Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2009, 16:15   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho
Answer: You had excessive oil that led to failed piston rings, that caused a blowby and got the oil to spill all over.
Yes, this also leads to white smoke.
Old 7th December 2009, 18:36   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Maybe the oil splash is due to overfilling of oil in the engine.The ideal quantity is around 3 litres.How much oil was poured in at the time of service?
when i gave it to a local mechanic for oil change, he said he drained the entire old oil and put in 3 litres of Castrol GTX 20w50. in fact i purchased the bottles and gave it to him, cuz thats the oil i've been using for a while now.
BUT, i'm now guessing that fool didn't flush the oild oil, just topped up with some 1litre of my new oil, and kept the rest for himself. So much for not having time to stay and watch what the mechanics do

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
The oil doesent spill out, the engine is a sealed compartment.

Same as above,

But more oil means froath creation, and this would harm all the oil seals, and one would have a leaky engine as a result. It is advisable not to put as much as the manufacturer recomends but to use the dip stick as the correct reference.

As i earlier said wash your engine bay with diesel and then run the car for ~100 Kms and check for the source of leak.

Pramod
i was thinking of doing the same, but was wary cuz didn't wanna end up seizing the engine. But my uncle did happen to take the car out somewhere, and even after about 5-6kms of driving, the car showed no major signs of oil 'splash', although it still does leak a small amount from around the dipstick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho View Post
First sign of an over heating engine
that explains its massive coolant consumtion. in fact the coolant was topped up before my uncle took it out, and after about 5kms, the coolant level was back at 'half'

Quote:

Did you clean the dipstick and then check? else it points to excessive oil in the engine...
yeah, cleaned it, put it back in, pulled it out and it gets wet till 3/4ths
Quote:
Answer: You had excessive oil that led to failed piston rings, that caused a blowby and got the oil to spill all over.

Wow..that sounds like something..

OK guys, thanks a lot for the replies. Will give the car for service sometime next week, but would it be possible to recommemd me a good maruti SVC? I usually goto Kalyan motors, K'pura road, they do a good job with 'small' things, but never come across any major engine jobs done there.

Also, at how many kms do 800s usually need engine rebuilds? i've seen a lot of them doing 1lakh+, and even my car has been performing really well despite severe torture in terms of heavy right feet, long service intervals, etc :P.
was just thinking, if the current repairs already cost a bomb, i'll ask my bro to spend some more and get a rebuild?
Old 7th December 2009, 23:55   #18
Senior - BHPian

i am not sure excess oil will cause ring failure except for white smoke.

1. Is your car overheating. Even if the coolant is loosing is the temp crossing the half mark.??

2. park the car on a possibly cemented surface overnight. and find the leakage of oil.

3. Did you change the filter while changing oil?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks