Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2009, 06:48   #1
BHPian

Wagon R left wheel stuck, not moving in any gear

Friends, I have a problem with my Wagon R.

The left rear wheel doesnt move at all. When I move the car forward or reverse, the wheel stays stuck and tyre rubber marks are left on my parking floor.

I tried to push the car in neutral, same result. I removed the tyre and tried to check if anything was blocking movement, nothing was there.

The car hasnt done even 1K after the service. The ODO on the car is 36K kms.

What could be the issue????? helppp
Old 23rd November 2009, 06:52   #2
BHPian

Your left rear drum brakes seems to have jammed.Ask any nearby mechanic ,or since yours is new maruti a.s.s to come along with a drum brake puller and ask him to remove the brake drum and check the brake liners.The brakes do get jammed when you drive through water and put on the handbrake upon reaching home.
Old 23rd November 2009, 07:18   #3
BHPian

Thanks D.V.R for the tip. I will be calling the A.S.S guys today, just wanted to know what could be the cause so that the mechanics wont take me for a ride . I hope it doesnt get too expensive to fix the problem.

Mine is not a new car, its done 36K Kms. And yes it could be the water, I was riding in the rains over last 2-3 weeks in Chennai.
Old 23rd November 2009, 07:54   #4
BHPian

With the brake drums geting jammed it results in two situations,One in which the brake liners are just jammed and can be released and work normally,on the other hand the brake liners can be broken requiring you to replace them.Being a Maruti it wont be pretty expensive max around 1000-1500 Rs for a pair

Also at the same time make sure even the right drum is checked.Replace the right brake also regardless broken or not, if it is required to replace the left brake.After driving in rain especially while wading with the water upto the wheel,dont apply the park brake just engage the gear.You could also consider asking the mechanic to reduce the braking force on the rear drums.
Old 23rd November 2009, 20:49   #5
BHPian

Brakes jamming

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.V.R View Post
You could also consider asking the mechanic to reduce the braking force on the rear drums.
This may not work. In most of the new generation vehicles, when you brake in reverse, the brakes adjust themselves. In my Maruthi 800, after driving in rain or after washing the car and leaving it for a couple of days, the rear brakes start producing a noise but never jammed. So I pull the hand brake a couple of times ( not with too much force )and the noise goes away.

But with my Opel Corsa Sport its different. In the same situation The rear brakes used to get jammed. Rock the car in forward and reverse a couple of times and the brakes get released. So when I park the car in the garage , I put the car in 1sr gear and won't use the hand brake.

Last edited by sudharma : 23rd November 2009 at 20:54. Reason: Addition of info.
Old 23rd November 2009, 23:21   #6
BHPian

The mechanic said my hand brake has jammed possibly because I applied the hand brakes while parking in my apartment after some rides in the rains. He just banged hard a few times on the wheel and pushed the bike forward and reverse and the wheel got free. Is this the right procedure?? Anyways car is working fine as of now. Thanks for your inputs DVR & Sudharma

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks