Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2009, 16:04   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Would also suggest you check the EGR valve functioning. Clean/replace as required.
Old 13th November 2009, 16:28   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Would also suggest you check the EGR valve functioning. Clean/replace as required.
Pardon my ignorance, but does the 1.6 (Petrol) have EGR?
Old 13th November 2009, 16:37   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but does the 1.6 (Petrol) have EGR?
AFAIK it does. All BS-III spec IC engines will have EGR.
Old 13th November 2009, 18:59   #19
BHPian

Well folks, the latest is that Sanjay of RD says it's fine after catalytic converter was cleaned. I haven't checked it yet, and can only confirm engine health tomorrow.

At any rate, what is obvious is that the dealers service guys are either terminal idiots or criminal conspirators - I exaggerate of course, but hey, I'd already signed my assent on a major engine overhaul, and it was only because I thought I could get some valuable input from this forum that I changed my mind.

I'll be getting the car back tomorrow afternoon; doing more important things in the morning - playing golf!

Will report on engine health tomorrow, but am much relieved at no open heart surgery!
Old 14th November 2009, 13:08   #20
GTO
Team-BHP Support

As you would have realised by now, the dealer is a dud!! A good independent is the way to go once your modern car is out of warranty coverage (atleast for major repairs).

Quote:
Originally Posted by float View Post
then they fixed some guages and ran the car; they're now saying it's probably a clogged catalytic converter. they're going to clean the cat, and we'll check performance again at around 5pm. hope that solves it.
An opportunity for a performance exhaust perhaps
Old 14th November 2009, 23:05   #21
BHPian

Happy to report the car performs like Usain Bolt on steroids! Man, I'd forgotten how responsive the Optra is. Had a very pleasurable test drive this evening, and am pleased as punch. I didn't know that unclogging the catalytic convertor makes such a huge difference.

@GTO
Believe me, I'd love to find an independent who does GM cars with any degree of competence. The intervention that Race Dynamics did with my car this time was an exception; they're not really a service workshop at all.

Last edited by Jaggu : 24th November 2009 at 16:18. Reason: back to back posts, please EDIT the original post after its approved, if you want to add. thanks
Old 16th November 2009, 21:27   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by contactme27 View Post
now-a-days most of the time, the dealers are very lenient on the customers. The dealers take the customers very light. Whom to blame.... it boils down to our india legal system. Every dealer is taking the customer for a ride. Unless the customer is very influential, they do not bend to a normal people.

A different but a similar experience with one of my friend. The tata guys hesitate to replace the spoiled condenser. Initially, the car was for a/c repair and dealer repaired and delivered the car back. but again the same problem - A/C not working. When insisted on his rapair work, the guys comes back and said the condenser is spoiled and you need to replace.

Now whose fault is this ? somebody's negligence to be borne by the customer with his hard earned money.
Well, if youre not scrupulous about the new parts added in your car or about the engine service done by authorized service center , these service center personnel will cheat you. Whenever i take my car to an authorized service center, and the service advisor advises me to change a part . I ask him for the reason, make myself aware of the reason for part change and if i find the service personnal argument reasonable, then give my assent for the replacement of a part . Furthermore, the new part must be installed in your presence.Otherwise, they'll simple install a second hand part with the problematic one , and charge you for a new part, if youre not attentive. GM authorized service center's are notorious for these malpractices!
Old 21st November 2009, 20:24   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Happy to report the car performs like Usain Bolt on steroids! Man, I'd forgotten how responsive the Optra is. Had a very pleasurable test drive this evening, and am pleased as punch. I didn't know that unclogging the catalytic convertor makes such a huge difference.
Could you post some details on the procedure followed ?
AFAIK, service advisors recommend that the cat should be replaced ad 80 K kms.

Would love to get the Ikon 1.6 back in the growling mode !
Old 22nd November 2009, 01:19   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashoin View Post
Could you post some details on the procedure followed ?
AFAIK, service advisors recommend that the cat should be replaced ad 80 K kms.
I don't know if it is possible to successfully clean a catalytic converter - most people just "clean" whatever is inside the catalytic converter - leaving a "free flow" catcon does give a little boost in performance - at the cost of increasing emissions!
Old 24th November 2009, 16:09   #25
BHPian

Ok, just spoke to Sanjay at RD about what exactly he did to "unclog" the catalytic converter. He said they just took out the honeycomb - which basically means there isn't a catalytic converter any more. He says he's willing to take any wager that the car will still pass the emmission norms.

I intend to check the emmission and confirm.
Old 24th November 2009, 16:22   #26
Team-BHP Support

It should pass emission norm, check emission when engine is cold and you will see the difference, just for the heck of it but still should pass with flying colors.

No big issue, its just that you are not a very environment friendly person, then again most of us are NOT
Old 24th November 2009, 17:59   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ok, just spoke to Sanjay at RD about what exactly he did to "unclog" the catalytic converter. He said they just took out the honeycomb - which basically means there isn't a catalytic converter any more. He says he's willing to take any wager that the car will still pass the emmission norms.

I intend to check the emmission and confirm.
The only difference you will find with the absence of Cat Con is you will have a lot of CO and SOx coming out instead of CO2 and H20. Rest all should be same.
Old 24th November 2009, 19:12   #28
BHPian

@Jaggu
I guess you wouldn't find the relative merits and performance of bicycles and electric cars as a hot discussion thread on this forum eh?
Old 4th December 2009, 00:45   #29
Senior - BHPian

Guys, doesn't the Cat-con also house the O2 sensor. Is the sensor also removed with the catcon? And how does this affect the redings going to the ECU and its funtioning?
Old 4th December 2009, 03:57   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
. He said they just took out the honeycomb - which basically means there isn't a catalytic converter any more. .
but why not put it back? was it really clogged, any pics?

There are many cars with even higher miles running fine with original cats. I have a feeling there is more to it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks