Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2009, 21:30   #1
BHPian

Hyundai i10 - Starting Problem

Hi All

My i10 kappa ownership report can be viewed at i10 kappa sportz - 1 year/16K kms ownership report which details about my experience with the vehicle so far.

The reason for creating a separate thread is to address an urgent problem I am facing and get quick feedback from fellow owners/members. Additionally my ownership report is in an intermediate state and has 3rd service experience update in progress. So don't want to jump in time there.

Today evening at around 5:40 PM when I cranked the car in my office parking, it refused to come to life. I tried for 4-5 times and all was in vain. There was no regular cranking sound - just a small dying caturrrrrrr like sound which used to silent out. I quickly checked if headlight/cabin light is working and it looked OK

Extremely concerned and disappointed called up HMP helpline who redirected me to Nimbus Hyundai Noida helpline. I explained the situation to that person and he asked me if on putting the car in ignition I can see the warning signs ( eg seat belt/ parking brake etc ) on the display. I told him that lights etc are working so I am not sure if battery is the issue. He took my address details and said that would be reaching in about half an hour.

I waited for about an hour and give him a call again at 6:45. He tells me that he is on the way and would reach in 10 minutes. He reaches at around 7 and has a look. He tells me that probably the battery is gone. I am like . OEM battery has conked off in just 11 months. I am shocked as well as surprised. I ask him how is he so confident and that he should check. He takes out some equipment to check the battery and finds that one of cells is completely gone.

This OEM battery is EXIDE. I ask him what do I do now? He says that there is 2 year warranty on the EXIDE battery and I should get it replaced under warranty. I ask him what will be the brand of the battery that would be replaced. The answer is EXIDE. I am concerned since another EXIDE battery might again mean a failure 1 year later.He tells me to come to Nimbus Hyundai tomorrow and get the battery replaced under warranty.

I tell him that would prefer to get it done from HMP only. Anyhow the top priority at that moment is to get the car started for which push start would be needed. We do a push start and engine comes to life. He tells me that I can decide where to get the battery replaced from and leaves. Now the challenge is to make sure that I reach home from Noida through all kinds of traffic jams ensuring engine doesnt switch off anytime as it would mean me getting stranded.

It was a very different experience to drive back home on the same roads that I commute daily on with the pressure of ensuring thet engine doesnt go off. Anyhow I reached home, park the car, switch the engine off and crank it. The same oldd dying caturrrrrr

So I need your urgent advise on how about to address this problem. I am highly disappointed that the battery has conked up in 11 months ( Note that I have no autopcop/ additional ICE or any other electrical component other than OEM Stock ).

QUERY
  • Should I get the battery replaced under warranty and plonk another EXIDE ? Is EXIDE really bad or mine is a one off case.
OR
  • Should I get another more reliable and long lasting battery paying money from my pocket?
  • If yes, then which one?
  • Has any other fellow i10 owner experienced this?
  • Does using an after market battery means any violation of warranty?
I would highly appreciate a quick response since I want to do this as first thing tomorrow morning.

Thanks in advance
-svaid

Last edited by svaid : 30th October 2009 at 21:33.
Old 30th October 2009, 21:59   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svaid View Post
QUERY
  • Should I get the battery replaced under warranty and plonk another EXIDE ? Is EXIDE really bad or mine is a one off case.
Dont waste your money. Get a warranty replacement. OEM batts are known to be rather flaky. Save the dough for a replacement after the warranty on the 2nd batt expires. You're lucky Hyundai offer a 2 year warranty, most OEM batts carry 6 to 12 months depending on the car.

People have had mixed experience with Exide that swing to two extremes. I've never had problems in almost 2 decades of using Exides. They've never let me down. OTOH, this forum has more tales of sorrow about Exide than joy. Favourite is Amaron followed by Bosch.

Cheers!
Old 30th October 2009, 22:15   #3
Senior - BHPian

I second R2D2 on this. Why buy new when the warranty is covering it?
Old 30th October 2009, 22:30   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Electrical system check

svaid, get the car's electrical system checked when you're getting the battery replaced.

Tell the Hyundai chaps to check alternator voltage and amperage. Also check for current leaks especially if you've fitted aftermarket stereos or other electrical equipment.

Cheers!
Old 30th October 2009, 22:36   #5
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Sell the brand new Exide and go for a different brand.
Old 30th October 2009, 22:41   #6
BHPian

I understand how it feels when something happens to a brand new product ! I just got off a fight with my sofa dealer for supplying a 'brand new' defective sofa. After a long tussle they have ultimately replaced the sofa today !

See if you can convince your dealer to replace the Exide with an Amaron. Else dont worry too much, probably its just your bad luck that a defective EXIDE landed in your car. Though Amaron outsmarts EXIDE presently, EXIDE has created a satisfactory standard of its own. So just pray that your next EXIDE is not a defective one like your previous.
Old 31st October 2009, 11:22   #7
BHPian

Thanks all for your valuable inputs.
Based on the feedback, I am going ahead and getting the battery replaced under warranty.

Additionally just wanted to check this - for the past week, just after cold start and for a drive of around 45 minutes to my office in the morning, I felt that the horn was running out of breadth. If I used to press the horn it made a sound different from the usual one which used to die away.
I didnt bother about it too much.
Was this a warning sign about the battery which I ignored?

-svaid
Old 31st October 2009, 14:35   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Once again, please get your car's electrical system check as mentioned below. It is rather unusual for a battery to fail so early in its life (keeping all Exide bashing aside).
Sure - I will get it checked.

I called up HMP on road service in the morning today and told them about the battery going bad and possibly needing replacement. The guy gives me another Delhi number ( 011-32711111 ). I call this number and apparently this is Exide mobile on road service. They tell me that they come and check the battery or help jump start. If I already know that the battery is bad and want to get it replaced, I should call at a different Okhla number ( 011 - 41709967 ) who would help replace the battery.

I call this number and they tell me that its already 12:30 and they are closed and now I can come on Tuesday only as Monday is a holiday. I explain them I cant wait for three days just for a faulty battery but they say nothing much can be done

I now call up HMP workshop and tell the lady on the phone that I have a faulty battery which needs replacement. She says that I can come on 3rd November 8 AM for the job. I am again shocked - for a simple battery stuff why should I wait for so long. In my earlier experience at Maruti, they used to replace battery at the workshop without problem. They anyways used to have history of the battery with them.

I tell this lady that this is not acceptable and I want to talk to someone senior. So she gives me number of Mr. Amit. I talk to him and he says the same story. I tell him to give the number of his senior and now he gives me number of Mr. Ankur. I call this person and he tells me that he will callback in 5 minutes. After one hour and no call from his side - I call him up and express my concern and anger.

He politely explains that they can check battery and replace it only once Exide says that it has a problem. This is the issue because of which all thecproblem is happening. They cant replace the battery as is. I again tell him that its Hyundai who has used Exide and they have to take ownership. I cant run around waiting for 2 days for Exide to open and check my battery/replace it.

So this guy has now promised to callback at 3 after talking to Exide. He is telling me that he will try to arrange a Service battery ( if at all available with Exide ) in the meantime till Exide checks my current battery and gives the verdict.

For a simple battery problem this has been a bitter circus of events I am facing .

Not having a feel good about Hyundai at this moment.............
Old 31st October 2009, 15:26   #9
Senior - BHPian

SVaid, it's time to sound aggressive on the phone than being humble. These guys think customer is a fool and make him run from pillar to post but when all is in vain, one has to resort to such stern tactics and 99% of the time, work gets done.

And I'll advice you to get the new Exide replaced for an aftermarket Amaron. Check for the prices of the Exide battery in the market and try getting the best buyback.
Old 31st October 2009, 15:30   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Svaid, sorry to know that you are facing some issues with your i10. I had gone through your other post explaining in detail about i10 and your service experience.

It is common that cars develop some kind of glitches from time to time. Its an accepted risk. After all its an automobile. Don't be too frustrated. Get the battery replaced and enjoy your drive.
Old 31st October 2009, 17:35   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sure - I will get it checked.

For a simple battery problem this has been a bitter circus of events I am facing

I know how frustrated you must be feeling. The battery is sourced from a 3rd party vendor just like tyres are. Therefore the car mfr would have to get the vendor to verify the warranty claim before giving a replacement.

Actually Vaid ji any car mfr would be required to do this. I had an issue with my previous car's BS tyres and I was asked to approach the nearest BS office in Pune and then the dealer to ascertain if the claim was justified (it wasnt, but that's another story).

To be honest batteries are like bulbs, they can die on you at the most inopportune moment. Hence it is important to keep an eye for any sign of weakness and maintain them regularly.

You could do one thing. Approach an Exide battery dealer and ask him to charge the battery for you and under that pretext he'll give you a service battery which will keep you mobile for the next few days. Best part is he'll be able to ascertain if the OEM battery is faulty in the 1st place. If it is (get it in writing), you have a clear cut case for replacement which you can take back to Hyundai

Regards,
Old 31st October 2009, 17:38   #12
Senior - BHPian

svaid, as you have narrowed down the problem to a non mechanical failure, I guess you should be a bit relieved. You can replace a battery anytime. Just look at the positive side - the thing to go wrong IS a user replaceable part and you are not dependent on any mechanic!
Its another story that Hyundai guys are playing the red tape game here, a few stern words should line them up.
Old 31st October 2009, 17:49   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Actually Vaid ji any car mfr would be required to do this. I had an issue with my previous car's BS tyres and I was asked to approach the nearest BS office in Pune and then the dealer to ascertain if the claim was justified (it wasnt, but that's another story).
I have no problem with the procedure in place. But if that is something which causes inconvenience to the end customer - then it is not right in the first place. Now just because Exide is closed for coming two days doesnt mean - I just cant drive my car. Neither Exide nor Hyundai wanted to own the problem. IMHO - Hyundai end of the day has to ensure that I as a customer dont get stranded [ Thats precisely the reason for a slightly harsh feeling for Hyundai as indicated in my previous post ].

Additionally I am not aware of the current status but around 4 years back - just a couple of days after the servicing, the car battery of my M800 conked off. Luckily after some retries - the car started and since it was day time - I directly took it to MASS ( Competent which at Mehrauli at that time ). They found battery to be faulty and immediately replaced it there and then by installing a new battery from their store. That is precisely how I would also like it ( Let Hyundai and vendor settle the stuff keeping the customer insulated )

Anyways - after repeated calls and some stern posture, Mr Ankur finally said that he will call me in 15 minutes and took my address etc. After a few minutes - I recieve a call not from him but now from an unknown number. This is a guy calling from Exide who now tells me that they dont have a service battery right now but would try to provide one to me tomorrow. I again ask what do you mean by try - if you can provide say YES ans tell me by what time else say NO. He has finally promised to send me a service battery by 12 noon tomorrow.

Lets see what happens now...

Last edited by svaid : 31st October 2009 at 17:53.
Old 1st November 2009, 22:00   #14
BHPian

Today the guys came from EXIDE as promised. They checked the battery and found that one of the cells is totally gone. The have now replaced it with a service battery and Mr. Kappa is now on the move.

The have told me that it will take 7-10 days for the battery replacement and they would come to my place and replace the service battery with a new one.

They have taken my service booklet with them since they need it for the replacement claim. It would be returned by them when they come back with the new battery.

So for now the issue is resolved and lets see how long does it take for the new battery to come..
Old 1st November 2009, 22:04   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Today the guys came from EXIDE as promised. They checked the battery and found that one of the cells is totally gone. The have now replaced it with a service battery and Mr. Kappa is now on the move.

The have told me that it will take 7-10 days for the battery replacement and they would come to my place and replace the service battery with a new one.

They have taken my service booklet with them since they need it for the replacement claim. It would be returned by them when they come back with the new battery.

So for now the issue is resolved and lets see how long does it take for the new battery to come..
Hey Svaid, good to know that the exide guys had given you a replacement battery. Hope that you get a new replacement for your old one. Happy motoring!!

Most Viewed