Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2005, 14:46   #16
Senior - BHPian

Aseem, great analysis! I didn't occur to me so far, but Palio 1.6 is indeed very slow compared to Swift.

P.S.: unfortunately, they are still selling Palio 1.6 Sports.

Last edited by RX135 : 1st August 2005 at 14:48.
Old 1st August 2005, 14:49   #17
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem
For all you Palio fans, after reading this post it seems like Fiat has the same starting procedure as Indica
In indica as well one has to wait for 10 seconds before some light goes off and than u can start. Wonder what kind of ecu check Indica does, if at all it comes with a ecu in the first place. Thank god I have a Maruti....... Get Set GO!!! In an Alto
Are you comparing similar models (petrol / diesel)?

In the petrol Indica, you don't have to wait for the "Check Engine" light to go off. In the diesel Indica, you have to wait for the "coil" light to go off before you crank.

hrag
Old 1st August 2005, 14:56   #18
Team-BHP Support

Only in diesel. Its the engine heater light. Its there in most diesel engined cars. The colder the ambient temp, the longer you will need it. Infact in sub zero you may need to switch on ignition, wait for light to go off, then again switch off and switch on because the 5 second time is not enough to to heat. Trucks light up fire under the fuel tank to heat up diesel. For the petrol, you do not need to wait for ECU light to go off, but if it does not go off after you start means some engine problem.
Old 1st August 2005, 15:00   #19
BHPian

Our 3 year old adventure also has the symbol of the fuel injector which lights up - apparently it means the electronic choke is in operation - while we were told not to start till it goes away - we've never bothered with it and haven't had any trouble so far.

zaphod
Old 1st August 2005, 15:01   #20
BHPian

Solve the confusion

There seems to be be lot of confusion on the light. Let me clarify

Petrol engine- Engine /ECU light usually yellow indicated ECy starting up as well as fule pump building the intial pressure. Older cars it was noticable new cars this happens very fast ( due to faster processors and newer pump designs)

If this light is conitinuously on means major engine or sensor trouble. Service your car immeditely to find the problem

Diesel Engines- ECUS light - usually yellow same as petrol engines above
Oil pressure light red ( this is common even in old amby) goes of when you start the engine.

Heater /Glow plug - ( normally red or ywllow)usually veries betweeb 4 to 15 Seconds _ 1minute in very cold times. Should wait till this switches off to crank the motor.

I hope the confusion is solved
Old 3rd August 2005, 15:29   #21
BANNED

I am crying

Quote:
For all you Palio fans, after reading this post it seems like Fiat has the same starting procedure as Indica
In indica as well one has to wait for 10 seconds before some light goes off and than u can start. Wonder what kind of ecu check Indica does, if at all it comes with a ecu in the first place. Thank god I have a Maruti....... Get Set GO!!! In an Alto

So Palio 1.6 Sport and Swift 1.3 0-100 comparison below:

Swift: 1 second start + 11.5 second to 100 kmph

Palio 1.6: 8 second start + 9 second to 100kmph

Total Swift vs Palio: 12.5 Sec vs 17 Sec

No wonder they had to discontinue the Palio 1.6 Sport...
Ooops Can guys do such analysis..no wonder we are getting any patents from our research labs!

May be after starting of in 12.5 seconds in a Maruti..you may be directly driving to a cemetery

I have seen nowdays people making fun of M800 as a COFFIN on wheels..in fact its true in all sense!

Last edited by hasopi : 3rd August 2005 at 15:33. Reason: info
Old 3rd August 2005, 16:37   #22
BHPian

Aseem, You can add time for Opening the Door, Closing the door(closing Swift door could be easier, who knows) etc. as well
Old 5th August 2005, 13:38   #23

Considering all the replies from you guys, we may conclude that that light indicates either the "Initialisation" activity of ECU or building pressure of Fuel or Fuel Injection by pump or all.
and also it is recommended as most of you guys are told to wait until that light goes off.
Also as specified by Pranil it has not created any problem even if we don't wait for that light go OFF.
But then I will say why to take risk about that electronic part,it's better to ignore horn sound from back traffice of our car (FIAT cars ) if someone need to do turn OFF ignition , again turn ON, wait for that light to go OFF and crank the engine when car engine stops in traffice.

thanks,
Hemant
Old 5th August 2005, 14:56   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemantR
Considering all the replies from you guys, we may conclude that that light indicates either the "Initialisation" activity of ECU or building pressure of Fuel or Fuel Injection by pump or all.
and also it is recommended as most of you guys are told to wait until that light goes off.
Also as specified by Pranil it has not created any problem even if we don't wait for that light go OFF.
But then I will say why to take risk about that electronic part,it's better to ignore horn sound from back traffice of our car (FIAT cars ) if someone need to do turn OFF ignition , again turn ON, wait for that light to go OFF and crank the engine when car engine stops in traffice.

thanks,
Hemant
Moreover, you'll get used to the car's behaviour and it won't stop dead in Pune traffic. So its not like it'll happen every day.
Old 5th August 2005, 15:55   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

This is the crappest post in the history of T-BHP and secondly Palio dosent do 0-100 in 9 secs it requires atleast 11.19 secs.

Last edited by merve_extreme : 5th August 2005 at 15:58.
Old 5th August 2005, 15:57   #26
Senior - BHPian

Okay. I am a bit late, but here is my analysis.

It is always better to wait for the light to go out. Always. It might screw up the engine. Why would you want to take a chance. I wait for the light to go out even if I am being honked at in traffic.

If you do want to switch the engine off, when you are at a signal for instance, do so. Then just turn the key to the first slot. Leave it there. The MPFI light will go off. When the time comes to move just crank from this position. You will also notice that if you exceed the first slot, you would have to repeat the procedure again. Takes practice to get perfect, but helps.

Please do wait for the light to go off. It is a safety precaution. And regarding the Swift and Palio 1.6 comparo, we have to compare from standing, not from engine off. *wink*
Old 5th August 2005, 17:36   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Swift: Six months to wait + 1 second start + 11.5 second to 100 kmph

Palio 1.6: 1 month to wait + 8 second start + 9 second to 100kmph

Total Swift vs Palio: 12.5 Sec +6 months vs 17 Sec + 1 Month

No wonder Fiat decided to relaunch the GTX as a sport....
Old 5th August 2005, 18:00   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre

Palio 1.6: 1 month to wait + 8 second start + 9 second to 100kmph

Total Swift vs Palio: 12.5 Sec +6 months vs 17 Sec + 1 Month

This was awesome man....realllyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy good answer.
Old 5th August 2005, 18:07   #29
BHPian

Whats the right way of starting a Xing. Do we have to wait for a couple of seconds since its MPFI too. When i turn the key 1 step, i can hear some low sound which goes away within couple of seconds. Do we have to wait for this sound to go away and then start the car?
Old 5th August 2005, 18:09   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre

That was great.. It should go into official joke thread..
Closed Thread

Most Viewed