Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2009, 16:42   #16
Team-BHP Support

Bump: If its a tie rod, please do not keep driving without alignment.

Update please !
Old 24th December 2009, 12:16   #17
BHPian

Ah.. completely forgot about this thread. Well, the whole thing (part+labour) costed me around 350 bucks at MASS.

Have gone the alignment done as per your suggestions. And, now car is running as smooth as ever.
Old 28th May 2014, 12:02   #18
BHPian

Concerns, suggestions for damaged front left wheel.

Last day yet another unfortunate incident happened at crawling speed when tried negotiating a left hand turn, front left wheel crawled on top of a weak man hole cement cover (storm water drainage) which crumbled (newly done and no indication like cone or barricade was kept that would have alerted me.) and the car itself fell and got stuck.

After lots of human help, burning rubber and burning of clutch the car was pulled out to safety. i visually inspected and found the engine guard to be bent. The mud guard was not broken (black plastic), no scratches in alloy at least visually. As i drove home the remaining distance i did not get any warning. But i could sense burning smell coming from somewhere, not sure where.

Questions: What i should check immediately. please clarify. is there anyway where i can post a complaint about the bad work done by the road authorities of not having put up a visual hazard warning ? It was so dangerous, as it was in dead middle of the road entrance and people who live in that particular lane where so careless to be plying on the sides without taking any steps ?

Last edited by sriramr9 : 28th May 2014 at 12:07.
Old 28th May 2014, 12:48   #19
Senior - BHPian

Re: Concerns, suggestions for damaged front left wheel.

Sad to hear about the incident Sriram.

You need to get the suspected wheel balancing and alignment checked if there is no visual damage observed. Have you ensured that apart from the stone guard, nothing has gone bad like coolant/liquid dripping etc. When you drove hoome did you notice any difference in the ride quality apart from the burning rubber smell? Most probably the clutch pads must have been smoked when you tried to get the car out of the manhole.

A visit to Fiat workshop can sort out any doubts.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2014, 13:00   #20
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramr9 View Post
Last day yet another unfortunate incident happened at crawling speed when tried negotiating a left hand turn, front left wheel crawled on top of a weak man hole cement cover (storm water drainage) which crumbled and the car itself fell and got stuck.

I visually inspected and found the engine guard to be bent. The mud guard was not broken (black plastic), no scratches in alloy at least visually. As i drove home the remaining distance i did not get any warning. But i could sense burning smell coming from somewhere, not sure where.
Check the suspension, lower arm specially, drive shaft for damage. May be due to this fall some rubber past is touching the hot engine and burning slowly or the tyre is rubbing against something.

Quote:
Questions: What i should check immediately. please clarify. is there anyway where i can post a complaint about the bad work done by the road authorities of not having put up a visual hazard warning ?
I don't think even if you complain anything substantial will happen but may reach the ears at least. Good that the incident happened in the car, had it been a 2 wheeler conditions and situations would have been worse today.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2014, 13:07   #21
Senior - BHPian

Check the lower arms, stabilizer bars, the brake rotor and remember to get balancing and alignment done. Sorry to hear about this mate!
Old 28th May 2014, 13:08   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Sad to hear about the incident Sriram.

You need to get the suspected wheel balancing and alignment checked if there is no visual damage observed. Have you ensured that apart from the stone guard, nothing has gone bad like coolant/liquid dripping etc. When you drove home did you notice any difference in the ride quality apart from the burning rubber smell? Most probably the clutch pads must have been smoked when you tried to get the car out of the manhole.

A visit to Fiat workshop can sort out any doubts.
Could not test drive quality thoroughly as it was crowded and i was running at high temperature, was still looking for warnings in dash none as of now, today morning checked for leaks but nothing on the ground, did not open bonnet and check. Will have to get the wheel balancing and alignment done for sure, is there a way to find a difference in driving after burning the clutch, i tried but could not? But there was substantial rubber burn from front left tire

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Check the suspension, lower arm specially, drive shaft for damage. May be due to this fall some rubber past is touching the hot engine and burning slowly or the tyre is rubbing against something.
yes i tried, all i could see from outside was a visual bend of the engine guard., not sure on the lower arm, will get it checked tommorow when i will be taking it, thanks for that pointer.

Quote:
I don't think even if you complain anything substantial will happen but may reach the ears at least. Good that the incident happened in the car, had it been a 2 wheeler conditions and situations would have been worse today.
I did complain to the doctor whom i visited whose clinic was in proximity to the accident scene to inform the authorities to at least to put a hazard warning at the earliest so motorists don't fall inside.
Old 28th May 2014, 13:14   #23
BANNED

Quote:
yes i tried, all i could see from outside was a visual bend of the engine guard., not sure on the lower arm, will get it checked tommorow when i will be taking it, thanks for that pointer.

I did complain to the doctor whom i visited whose clinic was in proximity to the accident scene to inform the authorities to at least to put a hazard warning at the earliest so motorists don't fall inside.
Complain to the traffic police department from their website. Not sure if it'll work but try.

Drive around for a while and see if the left tyre is hot. If it is then the tyre is rubbing against something.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2014, 13:36   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Complain to the traffic police department from their website. Not sure if it'll work but try.

Drive around for a while and see if the left tyre is hot. If it is then the tyre is rubbing against something.

Anurag.
Will drive tomorrow and post feedback here, i generally baby the engine a lot, substantial idle during cold starts and after driving, never have slipped the clutch intentionally, never over rev on any conditions, yest all that abuse was done with in 5 mins of time, premature engine shutdown after high revvs, extended huigh revving and burning the clutch all at the same time.http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/images...rustration.gif
Old 28th May 2014, 16:09   #25

Re: Noisy Swift after going over a pothole at high speed

Hi Sriram,
Sorry to hear this incident. Kindly check the forearms and wheel alignment. Also check if there is any bumper damages too. Don't make any long drives before checking with the service person. Similar case to one of my friends happened recently for which he has paid 3000 rs for changing the tyre. You can lodge a online complaint in Corporation of Chennai portal and it will be resolved positively.

Regards,
Ashwin
ashwin.raj80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2014, 19:04   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.raj80 View Post
You can lodge a online complaint in Corporation of Chennai portal and it will be resolved positively.
Sure, Ashwin_raj, i shall post a complaint and shall post the web link here. as far as i can guess there was substantial tire and clutch wear with the distinct burning smell.

Planned to get checked following things,
1. Oil levels, all oil levels,
2. Denting of engine guard.
3. inspecting left lower arm for visual damage for repair.
4. Suspension check (any specifics here ?) including mounts.
5. check for any rubbing with front wheel on account of the underbody damage.
6. Check tire pressure and in case of puncture to fix the same.
7. Wheel alignment and balancing.
8. repairing plastering scratches in front bumper.

Anything more pl also mention.
Old 31st May 2014, 22:17   #27
BHPian

Hi All

Had an inspection done to the under body, this model of fiat cars were provided with a metal plate that took the weight of the car, i was 100% fortunate in this case. Lower arm was not touched in this case as the car's left wheel was the victim, had it been the right hand side the vehicle would have rested on the lower arm directly.

Thanks FIAT for the metal plate in the under body.

1. Oil levels, all oil levels, (No issues found)
2. Denting of engine guard. (A special tool was used to pull out the dent)
3. inspecting left lower arm for visual damage for repair. (None, the metal guard took the abrasion and beating)
4. Suspension check (any specifics here ?) including mounts. (No issues no squeaks, noise, screech found while driving on rough surfaces.)
5. check for any rubbing with front wheel on account of the under body damage. (None)
6. Check tire pressure and in case of puncture to fix the same. (None)
7. Wheel alignment and balancing. (Done)
8. repairing plastering scratches in front bumper.(Next visit.)

Posting pictures of the manhole, dented metal plate the repaired and under body coat done post repair and alignment balancing.
Attached Thumbnails
Noisy Swift after going over a pothole at high speed-dscn1849.jpg  

Noisy Swift after going over a pothole at high speed-dscn1850.jpg  

Noisy Swift after going over a pothole at high speed-dscn1864.jpg  

Noisy Swift after going over a pothole at high speed-dscn1837.jpg  

Noisy Swift after going over a pothole at high speed-dscn1855.jpg  

Last edited by sriramr9 : 31st May 2014 at 22:23.
Old 31st May 2014, 23:03   #28
BANNED

Congrats and good to see the car back in action.

Quote:
3. (None, the metal guard took the abrasion and beating)
I advice you to get a NEW metal guard as the damage once done to these crucial parts will loose out their integrity/structural strength and MAY NOT work as required in an event if such incident happens.

Quote:
4. Suspension check (any specifics here?)
None other than lower arms.

Quote:
6. Check tire pressure and in case of puncture to fix the same. (None)
Check the wheel and tyre for roundness and any bulges on the tyres due to impact.

Anurag.
Old 1st June 2014, 00:15   #29
BHPian

Sure anurag, I got the wheel alignment and balancing done I will post the pics on those. Only the toe was beyond tolerance and the same was duly corrected and weights added

Now the car is 2.5 years old and we did check the metal protector plate strength. It sounded taut and strong. Being made of cast iron I understand it should some more years of service life.. Correct me if I am wrong
Old 5th June 2014, 14:30   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Being made of cast iron I understand it should some more years of service life.. Correct me if I am wrong
No. Cast iron is by nature brittle - not malleable. Now that the dent is pushed out, if you were to put the part to more stress it will fracture. Had it been made of steel , that would have been different.
joybhowmik is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed