Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2009, 13:07   #1
Senior - BHPian

Old Zen - Petrol leaking. Urgent guidance required. EDIT: Possible Engine Seizure ?

My 10 year old Zen has sprung a fuel leak. The leak is in the line leading to the engine close to the front left tire.

Although the fuel isn't gushing out, quite an appreciable amount is leaking.

The last time I drove it, I could hear a wheezing sound. It used to increase when I increased the revs.

The distance I drove was short then and having an exam the next day and it being night, I decided to wait on it.

In any case, what should be done right now?

Would it be safe to take it to a mechanic. Or should I get one to look at it? In the meanwhile as a safety measure, would sanding the ground under the car help?
Old 4th December 2009, 13:11   #2
Senior - BHPian

Try to plug it with m-seal if you can locate it. I think the older zens had mechanical fuel pump, so if you keep the revs down, you could drive it to the mechanic.
Old 4th December 2009, 13:15   #3
Senior - BHPian

I have tried to locate it, but the space isn't enough for me to pop my head in. Plus the whole area's wet and the flow isn't enough to locate the drip point.

The only way to detect it would be to switch it on and then check out the leak.

I would click a picture but cellphones and petrol don't really agree do they?
Old 4th December 2009, 13:23   #4
J.Ravi

EssYouWe: Take your Zen to MASS immediately. Do not try to take snaps on a cellphone.

Old 4th December 2009, 13:33   #5
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

USE Either Chewing GUm OR a bit of Soap to plug the leaky spot immediately
Then take it immediately to the Service Station and get the Fuel lead changed.

This happened years ago on my old Gypsy when the Fuel Tank itself sprung a leak because some loose stone hit it.

I stopped it very effectively using a combination of Soap and Chewing Gum till I could reach the Garage and get it repaired.

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
My 10 year old Zen has sprung a fuel leak. The leak is in the line leading to the engine close to the front left tire.

Although the fuel isn't gushing out, quite an appreciable amount is leaking.

The last time I drove it, I could hear a wheezing sound. It used to increase when I increased the revs.

The distance I drove was short then and having an exam the next day and it being night, I decided to wait on it.

In any case, what should be done right now?

Would it be safe to take it to a mechanic. Or should I get one to look at it? In the meanwhile as a safety measure, would sanding the ground under the car help?
Old 4th December 2009, 13:35   #6
Senior - BHPian

How much does a line cost?

Leaving for the mechanic. Might not be able to make it to a MASS so taking it to a local mechanic.
Old 4th December 2009, 13:37   #7
Senior - BHPian

As you cannot reach the leak and plug it.

Call maruti helpline and ask them to come over, its not advisable to attempt starting a petrol vehicle with leakage near the engine.
Old 4th December 2009, 13:38   #8
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

not sure what the fault is so difficult to estimate
if it is only the fuel lead it should not be too expensive

but to keep fuel IN rather than out, I suggest you plug it with soap and then take the car out
cheers

Quote:
How much does a line cost?

Leaving for the mechanic. Might not be able to make it to a MASS so taking it to a local mechanic.
Old 4th December 2009, 21:06   #9
Senior - BHPian

Just got back from the mechanic.

Still covered in grime and grease. One of the pipes running from the tank to the engine had rotted. Had a load of difficulty in procuring the right one.

Realised that the tank is also oozing petrol. Got a new one for 1860/-. The electromagnet in the fuel gauge had a few broken wires. Got a new one for 220/-.
The pipe was for 70/-. Labour charges 250/-.

Now, according to them the oil stainer had jammed and the engine wasn't getting the oil. Now this was surprising as I got my car serviced by Rana motors 11 months back.

So, I decided that I would get a second opinion and then go in for it in the coming week. They told me to not drive much as the engine might seize.

Now, the cherry on the top of the cake that was my day spent at the garage was that the engine seized halfway to home.

I thought that the battery had conked off, called a friend and got a mechanic to jump start the car. Wise *** that he was... ended up locking the keys inside the car. Got a long ruler... opened it finally. He proclaimed that it was indeed the engine that had seized.

Revved it upto my home and pushed it into the parking.

What do you guys think? Is there any other possibility for this? Does an engine flush have to cost 10k+?
Old 4th December 2009, 21:21   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now, according to them the oil stainer had jammed and the engine wasn't getting the oil. Now this was surprising as I got my car serviced by Rana motors 11 months back.

What do you guys think? Is there any other possibility for this? Does an engine flush have to cost 10k+?
Well a service would not have covered opening up the engine sump but yes a proper flush in time could have avoided this situation.

A 10 year old car is bound to have problems with the rubber parts and others, might as well get a full look over when you rebuild the engine now.
Old 4th December 2009, 21:56   #11
Senior - BHPian

I was under the impression that they did flush the engine.

Flushing Engine is charged at 475(+12.5%) + 200 (12%).

Would it have jammed in 11 months? I am an extremely sedate driver and very particular about driving in a technically correct manner.
Old 6th December 2009, 08:56   #12
Senior - BHPian

Okay, I need some serious guidance as to what is happening here. The car isn't starting easily at all. In fact it is very difficult to keep it running once it starts up.

The mechanic suspects an engine seizure. But, I always keep an eye on the engine temperature gauge and it always measures slightly less than half.

The problem to which the seizure has been attributed is oil not reaching the engine block. Now in this case, it is only reasonable to assume that the engine wold overheat.

How much would it cost in repairs? Should I go to a blood sucking MASS or get it done at the local garage?
Old 6th December 2009, 09:38   #13
Senior - BHPian

You have mentioned that its very difficult to start the engine. And even if you start you are not able to run the engine for long. So its possible that engine is not running for enough time to lead to overheating. The motor has to run for reasonable amount of time before it reaches overheating temperature. Moreover, its winter so, running an engine for very little amount of time with less oil supply is not going to give high temperature.

Call Maruti and give your car to MASS.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks