Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2009, 09:40   #1
BHPian

Rattling problem on the i20

I took delivery of an i20 magna on 29.09.09. At around 1000 Km on the odometer and 3 weeks into ownership i started getting a rattling noise from the front right hand side of the car whenever i drive over rough roads.

Had this checked at Hyundai Motor plaza service center, chennai (The same place from where i picked up the car). The executive said it was a wheel caliper problem and would be fixed at the first service.

Gave the car for its first service on 10.11.09 at 1453 Km on the odometer. Got the car back by 2 in the afternoon same day and on test drive the same noise persisted.

Three different service guys have driven the car and had a go to fix the problem. Had to leave the car at the service station overnight.

On 11.11.09 the service executive calls saying they have tried all they could but are unable to address the situation. The guy says its probably a steering column issue for which they have called the original vendor to have a look. This is going to happen only by Monday 16.11.09. Until then they have sent the car back to my residence and the service executive has said that i can continue driving the car as it is not a serious issue.

So:

1. what exactly could this noise be due to?

2. If it is a steering column issue as mentioned by the service executive what could it mean and how serious is a steering column issue?

Please help with your views. I'm going through serious heartburn waiting for Monday!!!
Old 13th November 2009, 10:02   #2
Team-BHP Support

Steering column sound, first check the column dampers. If they have a play they will make a kat kat sound while going over uneven surface, sometime only at certain angles. Am not sure if its a common issue with i's but definitely an issue with MUL cars.

Since the car is brand new, you should get everything covered in warranty.
Old 13th November 2009, 10:12   #3
BANNED

It must be column damper. I think JayD mentioned getting the column damper replaced in his i20 under warranty. The damper was replaced with a harder damper which solved the rattle.
Old 14th November 2009, 12:54   #4
BHPian

I did PM JayD, and he mentioned a urethane bush was replaced. Had the service center carry out a similar exercise on my i20, but the rattle still continues :-(

They've asked me to bring in the car on Monday so the steering assembly vendors can have a look in. Hope this gets solved by then.

This is playing out like one long, bad movie!!!
Old 14th November 2009, 16:08   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

it could be caliper pin noise ; have the pins cleaned, greased and then re-check

to confirm,before you get this done ,drive the car over rough roads and look for the noise.If the noise stops by just depressing the brake pedal partially,it is the pins for sure

Last edited by vigsom : 14th November 2009 at 16:10. Reason: second para added
Old 17th November 2009, 20:36   #6
BHPian

And the horrors continue!!!

The steering column has been replaced under warranty. The following have been noticed subsequently. The nice people from hyundai have also replaced the rubber bush with a urethane bush in the steering column

1) The steering has become stiffer than earlier. I just loved the super light steering of the i20

2) The bonnet when closed has a gap on the drivers side. This never existed before i gave the car for servicing

3) The center cover of the steering wheel where the horn is pressed has not been fixed properly and has to be re-aligned and re-fixed.

One more trip to the service centre!!! SIGH
Old 17th November 2009, 21:33   #7
BHPian

Dont worry boss it is a very simple problem and it had cropped up in my car also. Firstly check the tyre pressure in your car. Secondly the problem will be mostly with the suspension of the car and not in the stearing column. My service mechanic was intelligent enough to find out that the problem was in the suspension though the service advisor suspected problem with stearing column. Few tightning of bolts and nuts in the suspension and the problem was solved. So dont worry and just try and get the job done.
Old 17th November 2009, 22:07   #8
BANNED

I can tell you one thing the Hyundai service guys and the Hyundai India official guys don't know to solve the problem which comes in Hyundai i20. They are just dump.

You know what i know particular i20 case - An new i20 run <3500 K.M Stalled in the middle of a long trip

This was happend to one of my friends i20 . It took ONE MONTH for Hyundai International guys to locate the problem after the Indian guys gave up.
Old 17th November 2009, 22:24   #9
BHPian

Hey Mubeen. you havent mentioned if the problem is gone or not.
Very surprisingly i have the same problem in my I10. its 8 months old and the problem has been there since beginning. dealers have been dismissing it saying that i'm paranoid and there's nothing (and i believed it).

do the cars share the same steering column?
Old 17th November 2009, 22:53   #10
BHPian

When I saw i20 during launch, I was amazed at the way the car was put together. I never expected any niggles from I20. Man this is bad news.

@Mubeen, please keep us updated on this issue.
Old 17th November 2009, 22:58   #11
BHPian

Can this be similar to the problem faced by svaid (and reported by many i10 owners in his thread)?

His problem is still not resolved by HMP Hyundai.

Details here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ip-report.html
Old 17th November 2009, 23:05   #12
BHPian

Could be Steering damper issue.

My i20,which I took delivery on 1st oct 2009,too had the same problem.Sent the car to Suryabala Hyundai Coimbatore and they replaced the bush in steering column.

The rattling is gone since then.Steering too is normal.

My friend who took delivery along with me too has the same issue.Heard that Hyundai had sent a circular to all dealers informing them to replace the bush in the steering assembly if any i20's come with this complaint.

I sent the car to Chandra Hyundai first.After keeping the car for a whole day,when I went in the evening,they told me they didnt have the bush in stock.

Next day sent the car to Suryabala Hyundai and they fixed it.
Old 18th November 2009, 07:26   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gultajkanwal View Post
Hey Mubeen. you havent mentioned if the problem is gone or not.
Very surprisingly i have the same problem in my I10. its 8 months old and the problem has been there since beginning. dealers have been dismissing it saying that i'm paranoid and there's nothing (and i believed it).

do the cars share the same steering column?
The rattling noise has gone after changing the steering column. It did not go when they replaced the rubber bush with the urethane bush!!

So the initial problem has been solved but only at the cost of new subsequent issues!
Old 18th November 2009, 10:53   #14
BHPian

Final update (hopefully)

Chronology of arriving at solution to the situation

Urethane bush added to the steering column - rattles continued

I 20 steering column replaced under warranty - rattles stopped but steering tight, steering wheel horn cover fixed with alignment wrong and bonnet lid had a big gap on the drivers side when bonnet closed

I 20 went back to service centre this morning (18.11.09) and the following was addressed

1. bonnet lid has some rubber bushes in which slight adjustment made. Bonnet closes without gap now

2. steering wheel horn cover re-fixed in proper alignment

3. with regard to steering stiffness the service executive says that because its a new steering column it feels tight. I dont buy his reasoning on this. But i'll give him the benifit of doubt and wait for 500 - 750 km before i pile onto him again.

That's all for now folks. Hope things stay good from here on now.

P.S. on an unrelated note i've had bosch horns added and they rock. The OE sucked big time!!
Old 18th November 2009, 12:37   #15
Team-BHP Support

Point 3, dont bother too much if its not very tight. It will loosen up a lil as the damper bush wear's out. Only dark side, hope this is not the solution they found for the rattle. If so as steering free up the sound also will come back.

Most Viewed