Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2009, 20:41   #1
BHPian

Need advice: T.A.S.S. service manager has advised changing gearbox of my Indigo CS

Hi friends,

My Indigo CS is just about 8 months' old and it has been running very well. I have never had anything to complain about and today I took it for the 20,000 kms free service. The service manager took a trial of the car and noticed a noise (rattle (?) or more like a single "tck") emerging on rotating the wheel at low speeds and small gears. I confirmed that it had been like that for while but I had no problems with the vehicle and absolutely loved it. I suggested that it may be from the tie-rod and pat came the reply that we shall see.

I stayed at the service center to see what they would do next. They lifted the car and tried dis-engaging the tie-rod and tightening the bolts etc. The service manager went for another ride in the car and came back saying the problem still persists. He then called some guy and described the issue and half an hour later told me that he has filed a warranty replacement claim. I said hold on, I have no serious issue at all with the car but he insisted that we have to eliminate that noise. So, that is the current status and some time this week he says that a senior guy will inspect the car and if he diagnoses the same noise as coming because of a faulty gearbox, it will be replaced.

Now, I seriously need advice here. Should I agree for these guys to rip apart my factory fitted gearbox and put a new one instead? I mean is this recommended or do the experts here think that something else may rectify the issue without opening up the gearbox assembly? Please help me, friends. I've never had anything to complain about with this car and now the doctor is recommending a major surgery

Last edited by Akadian : 29th November 2009 at 20:48. Reason: spelling mistakes
Old 29th November 2009, 21:17   #2
Senior - BHPian

try mailing customer support. you know where to find the adresses.

It is strange that a TASC takes the lead to replace something with so much passion

Last edited by greenhorn : 29th November 2009 at 21:24.
Old 29th November 2009, 21:21   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akadian View Post
Hi friends,

My Indigo CS is just about 8 months' old and it has been running very well. I have never had anything to complain about and today I took it for the 20,000 kms free service. The service manager took a trial of the car and noticed a noise (rattle (?) or more like a single "tck") emerging on rotating the wheel at low speeds and small gears. I confirmed that it had been like that for while but I had no problems with the vehicle and absolutely loved it. I suggested that it may be from the tie-rod and pat came the reply that we shall see.
My ten cents are on the synchros.Is there a screeching sound when you rev the car in neutral?

Last edited by Dippy : 30th November 2009 at 09:23. Reason: Avoid quoting a long post when replying to a thread. Makes it difficult to read for other members.
Old 29th November 2009, 21:22   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
try mailing customer support. you know where to find the adresses.

It is strange that a TASC takes the lead to replace something with so much passion
Hi ,

I don't know where to find the addresses but I guess they should be there on the Tata Motors website. The zeal with which this guy is trying to take up my cause is causing me serious anxiety as well just as you noticed too
Old 29th November 2009, 21:26   #5
Senior - BHPian

updated the url in the first post.I wonder if someone he knows has a busted gearbox, and this is his way of getting one for free
Old 29th November 2009, 21:29   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
updated the url in the first post.I wonder if someone he knows has a busted gearbox, and this is his way of getting one for free
That is a scary thought, indeed. Just because he wants to oblige someone else, he is going to fiddle with my car. Thanks a lot for the url

Last edited by Akadian : 29th November 2009 at 21:30. Reason: To add a note of gratitude
Old 29th November 2009, 21:43   #7
Senior - BHPian

i would seriously suggest you take the car to another TASS for a second opinion and then to an independent garage

Last edited by manikjeet : 29th November 2009 at 21:44.
Old 29th November 2009, 21:48   #8
Senior - BHPian

[quote=rakesh_r;1606876]i suggest you show it some other authorized tata service centre.
Old 29th November 2009, 22:04   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That is a scary thought, indeed. Just because he wants to oblige someone else, he is going to fiddle with my car. Thanks a lot for the url
Thats a very remote possibility.

Any change in the car is recorded in TML's systems. If replaced parts brakes in neat future, that would put this TASS in trouble.

More plausible reason is getting labor charges from TML. Since its under warranty, TML would give parts for free and would have to take labor on its books.

In any case, it would not impact you car, you are getting a part replaced for free.
Old 29th November 2009, 22:26   #10
Senior - BHPian

Hi
It is quiet common that there will be noise in Tata Cars.If they can replace the part on warranty No harm of doing and should be done by the right persons.Concorde is not bad for that job.
Old 29th November 2009, 23:15   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
My ten cents are on the synchros.Is there a screeching sound when you rev the car in neutral?
Thanks Rakesh for the diagnosis. I shall check for this tomorrow and get back to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manikjeet View Post
i would seriously suggest you take the car to another TASS for a second opinion and then to an independent garage
Thanks Manik. I'll try that for sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post

More plausible reason is getting labor charges from TML. Since its under warranty, TML would give parts for free and would have to take labor on its books. In any case, it would not impact you car, you are getting a part replaced for free.
Hi Netfreak,

Thanks for the reassuring tone, man. My worry is that would they be able to put everything in place like it was done at the factory. I mean if they open up the entire thing and then put a new one instead, there could always be a chance of some human error. I hope what I'm saying makes sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by navan49 View Post
Hi
It is quiet common that there will be noise in Tata Cars.If they can replace the part on warranty No harm of doing and should be done by the right persons.Concorde is not bad for that job.
Hi Navan,

Thanks for the advice but I've never had any major issue here
Old 29th November 2009, 23:24   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My worry is that would they be able to put everything in place like it was done at the factory.
That is a genuine concern.

I think since its a replacement, they should be able to do it properly.

Issue comes up when they have to open up either gearbox or engine for repair.
Old 30th November 2009, 00:06   #13
BHPian

Quote:
My worry is that would they be able to put everything in place like it was done at the factory.
A lot of times tata gets it wrong at the factory and the service guys have to set it in order - they're used to setting things "right" which the factory screwed up in the first place !
Old 30th November 2009, 08:10   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techn0l0gist View Post
A lot of times tata gets it wrong at the factory and the service guys have to set it in order - they're used to setting things "right" which the factory screwed up in the first place !
I dont know. I'd trust the factory more than the TASC.

I once had some front accident repair, after which the RH headlight was aimed lower than the LH. the TASC said that this should be the way the lights should be aimed, so that the light does not offend drivers of cars coming the other way. But it hadn't been that way when I got the car, till date, but the TASC said that this was the way it was supposed to be , and that they had fixed it. Then I told them that the lights line up straight in a friend's car, and they said his car needed to be fixed too. Then I stopped a random indica at the TASC, and asked them to aim the headlights at the wall, and sure enough, the beams were in a straight line. I asked them if every indica was like that from the factory.

Finally they gave up and aligned it right
Old 30th November 2009, 08:57   #15
BANNED

I would say try and alternate TASS, and then claim under warranty.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks