Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2009, 14:26   #16
Senior - BHPian

I am surprised that even Fiat engineers are unable to diagnose the cause of abnormal treadwear!
If they are unable the fix the issue, they should have replaced Sachin's defective car with a new one.

Pawan, can you ask Sachin to join this forum, so that we can get more details from him.

Last edited by finneyp : 9th December 2009 at 14:35.
Old 9th December 2009, 14:30   #17
BHPian

I sent him the this post's link to Sachin, I will ask him to join this forum and reply back the queries.
Old 9th December 2009, 14:32   #18
Senior - BHPian

I've been following this thread on other forums. Fiat should replace the defective vehicle.

Even after so many visits to the factory and the traumatic experience of the owner if the problem does not get rectified, Fiat should replace the vehicle accepting fault with the vehicle.
Old 9th December 2009, 14:36   #19
BHPian

In this case Sachin must have to file a case in consumer court and ask the money of Merc S Class.
Old 9th December 2009, 14:40   #20
BHPian

Sachin,

Seriously, how pronounced is this issue ? Or is it just psychological ? I am surprised that FIAT can't handle such a minor issue. I had wheel alignment issues with my car too but they resolved it in no time. The drag is gone now. Would like to know if you are being extremely sensitive to this issue ? I am no FIAT representative but this is very interesting to hear.
Old 9th December 2009, 14:44   #21
BHPian

From the pictures, can't really tell the pattern of the wear. But if I look at the bottom last picture, second column, it looks like there is a wear from inner edge of the tyre towards the center (feather edge). If that is correct, then it seems to be a toe in issue which will also explain the car being dragged to one side and hence the pattern.

However, since I can't really tell from the pictures, if only the inner edge is worn, it could be the camber issue and the car is riding on its inner edge more than the rest of the contact surface.
Old 9th December 2009, 14:46   #22
Senior - BHPian

What work did Fiat do on the car so far? I'm sure stuff like wheel alignment, balancing, toe-in etc would have been checked.
Old 9th December 2009, 14:47   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
What work did Fiat do on the car so far? I'm sure stuff like wheel alignment, balancing, toe-in etc would have been checked.
If FIAT did indeed look at the car.
Old 9th December 2009, 14:51   #24
BANNED

As per him FIAT didn't disclosed the details of works done on his vehicle.
Old 9th December 2009, 14:52   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

I think this issue is related to some suspension problem, Did the service center tell your friend the reason for this and What was done to the car?

After all this has been done the only way left is to approach consumer court.
Old 9th December 2009, 15:01   #26
BHPian

Seems like a lemon to me

Are there any other Punto's driven to his office location? Tyre wear of that car will confirm if Sachin's car is a lemon.

As suggested by some, it is better to take it up with higher-ups in FIAT (if not done already) and ask for replacement. Go to court if they do not acknowledge the problem.

Last edited by AnonymousCoward : 9th December 2009 at 15:03.
Old 9th December 2009, 15:02   #27
BHPian

Can n't make out much from the pics, can someone post them again in vertical view.

Do all four tires have the same pattern or is it the two left ones?
Are you sure that the vehicle did visit Fiat plant or you are going by the words of the dealer?
Old 9th December 2009, 15:08   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
I think this issue is related to some suspension problem, Did the service center tell your friend the reason for this and What was done to the car?

After all this has been done the only way left is to approach consumer court.
Suspension issue will result in camber going off, whcih should have been detected by the service center and which is why I suspect they have not done a proper job. Has your friend visited any independent wheel alignment/balancing shop ?
Old 9th December 2009, 15:46   #29
BHPian

While the entire issue is unfortunate and ugly, I feel there are some good things as well like replacing tires free of cost, not denying the problem and taking it for inspections etc. Maybe, my mindset is set very low after reading harishv's issues with skoda jmathew(?) with peninsular Honda.
Old 9th December 2009, 16:35   #30
BHPian

Well these incidents really tarnish the image of a otherwise good products.

My Uncle (Govt employee) who wanted to buy a hatchback was really keen on Punto.But his office mate who owns a Punto told him to look for some other options as his Punto was giving a FE of 12 which he considered low .

Today he called me & told he had zeroed on swift VXI,reason Being a complete novice in terms of cars he dint wanted to take any chance with FIAT,Indica Vista was his other choice.

Goes to show few members like us have access to reviews/reports available to decide upon any model what about the mass junta which constitutes the 95% of the sales pie? They just rely on the advice available from the near by mechanic,or the freinds who have almost nil knowledge of cars.If they come to know this kind of one off instance,will cite it for life time scaring away potential buyers.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks