Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2010, 09:30   #16
BHPian

Hi rana, city zx dont have clucth cables, its hydraulic one. My clutch was tight and when I checked the clutch oil level, it was way beyond the maximum level (it will increse the system pressure), so I drained a little using a syringe. So you just check the oil level, under the hood (right side) and see if this is the issue.
b_ambat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2010, 18:17   #17

I am thankful for all your notes. Dear SS-Traveller, I took the car to a different Honda dealer in my city. He performed the same procedure you had recommended and declared that the clutch was in good condition. He did bleed the clutch. But the improvement is marginal. It is still hard. He also mentioned that if I am still finding the clutch hard, I can replace it. Luckily he quoted Rs. 9500. I assume there are other non-serviceable parts of the clutch assembly that get harder (bush, spring etc.) and can only be remedied by replacement. Your comments are welcome.

NHC also requires the person to press the clutch pedal fully to the floor before changing gears. In a thick city traffic (Bangalore), the combination of hard clutch and need to press hard (for close to an hour) causes discomfort.
Old 7th March 2010, 10:50   #18
BANNED

hi b_ambat,

thanks for your tip.

1. can i do this on my own or do i need to take it to a mechanic ?

2. if the clutch oil level is way above maximum how do i reduce it using a syringe ?? Could you guide me at to what steps i have to follow..??

thanks.
Old 7th March 2010, 11:27   #19
BHPian

Hi rana, it is pretty simpe and you can do it yourself. Get a clean syringe without needle and suck oil out of the container until the level coincides with maximum marking. Just removing a fraction of oil will help, but you could understand the difference. If you need a pictorial explantion please do let me know. Always remember to close the container properly.
Old 7th March 2010, 14:05   #20
BANNED

hi b_ambat,

i opened my car's hood and on the right side i saw two containers with fluids. But couldn't be sure which one is for the clutch oil...???

1. one is a big container with a black lid with a flex type opening motion.

2. second is a small container with a rotating type opener.

Could you tell me which one is the clutch oil container amongst the two.??

thanks pal.
Old 7th March 2010, 14:17   #21
BHPian

The small container with the rotating type opener, check the oil level first and keep it a little below maximum mark.
Old 8th March 2010, 15:35   #22
BHPian

The Autocar India magazine quoted Clutch and Pressure Plate for Honda City as Rs. 5136 and Clutch calble is Rs. 900.
This was written in their spare parts comparison guide.

Regards,
Vignesh G
vigneshg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2010, 14:03   #23
BANNED

hi b_ambat,

i did the procedure. But no improvement in Clutch Pressure. My Clutch is still very Hard.

What do you think i should do now ?

Hi vignesh,

Thanks for providing the info. Are you sure the honda city has a clutch cable..?? SS traveler said it was a hydraulic clutch. i dont know what's happening here. I'm confused
Old 12th March 2010, 21:49   #24
BHPian

Hi Rana, I think its better to check with a mechanic as your problem still persist. City ZX don't have any clutch cables, it's hydraulic for sure.
Old 16th March 2010, 14:51   #25
BANNED

Hi can anyone recommend me a good Mechanic/Workshop for Honda city zx in South Mumbai area ??

Thanks

Last edited by rana_kirti : 16th March 2010 at 14:52.
Old 17th March 2010, 05:13   #26
BHPian

kirti call up rishi he knows a good mechanic in south mumbai check it out with him my dads NHC clutch went kaput when he clocked 120,000kms and i just changed it for 8500/= from my local mechanic but he is in borivali.
i replaced everthing including bearings, flywheel, master cylinder and all that with genuine honda spares.
and honda clutches dont give away so early.

Last edited by mdesai_1981 : 17th March 2010 at 05:18.
Old 17th March 2010, 23:30   #27
BANNED

bro spoke to him... but told me not to go to him... i'm still trying to find a good mechanic in south bombay area...
Old 18th March 2010, 07:52   #28
BHPian

in that case why dont you try apex honda at worli. they are relatively genuine people. check them. act dumb and tell them to check your car. lets see what they say about it.

Last edited by mdesai_1981 : 18th March 2010 at 07:54.
Old 1st May 2010, 07:11   #29

I did a second round of check on the clutch prices. Dakshin Honda quoted 19K, Whitefield 8.5K and Magnum 9K. When I confronted Dakshin over their high price, the engineer mentioned that it includes the cost of replacing the flywheel. When I questioned him why the flywheel should be changed at 35K-40K kms, he replied that he would replace if necessary. The questions I have are: (a) what is the typical life of NHC flywheel? (b) is it necessary to replace the flywheel along with the clutch? I had owned Maruti cars for 8-10 years and more than 80000 kms. Never heard of flywheel replacement. Your feedback will be helpful. Thanks.
Old 18th September 2013, 10:43   #30
BHPian

Re: Honda City ZX clutch

Here is a recent update on clutch unit replacement for my Honda City ZX (2006)
I finished 70K on this car, and had to replace the entire clutch unit (flywheel,etc). This was done at Dakshin Honda (Bangalore) and they charged me INR 25K.

Actually I did not find any major issues with my clutch/gear except that the clutch pedal had become very hard and my 2 previous service reports had observations and remarks by these service guys.

Though it was expensive, I did not find an alternative (rather did not want to take a risk by giving my car to a private garage) than to get this done at Honda authorised dealer

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks