Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2009, 18:46   #1
BHPian

Indigo Clutch overhaul related query

I had always been unhappy about the clutch of my Indigo XL DICOR. TASS changed certain parts in Dec 08 but the problem persisted. Last Sunday on a trip to Tiruvannamalai, I ran into a shallow rut when pulling out of a parking lot. She did not have enough power to get out initially but managed at higher rpms (2.5k+). And then I could smell the Clutch - a funny resin burning smell. Once out of that rut she behaved normally and I drove back to Chennai.
I had TASS pickup the vehicle and inspect her. They confirmed (finally!!)that the clutch had problems and agreed (after a lot of hard talk) to change the clutch assembly under warranty. I was requested to pay only the labor charges (Rs.250) for skimming the Flywheel.
I was to get the vehicle yesterday (29 Oct) but was informed yesterday morning that they noticed a leak in the coolant hose. Since the spare was not immediately available they promised delivery today afternoon. When they did not keep up their promise, I called only to be told that one more hose has also sprung a leak and needs to be changed. When I probed further this is what they tell me

"The gearbox had to be lowered to replace the clutch as well as skim the flywheel. Once it was put back in place, they had to pressure test the Coolant system to ensure that the gearbox was properly fastened. During this test they found a leaky hose and have changed it. After changing that and pressure testing again, the second hose was also found leaky and needs a replacement"

Now here are my queries :-
1. Why would they need to pressure test the coolant system when they lowered only the gearbox?
2. Does the coolant system circulate through the gearbox walls as well to keep it cool? Or are they taking me for a ride?
3. What all check should I do when they deliver the car?

In hindsight - I feel stupid to have taken the car to them. I should have simply gone to Ignite Garage.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks