Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2009, 20:04   #1

Petra engine issues

Dear All,

A friend's petra has developed engine issues. The engine light goes on every 1.5 K Kms and he is required to top up the engine oil. The engine maybe consuming oil. He bought the car used just a few months ago. The car runs beautifully and absolutely no dip in power or performance. On checking with a mechanic in Bangalore, he said there was certain batch of Petras released in 2004, which right from the factory had latent engine defects. He said he had dealt with similar cars before, where getting parts etc were such a pain that, he suggested to us that the best way going forward is chaging half engine along with heads which obviously costs over the roof (86K). Or he said, just keep topping up the oil and drive the car..it should run fine a good bit, like 10-20K kms.

Have any of you faced similar problems? Could the problem be fixed with change of rings? or is the problem much bigger? Who is the best mech in Bangalore to consult on this issue? Also, can the matter be taken up with Fiat at all?? Considering its manufacturing defect and nothing to do with some wear and tear parts.

Need all your suggestions and feedback asap.
Old 3rd November 2009, 21:45   #2
Senior - BHPian

Whats the mileage on the car?
I guess your mechanic is suggesting to change the oil pump assembly and the catalytic converter/oxygen sensor.

I had a similar problem in my mazda (after it ran almost 90000 Miles) which used to burn oil due to oil seeping out of the oil lines. Now due to this, the front catalytic converter was damaged and gave a check engine light. Me and my mechanic solved the problem by using 10w40 oil in place of 5w20 oil that was being used, and the car then burnt a LOT less oil (checked engine oil regularly and noted the difference).
You might discuss with your mechanic and try this solution.

If FIAT did not issue a recall for the said batch of cars, I do not think you can take it up with the company.

Last edited by blackasta : 3rd November 2009 at 21:47.
Old 4th November 2009, 11:32   #3
DRC
BHPian

I strongly suggest do not fall prey to mechanics tactics.
What does the ECU say when the check engine light is lit up. Please put some thought to it.

Also check if there is a leake somewhere in the oil circuit.
Old 4th November 2009, 11:41   #4

There is no tell-tale signs of oil leakage since no oil can ever spotted on the ground. Could the oil leak be in any other manner, without it dripping onto the ground? Also, How do I understand what the ECU is saying when the oil light is on and what information can be gathered from it?? Could you please appraise me more on this??

@blackasta - the mech has not suggested anything in the direction of oil pump change. He said that batch of engines has some issue and they suck up oil. But do you think it could be an oil pump issue?

Can anyone here offer more inputs and suggestions on this problem.

The Mech also told me Fiat released a list of chasis numbers of vehicles with such engine defects and he said this petra could be one of them. If its the case, can the issues be taken up with the company? Please help with your inputs and suggestions asap. Thanks.
Old 4th November 2009, 11:54   #5
Senior - BHPian

Since you are in Bangalore, you could try talking to HariPrasad Automobiles, Basavanagudi. They are fairly technical. Do not go by their workshop, which literally looks like it is in shambles. Next best, I suggest that you try talking to GreenTracks, Hosur Road.
Old 4th November 2009, 12:10   #6
DRC
BHPian

@veegeerocks; Then, do you see dense smoke while engine running?

Also, avoid Hariprasad if the issue involves reading the ECU. They just do not understand it. Otherwise, they are good at all mechnical issues.
They do not have scanner in the first place, they depend on earstwhile Sundaram's scanner only to 'delete' teh errors without reading them. Once you go there, all the evidence of the problem are lost and you will end up replaceing whatever he tells you to replace.
Old 4th November 2009, 12:11   #7
Senior - BHPian

If they released chassis numbers, you can surely take up the issue with FIAT.

Tell me one thing, at the first start in morning, can you smell oil (not petrol) and see blue smoke?

Oil leaks not amounting to dripping can surely occur via the joints of aged engines.
Old 4th November 2009, 12:49   #8
DRC
BHPian

BTW, how much has the car run? My car too is a 2004 make, I do not have any such issues (touchwood)?
Old 4th November 2009, 23:53   #9

@Blackasta - the first start in the morning, does throw up a little more oil smoke accompanied with carbon and oil smell. After that, absolutely nothing. Runs smooth as hell.

@DRC - the car's done about 47K Kms. Also then, who is a good mech to get the vehicle scanned for any issues? Concorde Mysore road?

Also, I spoke to Hariprasad about this, and he s the guy who suggested there is no solution for this problem since he s dealt with couple of vehicles of that 2004 make with similar problems and after much probing and ordering for parts, he apparenty realised, there s no simple solution to this, since there is a inherent defect in the engine coming straight out of the factory. He says its hard to make out if the oil is being sucked from the bottom or from the top through the valves.

I would not like to believe this completely and would still like to know if there s potential for a simpler and easier fix to this solution. Other mechs generally suggest that, they can guage the issues, only after opening the heads. So...whats the best solution??

Please keep the suggestions and feedbacks trickling in.
Old 5th November 2009, 09:09   #10
DRC
BHPian

I have heard Concorde Mysore road is good, but I do not have personal experience. But do try there, you will also get the genuine spares if the repair is major. But make sure you are with the SA and the repair process.

After I had to replace the ignition module for no reason because of wrong interpretation of ECU, I made my own arrangements to maintain and repair my car, including ECU scanner.
Old 5th November 2009, 10:43   #11
Senior - BHPian

Its a problem with the leaking oil pump assembly and lines, in all probabilities.
Old 5th November 2009, 10:52   #12
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC View Post
After I had to replace the ignition module for no reason because of wrong interpretation of ECU, I made my own arrangements to maintain and repair my car, including ECU scanner.
Would love to hear that buddy specially about the scanner. What make and at what cost? By maintenance, do you mean consumables replacement and other DIY stuff or have you gone beyond that?

@veegeerocks - sorry for the hijack
Old 5th November 2009, 11:29   #13
BHPian

Same problem with my Petra

I have been living with the similar problem since last 2.5 years. My Patra 1.6 (2004) has clocked 51K kms and I have to top up engine oil every ~5K kms. I got the car checked at Dynamic Automobiles Noida and they said engine needs an overhaul, but they also added - as there is no power loss, white smoke, etc. you can live with it for some more time.

Another problem which I am facing with this car - sometimes (while starting the car) the RPM dips down to zero. The problem goes away after running the car 4-5 kms. ECU reset, Throttle body cleaning, whatever was suggested has been done but the problem still persists.

After going through this thread I suspect my Petra might also be belonging to the same nasty 2004 batch.

If anybody on the forum has got the Chassis Number list (of such cars), please share the same!

Cheers,
Deepak

Last edited by deepgautam_qa : 5th November 2009 at 11:33.
Old 5th November 2009, 12:25   #14
DRC
BHPian

I still find it hard to believe the 2004 theory. I have not heard from anyone else other than Hariprasad Bangalore. Please seek second opinion may be from auth fiat dealers.
BHPians with contacts in Fiat can help here please?

@JVH, I would love to share too. But let us not dilute this thread. If you do not mind, We can continue to discuss on the other thread "Maintain the car yourself. A service checklist"
Old 5th November 2009, 12:28   #15
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Is this a problem related to only Petra 1.6? Or is it similar with the Palio 1.6 engines as well? IIRC, the engine which does the duty is same, right?

@ DRC - Sure thing and thanks!

Most Viewed