Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2009, 18:54   #1
BHPian

Accent CRDI Engine problem

My friend has a Hyundai Accent CRDI which has done about 30k km in the last 3 years. Usage was much less this year - the car having done only about 4k km in the last 6 months. When he gave it for its regular servicing last week, the ASC people told him that one of the fuel injectors was malfunctioning and would need to be replaced. He agreed to that, and they told him that they would call back in case they found any other problems. Today, he got a call from the service folks and was told that the engine was in very bad shape and that he would need to go for an 'overhaul kit' which will cost his around Rs. 80k for the complete repair cost. He is not sure what is happening here, since he did not face any problem with the car whenever he used it, and this was just the regular service for which he took the car to the ASC. Can anyone help throw some light about what is happening here? Can a car engine just fail so suddenly? And is there any way my friend can find out if the repair really necessary?

Thanks for your help!
Old 2nd November 2009, 19:57   #2
BHPian

Dont know whats going on, but I will never let my car to stay at workshop/service centre overnight when there isnt any big trouble with it. I hope there is ACTUALLY some problem in the car.
Old 2nd November 2009, 20:17   #3
BHPian

Kiran I somehow feel that the ASC is taking your friend for a ride. Can you shed more light on what exactly they say is wrong with the engine. I would recommend that your friend takes his vehicle to another ASC in his city or a local garage and see if the overhaul kit is really necessary.
Old 2nd November 2009, 20:53   #4
Senior - BHPian

Sounds very fishy..

Was there any problem with the car?

1) Black Smoke
2) Low acceleration
3) Low F E ?
Old 2nd November 2009, 21:03   #5
BHPian

rush to ASC, check your car. Ensure that there is no sign of head removal etc and If your engine has not been opened or messed with by the ASC. Take it for a test drive, if the car is not in same condition as when you dropped it ask to see works manager and tell them that car was perfect when you left it off. Talk to them at the reception area, where other customers can hear you and not in a cabin. Dont lose your temper.

If the car was in the same condition as you dropped it then drive out of the ASC and take it to a reputed multi-car work shop
Old 3rd November 2009, 09:48   #6
BHPian

AFAIK (and i've seen him drive for several years now) he is very gentle with the car and not a rough user at all. Also there was no problem he noticed at all - as in low FE, smoky exhaust or poor pickup and so on. The car was just normal he says but there were a lot of creaking noises in the cabin from the seats and that was the main reason he took it to the service center. I believe there are only two service centers in Bangalore and he wants to take the car to the other one now. He asked for a printed report of the suspected issues in the car and they've agreed to provide it today. I'll be able to put that info here so that people can help us understand whats happened to the car.

Could this be caused by bad fuel - he lives a little out of the city and always fills fuel from a small out of town type fuel station. But nearly one lakh rupees worth repairs for a car thats only done 30k km seems a shame.

How would we know if the head has been removed and re-assembled? We'll collect the car today evening.
Old 3rd November 2009, 11:26   #7
Team-BHP Support

Consult with another garage, sounds fishy if the car was performing normal earlier. Check the seating of the head, for any engine paste spill near gaskets etc Also they would charge him if they have disassembled the engine

Last edited by Jaggu : 3rd November 2009 at 11:27.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks