Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2009, 23:39   #1

Honda City ZX clutch

Hi, I drive a Honda City ZX Gxi 2008 model. It has done around 30,000 km. After the last service when I found the clutch to be tighter, the Honda service person (Bangalore) said that the clutch could have worn out and may require replacement. He mentioned the price to be Rs. 19,000. It beats me since 30,000 km appeared early for clutch replacement. The price of Rs. 19,000 is shocking. Is this symptom (clutch being tight) a symptom for replacement? Is that the right price? Is there a risk in running this car without replacing the clutch? Please note that I don't feel any loss of power. Thanks.
girisanthan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2009, 19:21   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

It's a SCAM (I intend to create a thread soon). It seems that immaturely changing clutch plates is a highly profitable job for the authorised service centers. Linkway Honda wanted to change my OHC clutch at 40,000 odd kms (now at 70,000+ on the original) and Tata wanted to fit a new one on my Indigo at 25,000. As long as your clutch is not slipping (engine revvs going higher, and disproportionate to the cars speed), you don't need a new clutch.

With regards to the stiffness, get a new clutch cable. Or grease the current one. Check the spring action too.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2009, 23:39   #3
BHPian

i can only comment one thing honda clutches are really good i have used a NHC with no clutch job done till 100000kms no jokes and it was going on smooth dont worry it must be like what GTO must be saying
Old 24th November 2009, 01:58   #4
Senior - BHPian

Unless you really abuse your clutch it's not going to wear out at 30K. Mine isn't. I'm sure you're not doing burn-outs and stuff.
Old 24th November 2009, 02:08   #5
Senior - BHPian

When i replaced the clutch on my OHC at 71K kms, the service guy asked me why i was changing it as it still had enough life to go for another 30,000 odd kms.

So clutch wearing out at 30K kms is just impossible if you're been driving properly.

Shan2nu
Old 24th November 2009, 02:25   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Get an alternate opinion from some other reputed workshop, Service advisers are normal salesmen in different clothes afterall, 19k bucks is on the steeper side compared to 12-15k charged by Hyundai for Verna and Elantra.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2009, 08:47   #7
BHPian

Hi,
I too have a City Zxi which has done 43000 kms. THe clutch is absolutely OK. One interesting thing though one of my colleagues owns a Civic. He had a clutch problem early on but then his style of driving had worn out the clutch plate and he had to shell out about 16-17k. I drove his car before the repair job and though nothing seemed amiss there was a strange smell of something getting really hot. Well he asked the Honda technician to show him a new clutch plate and his current one for sake of comparision and he did find that due to his constantly putting his foot on the clutch he had worn it off quite a bit.
In my case though I suffered initially due to the brakes. I mean almost every 9k kms for 3 consecutive servicings the brakes would wear and I don't know why. So I escalated to Honda in Gurgaon. They send their inputs to the local chief engineer here in Pune who personally kept a log and measured the brake pad thickness. Now the wear seems to be OK. Well, although brake pad replacement cost me about 5k it was not as expensive as yours.
Perhaps you could ask for a visual check and be present at that time to convince yourself if it is really worth.

Last edited by ambivalent_98 : 24th November 2009 at 08:49.
Old 24th November 2009, 09:02   #8
BHPian

My NHC has done 48K and the clutch is working absolutely fine even after driving in MP which has some of the worst roads in the country. Just a tad hard but nothing more.
And as for 19000 Rs for clutch job he is taking you for a ride. I had enquired about clutch job couple of months back and it was costing Rs. 7500 for everything.
Old 24th November 2009, 10:19   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And as for 19000 Rs for clutch job he is taking you for a ride. I had enquired about clutch job couple of months back and it was costing Rs. 7500 for everything.
Yup, even i got an estimate of around 6,800 (including taxes and labour).

Shan2nu
Old 24th November 2009, 16:56   #10
bhp
BHPian

even i got an estimate for around 10-11k and around 19k with flywheel for a nhc vtec from linkway honda mumbai...
Old 24th November 2009, 19:19   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

The prices i have quoted for Hyundai cars include Clutch+flywheel+pressure plate+labour.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2009, 19:34   #12
Senior - BHPian

I assume that in all instances where the asc has suggested replacement it would be from the customers pocket and not covered by warranty - clutches are mostly not covered ?
Old 24th November 2009, 19:55   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girisanthan View Post
I found the clutch to be tighter
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
With regards to the stiffness, get a new clutch cable. Or grease the current one. Check the spring action too.
The City ZX has a hydraulic clutch. Check clutch fluid level, top up and bleed as required. The stiffness will disappear.

To check if your clutch is slipping, jam the handbrake, put the car into 3rd gear, rev up to 3000 rpm, and introduce the clutch gently. If the revs don't slow down as you try to maintain them by further depressing the accelerator (i.e. the revs stay up), you've got clutch slippage. Litmus test, but don't try it more than once or twice. You burn out 1000km worth of clutch life at each go.

Good luck, but check that your handbrake's fully functional first!
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2010, 22:32   #14
BANNED

hi girisanthan,

i'm driving a a honda city zx in mumbai and since last few months i find it very hard to press the clutch when i'm changing gears.

when i went to service my car this time the honda guy told me that i will have to replace the clutch which i refused because i wasnt sure about it.

He said he will try to make it softer but when i collected my car it was still hard.

Now it is such a pain to drive in heavy traffic and i just dont feel like taking my car out during traffic. I want to get it fixed but i dont know if i should replace the clutch or..??

Could you tell me what suggestion did you try which were given frm gto & sstraveller and has it made your clutch any softer ??

Thanks
rana_kirti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2010, 05:55   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

IMHO Clutch becoming hard to press due to clutch being worn out do not jell together. Hard pressing could be due to mechanical friction and can be sorted out with service of clutch cable/clutch arm/release bearing etc. Worn out clutch manifests more by slippage and higher than usual revs.

Most Viewed