Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2009, 18:43   #31
Senior - BHPian

Are any i20 CRDi's having this problem as well?
Old 31st December 2009, 09:41   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
Are any i20 CRDi's having this problem as well?
Yep, this problem exists in the crdi as well/ Do a search for Jayd's thread on i20. His problem was solved by replacing the rubber bush with a urethane bush as well
Old 31st December 2009, 16:29   #33
BHPian

My i20 1.2 Asta is now 9 months and 8500kms old. I have not faced any such problems yet. Only issue in my car is dashboard makes some noise when the car goes over bad or uneven roads, and probably some suspension noise. What kind of noise are you guys talking about ??
Old 9th March 2010, 15:07   #34
BHPian

Front right noise in I20 CRDI

Hi! I am new to Team BHP. Just last week introduced myself and replied a few threads (trying to hurry up to become a BHPian from Newbie )
I am not sure if I have posted this thread in the right section. If it's not, then please help me in putting this thread in the right section.
I have Aug 2009 I20 CRDI ASTA Dark Grey. A few months back, had this thudding noise coming from the right front of the car when the car is driven on a broken road. After going through the Team BHP site, came to know that it could be the steering column noise. Took the car to the servicing centre and informed them about the noise and that it might be from the steering column. They attended to the problem and informed me that the steering column needed oiling.
Things were fine, suddenly the thudding noise has started again, but it's very strange. Times when the car hits a bad patch the thudding sound is heard from the right front of the car and sometime it's fine (no thudding noise). When I take the car to the service centre and when they take the car for test drive, everything is perfect and I come out feeling like an idiot.
What could be the problem ? Please let me know.
Thanks.

Sujay.
Old 8th April 2010, 18:16   #35
BHPian

My i20 Asta is now a little over two months and has clocked a little under 2,500Km. Almost about two weeks back i started to hear a squeaking sound emanating from the front passenger side (at least thats my guess for now). Initially the squeaking sound was audible only while driving over extremely rough roads, but now its audible even on slightly bad roads. Also, the front passenger seatbelt alarm has become erratic.

One other thing i noticed is, when driving over humps (esp the small multiple ones you get on highways) i get this vibration that makes me think the axle or steering rod is rattling inside its casing (i am a novice when it comes to automobile lingo so please excuse my limited vocabulary).

As anyone experienced something similar and can provide some advice so i am in a better position to explain the service guys.
Old 11th April 2010, 22:38   #36
BANNED

The Steering Column rattling sound still do exist in all i20 cars, and neither the dealers nor the Hyundai is not taken any initiative to resolve the issue.

In my car too it appeared/or i noticed recently and i'm going to visit the dealer in a few days time and will update you the latest.
Old 12th April 2010, 08:35   #37
BHPian

I took my car to the Yeshwanthpur Trident service center over the weekend and insisted on the service guy driving my car on a rough patch to get an good idea of where the squeaking sound was originating from. As Murphy's law would have it, the squeaking sound stopped when the service guy started driving the car. Luckily i suggested that i sit on the back seat and observe and this time the sound was audible. Banging the seat with a fist could clearly reproduce the sound. After almost 2hrs of trying to unsuccessfully locate the source, the technicians finally decided to remove the whole seat, sprayed some anti-rust solution all around and fixed the seat back. Surprisingly the squeaking sound stopped. I had the service guy again take my car out for a spin and ensured that the sound was all but gone. I think some nut/bolt was loose and removing the seat and fixing it back actually did the trick.

Since it was late in the evening, i decided that i will look into the steering issue another time as the problem was not that rampant.

I have driven my car for two day and and the problem has not resurface. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 12th April 2010, 10:17   #38
BHPian

can one of you who sees the steering column rattling issue frequently do a video/audio recording of what you see/hear and post it here? you can have your friend sitting in passenger seat do the recording as it might be unsafe to do it yourself.

i do have a i20 -AT (less than 2K miles so far) but haven't heard any rattling so far. or maybe i have ignored it. just want to be sure.

thanks
Old 12th April 2010, 10:23   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachchu View Post
can one of you who sees the steering column rattling issue frequently do a video/audio recording of what you see/hear and post it here? you can have your friend sitting in passenger seat do the recording as it might be unsafe to do it yourself.

i do have a i20 -AT (less than 2K miles so far) but haven't heard any rattling so far. or maybe i have ignored it. just want to be sure.

thanks

If you haven't herd it, then you don't have the problem!! unless of course you are driving in traffic with the windows down or with the music system on max volume.

The sound is irritating as hell and hard to miss. Just keep your fingers crossed and hope it doesn't show later.
Old 12th April 2010, 11:06   #40
rbp
BHPian

The rattling has started on my i20 CRDI, the car has done 8K, this happens specifically on bad roads and this thing is very very irritating.
Old 12th April 2010, 15:16   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachchu View Post

thanks
I am doing a trip to Goa 1st week of May. I will try se if i can capture something on tape and post it on the forum
Old 12th April 2010, 15:31   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
The Steering Column rattling sound still do exist in all i20 cars, and neither the dealers nor the Hyundai is not taken any initiative to resolve the issue.

In my car too it appeared/or i noticed recently and i'm going to visit the dealer in a few days time and will update you the latest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbp View Post
The rattling has started on my i20 CRDI, the car has done 8K, this happens specifically on bad roads and this thing is very very irritating.
I agree, when it starts, its irritating to the core. I was surprised at the lack of basic equipment at the service centers to isolate the source of these problems. There is no test bed to induce rough surfaces, no electronic equipments (read sound meters) to isolate the source, infact i noticed they don't even have proper torch lights while working on badly lit areas. Their mobile phone acts as a torch. But they do however have a pair of gloves and and gum boots.

I am sure these irritating sounds are a common complaint and they are so ill equipped to rectify it.
Old 13th April 2010, 21:51   #43
BANNED

The Sources says its a common problem in i10 and i20. What Hyundai is instructed to the dealer is to do a Trial and Error method.

Trial and error - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 22nd April 2010, 13:39   #44
BANNED

Update:- The dealer done some checks and admitted that the problem still remains. I took the SM and SA along with me for the trial runs. The SM told me they will be informing the Company (Hyundai) for further suggestions.

My car was there in A.S.S for 3 days on last week. Now as per the dealer Hyundai has to authorize the dealer to change any part.
Old 23rd April 2010, 14:38   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
Update:- The dealer done some checks and admitted that the problem still remains. I took the SM and SA along with me for the trial runs. The SM told me they will be informing the Company (Hyundai) for further suggestions.

My car was there in A.S.S for 3 days on last week. Now as per the dealer Hyundai has to authorize the dealer to change any part.
Hey Wildon, which service center you are getting your car looked at?

Most Viewed