Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2009, 12:08   #1
BHPian

My wagon R is sluggish and noisy at 40 kmph

Hi Everyone

I puchased a Wagon R on sept 28 and its first servicing got done around 2 weeks back. Currently its done around 1200 km. Right from the day I got delivery I have noticed my car making sound (as if its getting strained) when I am nearing 40 kmph in 3rd gear. Its like the kind of feel you get when you are at 20kmph in 2nd gear and trying to accelerate still further without changing the gear ! I haven got a chance to drive other wagon r's (just one which I did long back before purchasing the car and I dont remember noticing anything like this). I would like to know from others here, if they too are facing anything like this and if 40kmph really the shift point for 3rd gear (I am not thinking in terms of economy here, but I am talking in terms of the sound and smoothness).
Also, sometimes when I am driving at a constant speed in 3rd gear (assume at around 35-40kmph given the above situation, I haven really cruised at over 40kmph in 3rd gear) for sometime, the car suddenly leaves out jerks.

Am I facing all these issues because I havent really clocked a good distance on the odo or do you forsee any problem ?
Old 10th November 2009, 12:24   #2
Team-BHP Support

Why not check this out at your nearest Maruti Auth.SS

I follow the
Gear 1: upto 10 kmph
Gear 2: upto 20 kmph
Gear 3: upto 30 kmph

The fourth and fifth depending on traffic conditions.

Gear 3 can take you all the way to 6700 rpm or so.
The engine cut off occurs somewhere around here.
At about 85 kmph or so.

Speaking from memory and tried this only once or twice.

Have you done any changes to your stock tire size.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2009, 12:40   #3
BHPian

I had asked for tubeless tyres (yokohoma) but had not specified the tyre size. So I am assuming the dealer would have put the tyres of the same size (as the original tube-tyre).
One more thing, my father who had taken the car for the 1st servicing had infromed the mechanic as well as the manager there about this and he even test-drove 2 other wagon r's (both lxi's, mine being a vxi). Itseems when he told the manager there about the drive being quite smooth on those wagon R's, the maanger replied saying that was because they had tube-tyres. so the tubeless tyre is making the difference here ???
Old 10th November 2009, 12:42   #4
BHPian

I used to change gears around:
Gear 1: upto 15 kmph
Gear 2: upto 25-30 kmph
Gear 3: upto 30-40 kmph

Yes: 3rd gear itself can take you around 70-80 Kmph or the upper rev band.

I faced similar kind of problem of low pickup in all gear. They have done:
Throttle Body Cleaning,
Spark plug change,
Injector Cleaning, and
Engine Idle Settings
after this pickup came back.

As BBLost suggested: Best is to goto MASS and let them analyse it.
Old 10th November 2009, 13:07   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by high_octane View Post
Itseems when he told the manager there about the drive being quite smooth on those wagon R's, the maanger replied saying that was because they had tube-tyres. so the tubeless tyre is making the difference here ???
No, In comparition to tube tyres, Tubeless tyre cannot make much difference in terms of acceleration. They offer slight better handling and light steering feel.

I have changed to tubeless tyres from the first day and changed at Dealership itself. This issue cannot come from tubeless tyres.
Please ask the SA/manager to replace the tyres to tube one's (from another wagonr) and then do the test to justify there analysis.
Old 10th November 2009, 13:25   #6
BHPian

Thanks for the replies. Then I shall take my car to a MASS this weekend and shall see what could be done. I shall keep you guys posted on this. Meanwhile, if there's anybody whos faced this issue please share your experience....

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks