinder as a spare, ready to sell if anyone wants it. Check it out on the Classifieds.

True . Had a similar problem. Went online checked out a few videos on how to bleed the slave cylinder. solved the problem!!!!!
Old 7th January 2012, 22:31   #21
BHPian

Had a similar problem with my Palio 1.2. 2 weeks back. Was not able to shift to any gears when the engine was On, when Off everything seemed OK. So got the Slave Cylinder replaced (TVS part not available), so got a vendor quality one for 750/- and got the entire clutch line cleaned and flushed. Everything seemed Ok till today when the clutch started getting hard.

Tried Pumping the clutch a little and issue was resolved. But now im scared to take the car out too far, just because of its reliability. I guess the line has caught some air and has to be removed, Any pointers towards a good mech who knows how to bleed the system ? in the Mumbai suburbs to have this rectified would be great.
Old 8th January 2012, 00:39   #22
Senior - BHPian

I and my father had a Siena 1.2 & Palio 1.9D. Also one of my cousins had another Palio 1.9D. I had this gear problem in all the three cars. It was the slave cylinder leaking. In Palio same lubricant is shared by gear and brakes. The first symptom of leakage is the brake light on the dashboard starts glowing when driving the car. It costs Rs.2000 to replace the cylinder.
satish_appasani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2012, 11:53   #23
BHPian

Dear all,
First and foremost the most overlooked aspect of difficult shifts is the oil level in the gearbox. If the synchromesh rings etc don't get enough lube they fail to engage easily. If they engage easy when hot and not so when cold, it may be an inherent design flaw or time to change oil or a less viscous oil. If you have problems engaging when hot, most likely the fingers in the cover assembly are old and are flexing under heat, then you'll need a new one. Of course, the master, slave cylinders or cable have a major role to play as does proper bleeding in hydraulic and play adjustment in cables.
VANOS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2012, 10:01   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper
Had a similar problem with my Palio 1.2. 2 weeks back. Was not able to shift to any gears when the engine was On, when Off everything seemed OK. So got the Slave Cylinder replaced (TVS part not available), so got a vendor quality one for 750/- and got the entire clutch line cleaned and flushed. Everything seemed Ok till today when the clutch started getting hard.
I have exactly the same problem with my palio stile 1.6 Since a month now. I went to castrol pit stop at total, sarjapur rd in bangalore. Master cylinder assembly ws replaced... I could feel clutch being more responsive but the problem came back in a couple of days. Can anyone suggest a mevhanic that i could go to in bangalore?
Old 19th June 2012, 00:01   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chakri400 View Post
I have exactly the same problem with my palio stile 1.6 Since a month now. I went to castrol pit stop at total, sarjapur rd in bangalore. Master cylinder assembly ws replaced... I could feel clutch being more responsive but the problem came back in a couple of days. Can anyone suggest a mevhanic that i could go to in bangalore?

Some updates on that.
Changed the clutch assembly, master and slave cylinders and the Fluid to DOT 4, also the release bearing (this was the major culprit) had cracked so replaced this as well. Everything back to normal now.
Old 19th June 2012, 13:13   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chakri400 View Post
the problem came back in a couple of days. Can anyone suggest a mevhanic that i could go to in bangalore?
did you notice any drop in Brake Fluid level?
Was DOT4 brake fluid used?
Did you get the clutch bleeding done properly to ensure no air is present in the line?

get in touch with Venkatesh at Gowri Automobiles - you can read more about this workshop here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/bangal...tomobiles.html
Old 2nd October 2013, 20:14   #27
BHPian

I am from Bangalore. I have a Palio 1.2 NV 2007 model.

2 days back I find that the gears have jammed. It works smooth when the engine is off.But when the engine is on, it just doesn't move from neutral position.

2 months ago, i noticed that the hand break indicator is "ON" while running, it doesn't go off any time. When I took it to an authorized service center, they mentioned that it's a problem with the switch that it doesn't go off , and they don't have a replacement available and it's not a problem.

Now, when I go through some of the discussions above, i feel that this issue and the gear jamming has some link.
I have given my car for a check up for this issue at Aaadya motors.

What could be the reasons for the gear jam,what issues should I check in order to ensure that there is a correct diagnosis of the probelm by the service people and they don't take me for a ride.

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions!
Old 3rd October 2013, 12:18   #28
BHPian

Had same problem last month when the gears were jammed and I was not able to change gear when engine was on. So switched off engine, put it in 1st gear and started with the clutch pressed. The car jumped a bit and started with the gears working properly. No problems after that. Does Palio have hydraulic clutch, is it something to do with hydraulic pressure?
Old 3rd October 2013, 12:40   #29
BHPian

I just got the call from mechanic from Aadya Motors (Fiat Authorized center). He says that the following parts would need to be replaced.

clutch assembly - 8500/-
c cylinder - 2600/-
rear silencer - 14000/-
gear lever assembly - 9500/-
master cylinder - rs.3000/-

Are they bluffing and taking me for a ride?

Overall cost coming to around Rs.37,000. Friends, what do you think?
Old 3rd October 2013, 12:58   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blrboy View Post
I just got the call from mechanic from Aadya Motors (Fiat Authorized center). He says that the following parts would need to be replaced.

clutch assembly - 8500/-
c cylinder - 2600/-
rear silencer - 14000/-
gear lever assembly - 9500/-
master cylinder - rs.3000/-

Are they bluffing and taking me for a ride?

Overall cost coming to around Rs.37,000. Friends, what do you think?
I think they are not being accurate and replacing unnecessary parts. Hand brake sign comes on when brake/clutch fluid level drops. This usually drops when the master or slave cylinders develop leaks. If either one of them develops a leak, the pressure at which fluid is pumped to the clutch assembly will drop drastically and will not activate the clutch system. I very much doubt there is any real issue with the gear assembly. I have absolutely no idea why they are recommending silencer change. Something is very fishy. At the outset I would request you not to get it done at ASS. I'd recommend you visit one of the following places -
1 -> Hariprasad Automobiles - Basavanagudi
2 -> Pride Motors - Basavanagudi
3 -> SV CarTech - TC Palya Road Rammurthy Nagar
(in that order)
Also, OEM available at ASS cost very high. Good quality after market spares made by the same OEM manufacturer are available for much cheaper -
1 -> Master Cylinder TVS Girling - 2k
2 -> Slave Cylinder TVS Girling (usually nothing happens to this) -> 1.5k
3 -> Clutch Plate/Pressure Plate/Release Bearing LUK -> 4k
4 -> Flywheel (if needed) -> Havent been able to get price of this.

I recommend that you buy these spares from 99rpm (www.99rpm.com). You will get the same at JC road, but JC roads folks will ask for samples. You might end up getting the wrong things and may have to run many errands.

PM me if you need any help.

Last edited by zoombiee : 3rd October 2013 at 12:59.
zoombiee is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks