Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2012, 23:00   #91
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus7
Alas, it's back. Yes today, just 24 hours after I parked my car in the garage, there was a leak (1 drop) directly below the part as seen in the picture. The part which is marked in blue is where the leak is. Can anyone please tell me what part is that, and can the black pipe be replaced separately?

FASS, guys had my car for 5 days, and yet they could not locate the leak, which I can do in 24 hours. I specifically pointed the part where the leak is prior to giving the car for service. Yet after 6 days and 4K Rs., I am stuck with the same problem. I don't have faith in FASS anymore. I will take the car to some local mechanic and see what can be done.

Chennai Ford guys, if you are going to MPL Ford perungudi branch, please don't. The mechanics over there are aloof, won't spend a minute to listen to customers nor talk about the issue/fix. What about the new branch in pallikaranai, is it any good?

On googling further, I think its the waste gate actuator. Please refer this link
What is waste gate actuator? Is a leak from this part a major issue for turbo? Can this be replaced separately? Please bear with me for too many questions in one post.
You will need a turbo rebuild.
kutlee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2012, 09:02   #92
BHPian

Re: Turbo-charger maintenance in diesel cars

Optimus, a waste gate actuator is what controls the boost pressure indirectly, by controlling the turbine speed. It does this by opening a wastegate through which exhaust gases find a by-pass, instead of the turbine nozzle. The actuator is boost referenced by the pipe you see (small black one) from the boost pressure on the compressor side.

There should be no oil at all in this area, as it is all pneumatically controlled. If you find oil, it means the turbocharger seals are leaking. These seals keep the oil & air in the turbo housing apart. That means a turbo overhaul/ rebuild as mentioned by kutlee.
1self is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2012, 15:36   #93
BHPian

Thanks 1self and kutlee, should this be looked into immediately or can I wait for a few more months? Currently I don't face any issues with it. The acceleration is good and the turbo kicks in around 1700-2000 RPM range.
How much will a turbo rebuid cost? How much life can one expect from a rebuilt turbo?
FASS guys will suggest to replace the turbo, will the local mechanics be able to do it, or should I go to an expert?
Can anyone please point me a good turbo mechanic in chennai?
Old 1st May 2012, 16:04   #94
BHPian

If you are replacing the turbo with a new one or a refurbished one, any competent mechanic can do it. BUT, if you are rebuilding one, go to the experts.

I would personally go with a new one (if cost restrictions don't apply) as it will give you peace of mind & a long service lifetime. If however you are planning to sell off the car, get a refurbished one.

Once the oil seals start leaking it is only a matter of time. You don't want to get stuck on a lonely road at some far off place with a blown seal. Also, this trickle of oil is contaminating the effectiveness of the intercooler & air intake manifold. These will soon be full of oil & carbon deposits & your fuel consumption & response will suffer.

So my advice is....don't wait too long.
1self is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2012, 16:26   #95
BHPian

A turbo is a high precision piece of machinery. They are built to last. Also, it takes lots of training and experience to work on a turbo.
Even minor problems in a turbo should not be overlooked. It will turn into major one any time. Then expenses will be much high.
nozzlering is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2012, 17:45   #96
BHPian

Thanks guys. I am planning to keep the car for a few more years, so will probably look into replacing the turbo.
FASS guys told me, that they have checked the turbo and there are no issues in it. So I will take it back to them and let them check it again. If it needs replacement, will replace it from FASS itself, since I need warranty.
Old 1st May 2012, 18:57   #97
Senior - BHPian

It could be simple plumbing issues associated with the routing as well. Turbos do not fail fast IMO. Please be present when they do the change - infact DEMAND to stand near the vehicle so that you can witness what they do, and learn!!
Old 3rd May 2012, 10:32   #98
BHPian

Just want to be clear on this. So now i know after even a medium drive when switching off the car one has to keep the engine running for a minute before you switch off the engine. Is pressing the clutch when switching on the car also required for keeping your diesel engine healthy or this is applicable for petrol cars also? Is this step a necessity?
Old 3rd May 2012, 15:49   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvinashV View Post
Just want to be clear on this. So now i know after even a medium drive when switching off the car one has to keep the engine running for a minute before you switch off the engine. Is pressing the clutch when switching on the car also required for keeping your diesel engine healthy or this is applicable for petrol cars also? Is this step a necessity?
1. Idling the car for atleast 30 seconds before switching off is good for the turbo's life. If you have done some spirited driving, then let it idle for atleast a minute.

2. Pressing clutch before cranking the engine offers 2 benefits, first is, it reduces the load on the battery and secondly it is a safety feature to avoid cranking the engine in gear. (People parking in tight spots, should follow this to prevent from accidentally bumping into a wall/car during start up while in gear.)

Last edited by GTO : 4th May 2012 at 09:52. Reason: As per your reported post. 30 minutes = 30 seconds
Old 14th May 2012, 19:58   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus7 View Post
Thanks guys. I am planning to keep the car for a few more years, so will probably look into replacing the turbo.
FASS guys told me, that they have checked the turbo and there are no issues in it. So I will take it back to them and let them check it again. If it needs replacement, will replace it from FASS itself, since I need warranty.
An update on the issue: Had some work for the past 2 weeks, so couldn't take the car to FASS. Went there today morning, the mechanic and the supervisor checked and confirmed the leak from the wastegate.

Mechanic told that the leak is from the turbo and it should be replaced. He then test drove it and found the performance to be ok, and there was no black smoke. He also told the issue is new to him, since the power and smoke are ok.

Finally the supervisor told the turbo is working fine, except for the leak. Replacing it will be costly ~15K, I know some guys, who can rebuild/fix the turbo. They will come to your place and take the turbo and check the issue, if its a minor thing they will fix it. If it is a major one and costing above 5K, then its better to replace the turbo in FASS.

Thought about it for sometime, and told him to let them check and depending on the repair, I will make a decision. They will probably come tomorrow. Fingers crossed.
Old 14th May 2012, 20:25   #101
BHPian

I hope these guys you are referring your turbo to, are of good competency & repute. Otherwise your headache will increase exponentially.
Old 1st July 2012, 23:01   #102
BHPian

Atlast an update (sorry for the delay). The mechanic never came, so I too it to a another mechanic, he checked the car and told that the leak is from the turbo and told he will not suggest a re build. He says he is a level 3 mechanic and even turbo's re-built by level 5 expert guys will not last long, as the seals and other stuff can never match the original one.

He checked with a few friends and told the aftermarket turbo will cost around 14K. I decided to take it to FASS and replace the turbo. Thanks to the lastest budget, the prices have shot up and a new turbo cost me 19K. Test drove it, found the acceleration to have improved after the 1500 RPM range, the turbo boost was much better (as it should be). Came home a happy guy.

Next morning to my utter disgust, there was a drop of oil in the exact spot. I was filled with anger and frustration. Had some work, so didnt take it to FASS, left the car in the garage for 4 days. After 4 days, I saw that after that one drop no leak was there. Earlier even if the car was in garage, there will be 2/3 drops of oil leak daily. So definitely that has stopped. After 2 weeks of testing, I found a drop of oil was leaking every time I take the car out. But no leak when it stays idle.

Took it again to FASS, the service guy was perplexed at this and strongly objected to my complaint that there was still a leak. Then a mechanic came and checked and found that there was a fault in a bolt/couple near the oil circulating area (just above the turbo/below the oil filling area). He replaced it (cost was 250 Rs) for free. Took the car home, its been 2 weeks since then, and no leak whatsoever.

I really hope that this has been fixed once and for all. And I am very glad that now I can keep up with the petrol guys

Last edited by Optimus7 : 1st July 2012 at 23:04.
Optimus7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2014, 17:58   #103
Team-BHP Support

Reviving this old thread.
The Safari has done 1L kms +
I have driven in pretty dusty terrains like ladakh multiple times, and I am worried that turbo may need cleaning.
Can someone recommend a reliable setup who can do a turbo charger service around Noida?
Old 17th April 2014, 20:12   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I have driven in pretty dusty terrains like ladakh multiple times, and I am worried that turbo may need cleaning.
Can someone recommend a reliable setup who can do a turbo charger service around Noida?
Turbo does not require cleaning.
Get the catalytic converter cleaned. Remove it from the vehicle, soak it in diesel and pressure wash it.
Old 17th April 2014, 20:16   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Which part of your turbo do you plan to get cleaned? Turbochargers don't need to be serviced periodically (AFAIK) - apart from routine oil and filter changes. Are you getting any symptoms of turbo failure?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks