Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2009, 11:16   #1
BANNED

Is the immobiliser technology different in different cars?

The other day during a casual chat with a friend, I was told that the Safari's immobiliser is "better" than that of the Scorpio's because the code for the same is not known to the dealer and is given to the customer in a sealed envelope. But, I too can change the security code of my Scorp when I wish to.

There could be many aspects to this, but is one immobiliser with 4 digit PIN better than the other??
Old 12th November 2009, 11:33   #2
Senior - BHPian

@Dev: This might be OT. In our 2000 built Matz we don't have any immobiliser. So we have used our desi version here. We have a 1" thick chain tied to the steering and the seat track and it is locked. Even someone tries to take it then he has to just drive in a straight line and the steering wil not move more than 1" either side.
Now coming to your question: I am sorry as i don't have technology answer apart from desi answer
Old 12th November 2009, 11:41   #3
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir_bn View Post
@Dev: This might be OT. In our 2000 built Matz we don't have any immobiliser. So we have used our desi version here. We have a 1" thick chain tied to the steering and the seat track and it is locked. Even someone tries to take it then he has to just drive in a straight line and the steering wil not move more than 1" either side.
Now coming to your question: I am sorry as i don't have technology answer apart from desi answer
No problem Shishir, I m sure there are answers coming our way soon. And yes, I too prefer the simple desi things to high tech devices.
Old 12th November 2009, 18:59   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

For sure, and even though the vendors could be common between some brands, the type of encoding used will be unique to each car manufacturer.

Irrespective of whether the Scorpio's immobiliser is superior or not, Scorpios continue to get stolen. They are HOT property for thieves. Related threads:

Most Viewed