Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2009, 11:07   #31
BHPian

My Ikon has done 71500+km with the OEM clutch and sill going strong. I always thought the quality of parts like clutch is going down when I saw so many people talking about clutch replacement. I think there are other scam items like brake pads, discs, wiper blades.

Last edited by mkc15 : 26th November 2009 at 11:09.
Old 26th November 2009, 13:23   #32
BHPian

@GTO, this is a good heads up.

A friend of mine had faced a similar thing just a couple of weeks ago at a maruti service center in Thane (Not the authorised MASS).
He had given the car for first service and was told to replace the clutch. Unfortunately he hadn't told me about this and went ahead with the replacement.

when he called me later, I told him that a clutch replacement wasn't needed (I'd driven his Wagon-R just a few days earlier and found things fine).
Old 26th November 2009, 14:24   #33
BHPian

They changed my Baleno's Clutch at 3,000 KM. Hmm, Clutch had some issue and one day it was not starting up.
Old 26th November 2009, 15:45   #34
Senior - BHPian

My Baleno's clutch seems to have started slipping after around 35k kms. (It was changed once at 22-23k kms post water logging.)

I had mentioned it twice to my Maruti SA, and he keeps saying it's still good to run and refuses to change it. The SA said, 'Saar, if you keep doing 100kmph in 2nd, then ....'

I must say there seems to be no issue during normal driving - I don't ride the clutch, though I do use engine braking quite regularly. It's only slipped a couple of times when I suddenly floored it in 2nd/3rd

I just might change it.
Old 26th November 2009, 15:57   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akas_chauhan View Post
They changed my Baleno's Clutch at 3,000 KM. Hmm, Clutch had some issue and one day it was not starting up.
Ok, 3K Kms has to be a record. Was it replaced under warranty or did you pony up the cash?
Old 26th November 2009, 16:12   #36
lsp
BHPian

Favorite with used cars dealers buying your car

Thanks GTO for the informative thread.

I've noticed that the Used car dealers also use this line very often. They will take your car for a spin and while driving mention a lot of things about the car that need to be fixed or changed, one of them being clutch. So if the mechanic/service advisor/yourself dont feel the need for a clutch overhaul/change, dont just give in to the words of the dealers. They will point out a lot of flaws in your car when they are buying.
Old 26th November 2009, 18:29   #37
Senior - BHPian

Oh Gosh...we paid for a clutch overhaul just 2 months back for our 18,000 KM run Swift. But my dad's driving style may have atrributed atleast 20% i think
Old 26th November 2009, 19:34   #38
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Not only is it profitable. But at 17K you wonder if they even replaced it at all. They could have just lubed the cable.

Even if they did, they probably take your old clutch and put it in another person's car charging him full price.
That's plain nasty. Albeit certainly a reality at some service stations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
I do not know if BHPians get conned so easily. However I am pretty sure for others the story is pretty true.
Unfortunately, it is Zappo! I've heard of so many cars in my circle that have had their clutch' overhauled, when the car was running perfectly fine. If only they'd have asked. Problem is blind trust in the authorised service stations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
"Ye to Kharab Hai"(its damaged).
Actually damaging the clutch further,that had me replace the whole clutch.
Sacrilege! I do hope you have lodged a fitting complaint with Hyundai India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
As a rule, I insist on staying with my car during service. If the SA objects, I tell him politely, "I am willing to sign a waiver if you need. I have paid my hard earned money to buy this car and I feel I am entitled to stay and watch what you are doing to it".
If they allow you, well and good. Though, to be honest, their insurance policy prohibits customers from walking around in the service area. Too high a liability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Although all cars owned by me have never had clutch replacement done even at 100,000+ km
You (and others from your family) must be really good drivers!

Quote:
One of my experiences with an A$$ trying to replace a clutch unjustifiedly is described below...
Plain ripoff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akas_chauhan View Post
As someone else commented, that's a new record! I hope you weren't charged for it and the same was an FOC replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsp View Post
I've noticed that the Used car dealers also use this line very often.
Never thought of that, but now that you bring it up, I can totally place a used car dealer using the clutch line on your car. And bring the purchase price down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
Oh Gosh...we paid for a clutch overhaul just 2 months back for our 18,000 KM run Swift. But my dad's driving style may have atrributed atleast 20% i think
The Swift is / was known to have a weak clutch. Chances are, your replacement was genuine. Related thread
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2009, 19:59   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

I agree with you GTO. but its not common only with clutch jobs, even customers are taken for a ride for most engine and suspension jobs.

My advise to anyone going forward with any expensive job after being advised by a service advisor is to take a alternative advice from some other trusted place.
Old 26th November 2009, 20:30   #40
BHPian

Well, I almost fell for it last week. Had taken my car for service to Suraksha and the SA started of saying that since its a 20k service, I would need to change gear oil, coolant and few more things.
I was about to say ok, but then my tubelight brain started working and told him that since these things need to be changed at 20k kms and I have done just 15k, I shall get them changed at the next service.

Thank god!

Regards,
Old 26th November 2009, 20:59   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Every maintainance task that is km bound is listed in your owner's manual, please take out some time before every service to be clear abour what all you want to be done.

Decarbonising, additives, anti rust coats and wiring lamination are money making tricks from most service centers, i would advise you to stay away from them at every service. Though some of them may be required at some time, regarding this please consult someone more experienced or maybe post a query on the forum.

All the cars have a noise making pins installed on the brake pads to warn when brake pads are worn out, the irritating noise emitted when pads are worn out is not the pads but a warning system. So i either wait for the sound or personally check the pads whenever i am being advised for a brake pads change from any service advisor.
Old 27th November 2009, 01:43   #42
BHPian

Ok what can be done for my 32k driven innova having a hard clutch !!! my trusted mechanic say s in hydraulic clutch there ain t any cable what do i grease ?? Will clucth bleeding help ?? How is it done can someone enlighten me !!
Regards
SaaJan
Old 27th November 2009, 02:41   #43
BHPian

I agree with GTO in all respect. It's a common practice that is followed, easily fooling customers who often complain ki gaadi theek se nahi chal rahi (the car is not running well) and are told that the clutch is weak etc etc.

In most cases, a clutch cable replacement takes care of hardening and other problems.

P.S. - My OE clutch on the OHC is running strong at nearly 130k kms.
Old 27th November 2009, 09:35   #44
BHPian

Burning Smell in SX4 : 1700 ODO

Guys

Need a help for my friend. He bought a SX4 3 months back. Hes a new rider for manual driving. He is used to automatics in US. He run the beauty for about 1700 Km till date.

Recently, believe its last week, in bangalore peak to peak traffic, he smelt a burning smell coming from the engine bay. Since it was peak traffic, he was on half clutch. Surprisingly, the smell disappeared after 2-3 mins. He was freaked out.

He took the vehicle to the serivce center BIMAL and just by the description, they said "Sir, you must be riding on half clutch. Appears your clutch is gone, need replacement ". Answer was not convingcing to my friend. He asked me for inputs.

Yesterday again, he faced the same issue. Luckily, when he called me, I was nearby itself, so was able to reach him. When the car approached me, I could easily smell the "burning wire smell" without going near the car itself. The vehicle was parked. First thing I checked out if theres any leakage. None found. Opened the bonnet, and he also I could smell the burning wire smell from the bay. Since it was night, I couldn't locate anything amiss.

I did a test drive of the same. I did find the clutch a bit hard [ it was butter smooth when it was bought and when I did a test drive ], and gear box was a bit notchy. Clutch believe it slips suddenly when engaged gradually. Thats what I could conclude when I had a small test ride last night.

My friend did admit that he rides half clucth in stop-go-stop traffic.

Now the thing is BIMAL guys are quoting INR 5000 for clutch replacement, even without checking it fully.

I need your inputs as to what could be the reason for the burning smell noticed.

Do we need to check anything on the same ? And do we have any reliable MASS in BLR who can give authentic information on the same.

I did advise my friend to visit Suraksha this weekend.

Eagerly waiting for your inputs

PS: GTO, Sorry to hijack your thread, but couldnt help it.
Old 27th November 2009, 09:48   #45
Team-BHP Support

My Alto's clutch was replaced under warranty at 3000kms. I had complained of the car jerking with the AC and as trial and error method they replaced the clutch. It did not solve the jerking.

After that at 17,000kms I got clutch shudder for first few minutes in the morning i.e. cold start. Again Maruti offered to replace my clutch under warranty but after inspection they found that clutch was fine but shudder was due to some other reason.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks