Team-BHP - Leather Car Seats
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Leather Car Seats (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/6951-leather-car-seats.html)

Thanks to the floods the car seats of my RS (Black and white) got a good soaking. I wonder what damage could have bhappened to them.

1. What repairs should I look at?
2. Would it make sense to replace the seats? How do I know?
3. If I replace then should I get the orignal or Sparco or some nicer ones. Remember I would need to change front and rear.

Thanks

Has it dried up? If yes, try some leather treatment like ARMORALL LEATHER CARE.

But from your note it looks like you're looking for an opportunity to change your seats to some better one ;)

Well, if you do decide to get rid of your seats, I take first call on them!! I'm dying to get my hands on RS seats!!

wow this attracts the attention of not one but 2 moderators.

The reason I asked...
The car was flooded on tuesday maybe thanks to my folly of trying to shrotcut through shivaji park. we bailed out what water we could wednesday 27th. however thanks to the conditions we could not get it to a garage till tuesday the 2nd of august.

I wonder if the foam under the seats would have got damanged by being soaked for this long. During the ride to the garage the seats felt squishy but that could be my immagination.

I am awaiting the insurnace sureyors report and I will ask him to look at this problem.

If I get a good deal from the Insurance I might change them in which case the old seats are yours, Rtech.

If I change them should I look at Sparco or get Skoda to give me original RS seats. Does Sparco have a black white 2 tone seat like the RS? Is there something better than Sparco? Does Sparco also have matching rear seats? If not I would either get the seats repaired (if it is possible) or get original RS seats.

Check out This link though these seats may be a bit too extreme for everyday driving. You won't be able to get rear's though (although I think Sparco made some good seats for Saab a few years ago).

I doubt insurance would cover the seats though, they would probably just dry them out. There should be minimal damage. Worst case scenario, you strip off the leather, dry out the cushioning, then restitch the leather again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rtech
Worst case scenario, you strip off the leather, dry out the cushioning, then restitch the leather again.

...And sell it to Rtech after you're satisfied :)

Thanks Rtech for the vote on confidence. You think Autobahn is equipped to handle this. my guess is that insurance will cover 50% of damage to hte seats.

I don't know if Autobahn would take the time to do this. They are pretty choked up with cars now. What did they say when you dropped the car off? Any mention on how they would dry the seats?

Quote:

...And sell it to Rtech after you're satisfied
Why, that thought never crossed my mind :)

They said they would first wait for the surveyors report. i guess I would have to convince the surveyor to require them to do this.

Apart from being racing seats et all,
Are the sparco's comfortable. For long drives.
one think i really liked abt the Baleno were its seats. The front seats really grip you nicely
And thats one thing i found that was quite lousy in the Ikon
Since i can have only one car, i am very much a Performance & Comfort - sharp performance but and everyday usable car kinda chap!!.

Havent seen RS seats, are they diff from the ordinary seats

The drivers seat i the RS is great. too bad i hardly get to use it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rtech
There should be minimal damage. Worst case scenario, you strip off the leather, dry out the cushioning, then restitch the leather again.

The RS seats are not all leather. Would anyone know someone (preferably someone who is good and can orgainse insurance coverage) who can do this job. Autobahn is busy to be bothered to do a comphrehensive job.

I remember Mad Monkey saying that the leather used is supplied by Stanley. Yes, it's only used on the sides of the seat, and this would probably be a good thing!

The safest (but not cheapest) would be to go to a stanley dealer and ask them to do this. I'm sure they would be the best to advise you on how to go about the drying as well.

Option II: Take out the seats, take them to your terrace (if you have one) and leave them under the sun (when it comes out!) for a couple of days. That should dry them out. But, the leather may become hard after that, so you would probably want to treat it with a conditioner first.

The leather I hear is Stanley Napa which is one of the more expensive Stanley Leathers. Could anyone name a reliable Stanley dealer preferably in the Worli-Prabhadevi area.

Taken from their website - www.stanleyseating.com : Mumbai dealer: Bhavi 26187711,26115843.

But, if you look in any auto magazine, you will find a long list of dealers. Take a look and see what's closest to you.