Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2005, 13:28   #1
dev
BHPian

Brakes fail when engine goes off

Dear Bhpians,
Good day..

I have Ford Ikon CLXI (1.3L) make in 2001 (This is s used vehiclle which I have)
Problem:
When the engine goes off, brakes are not working.. is it normal? or is it a mechanical fault.. I don't want it to happen..

This I noticed when I am reversing my vehicle on to the ramp and when I am at the middle of the ramp, engine got stopped. (This is my fault, cannot control reversing, still learning). And on free flow, it came front and I thought I can stop it. But brakes did not operated.. it became very hard and even though I pressed hard, it is of no use... Luckily some stones stopped the vehicle...

I am assuming, when engine stops, brakes won't operate... this is normal behaviour..
Is there anyting I am missing? What happens in ghat sections and suddenly engine stops and how to apply brakes?
There is a way of using hand brakes, or keeping in gear ... but on that tense moment, it won't strike and we keep concentrating on brakes..
Any ideas ?
thank you.
Old 4th August 2005, 14:04   #2
Senior - BHPian

The brake booster uses vaccum to assist braking. when an engine goes off the vaccum is lost and the booster does not work hence the loss of brakes.

There is a easy solution to the problem ... you will need to add a good oneway checkvalve on the brake hose and seal it well so that it does not leak vaccum... once this is done it should help the brakes.

However in the cases of slopes and you engine being off it is better to use the hand brakes as they are cable operated and are independent of the regular brakes.
Old 4th August 2005, 14:21   #3
Team-BHP Support

It's incorrect to say the brakes stop working when the engine is turned off. They don't stop working, but the pedal becomes hard and you require a lot more effort to get the same braking effect. Basically your "power assist" for the brakes is no longer available (Psycho has explained the reason why this happen's), but your brakes surely work, just press harder.

Similarly when your engine is off, your steering becomes a lot stiffer and harer to turn as the powersteering pump is no longer functioning. But you can still steer.
Old 4th August 2005, 14:36   #4
Senior - BHPian

Both RTech and Psycho are correct. Please get your vehicle checked pronto if their suggestions do not work. It can become extremely dangerous. Also practice using the gears for braking ... just in case.
Old 4th August 2005, 14:43   #5
dev
BHPian

Thanks for responding ...

Psycho,
How much it will cost to do that? Any good mechanics in BLR who can do that?

And I observed some noice in the vehicle... When a person sits into the car, it sounds ..... recently Under Chasis paint is applied.. Any reason?
Thank you
Old 4th August 2005, 15:22   #6
Senior - BHPian

Can be done here in BLR drop me a line at 98440 69863... as for the sound I do not have a clue till I take a look at it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks