Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2009, 17:36   #1
BHPian

Help Needed on Fiat Siena 1.6 Fuel Pump

Hello Guys,
I've Fiat Siena 1.6 ELX 2002 model. Yesterday while returning from office my car refused to start. Did the usual checking of the battery, fuel and found the battery is fine, the car is cranking properly but refused to start.
The battery light and fuel/oil light refused to go which i presume would go only after the car starts.
The ECU light also went off meaning no ECU error.
Finally i called a local mechanic to check the problem he checked the fuses and finally told me that the fuel pump motor is gone and no fuel coming into the engine resulting in No start.
The mechanic advices me to call the Fiat breakdown service which will have fuel pump in spare and should be able to replace it since this is a very important component.
Now, when I called the Fortune Motors in Nerul Navi Mumbai for the breakdown service they tell me first that he may have one for 1.2 but not sure about 1.6. Next after some time he tells me that he has to tow the vehicle since he is not sure about the part no: and would have to order it from the factory. This i feel is just a means of making money for towing and service from them.
Also he quoted that the fuel pump assembly has to be changed completely and it would cost around Rs.8000. Is this True ???
Can some one guide me to genuine Fiat Spares dealer where I can get the part. What would be the cost.
Guys please help. It's really sad to see the car helplessly stranded on the road.

Thanks
MKPIyengar
Old 10th December 2009, 19:02   #2
BHPian

Okay, I had this issue once on my 1.2 and not 1.6. Did not know if it was an ECU issue, a pump issue or a motion sensor( i think the correct tech name is crankshaft sensor) issue. So to test it, the mechanic removed the fuel line and cranked the engine. The line spitted out fuel, meaning fuel pump is OK. So he then narrowed it down to the sensor.

P.S Do it with a qualified mechanic. I meant to write this just to ensure that you are certain it is the fuel pump that is the problem. The sensor if defective should cost a around 1000 or so rupees. Not sure of the fuel pump price etc.

Last edited by Seeler_Rebeiro : 10th December 2009 at 19:13.
Old 10th December 2009, 19:15   #3
Senior - BHPian

Even if the fuel pump is gone you DONT need to change the full unit. You can just replace the fuel motor which should cost you around 1500-1800 Rs. Take the advice from a competent independent garage.
Old 11th December 2009, 06:40   #4
BHPian

The probability that the fiat dealer wont have the part in stock is more than 50%. It will take weeks to get it if he does not. Try these two numbers in Kurla CST road

Amber Auto
9323938963 / 25038963

Bhartiya Auto (Second hand parts)
26508530 / 9867070419 / 9987118401

But get a local mechanic conversant with fiats to fix it.

Search the threads for palio repairs, and there are members who can point you to the right independent mechanic. Which part of Mumbai are you/the car in?
Old 11th December 2009, 10:15   #5
BHPian

Thanks Genesis,extreme torque, reberio.

The car is at MBP Mahape,Navi Mumbai near my office, The Fortune Motors guy at Nerul told me to tow the vehicle to check at their end. Also he said the entire fuel unit would be changed .. FLEECING THE CUSTOMER !!!

The mechanic who checked the car was from KoparKhairane near my office.

He checked the battery.

Next he opened the vertical metallic box like stuff behind the Battery on the RHS after bonnet is open. He told me to crank the engine 2-3 times and checked.(This i Think he checked if fuel is coming or the electricals).

Then he went below the car under the fuel tank and told me to crank the car again 2-3 times then he concluded that the fuel pump is gone.
Genesis you are right he said fuel motor. Is fuel pump/motor same or 2 independent components.

Then told me to call 24X7 helpline for FIAT and not show to any local guy as there is no guarantee for the parts.

I don't want to show it to some one who does not know FIAT and does something which creates recurring problems. Rather have it diagnosed properly and fix it.

Thanks Guys,
MKPIyengar
Old 21st December 2009, 13:20   #6
BHPian

Issue Resolved Thread Closed.

Thanks Guys for your help.

The issue was resolved and the problem was located in the COntrol signal not received from the ECU to the fuel pump, hence not starting.

I got one Mr.Sanjeev from New Panvel who has his garage and works on FIAT cars from Palio User Group in Yahoo Groups. He and his colleague Ravi came over and did detailed diagnosis and identified the issue.

Thanks to them.
Old 21st December 2009, 22:07   #7
BHPian

Hi there
You are lucky to get someone who could diagnose the problem well. As you know the suspect was fuel pump or motor. You would have towed the car to the Fortune paying a FORTUNE and then god knows how far would they have ripped you off
Getting parts from Kurla would have been same problem as after replacing the said parts the car would not have started

Panvel would be very far for me to get my Petra repaired incase of any problem but can you share the contact of Mr. Ravi with us
I am sure many Fiat Palio/Siena/Petra owners would be benefited

Most Viewed