Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2009, 01:29   #1
BHPian

Baleno: Engine cutoff at 4500 RPM

Hi Guys,
I am planning to get a used baleno. For the purpose i was searching for a car and was able to get hold of one from Maruti true value. While taking the test drive i noticed that while pushing the car to a higher rpm in the first gear it takes and suddenly cuts off the engine automatically and then goes after a pause. When i asked about this to the mechanic at the true value he told me that its designed to protect the engine. He was telling that the engine cutsoff automatically when it reaches 4500 rpm. Is it true? Or is it because of some issue.

If its so the how can we overcome this?
Old 11th December 2009, 09:08   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenxer View Post
Hi Guys,
I am planning to get a used baleno. For the purpose i was searching for a car and was able to get hold of one from Maruti true value. While taking the test drive i noticed that while pushing the car to a higher rpm in the first gear it takes and suddenly cuts off the engine automatically and then goes after a pause. When i asked about this to the mechanic at the true value he told me that its designed to protect the engine. He was telling that the engine cutsoff automatically when it reaches 4500 rpm. Is it true? Or is it because of some issue.

Never heard of this, nor experienced it in my Baleno for the last 4 years.
Old 11th December 2009, 09:11   #3
Senior - BHPian

I don't think it makes sense to automatically cut off the engine at 4500 rpm. I have not heard of any car in India which deliberately does this. Not to mention it's absolutely dangerous to have your engine cut off automatically.

Check if the engine is overheating. Else just dump the car. As the Baleno is no longer being produced, and you are going to purchase it second-hand, its ownership may prove to be full of headaches.
Old 11th December 2009, 09:12   #4
BHPian

In our baleno, engine cut of happens only at the redline(above 6500 rpm) and not 4500 rpm.
Old 11th December 2009, 09:17   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

The mechanic was trying to make a sale of a car with some issue. There is not such thing.
Now coming to the issue, ws this happening in every gear? did it happen when the car was revved to same rpm when parked? There may be issue with any of the sensors of the actual fuel delivery.
Old 11th December 2009, 09:25   #6
BHPian

Baleno engine does cut off,but not at 4500rpm.the cutoff takes place around 7000 rpm mark.
please do check /get it inspected from outsider,before buying this car.
Old 11th December 2009, 09:37   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by princemanatt View Post
In our baleno, engine cut of happens only at the redline(above 6500 rpm) and not 4500 rpm.
Why does the Engine Cut-Off? RPM Redline is only a warning. Never heard of engine cutting off at any redline value.

May be something else is wrong with the vehicle.
Old 11th December 2009, 09:45   #8
Senior - BHPian

Stay away from this car

Simply stay away from this car. No new generation petrol engine cuts off at 4500 RPM
Old 11th December 2009, 09:53   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Actually at around 4500 the strong top end pulls the car fast. In short, Baleno motor revs to 6500 easily. 4500 it feels like it has just cleared the throat.

Dont buy that baleno which has 4500 rpm cutoff.
You are being sold a car with some damage. Something is fishy here.
Old 11th December 2009, 10:07   #10
BHPian

Well as Mr. Goswami has stated, at 4500 rpm baleno kicks, and kicks hard. And in my baleno which now almost 4 years old it reaches 7000 rpm before cut off. My advice would be to forget that car, and hunt for a better one sir, I am sure you would get one.
Old 11th December 2009, 10:21   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinar View Post
The mechanic was trying to make a sale of a car with some issue. There is not such thing.
Now coming to the issue, ws this happening in every gear? did it happen when the car was revved to same rpm when parked? There may be issue with any of the sensors of the actual fuel delivery.
Yes this was happening when the car was revved to same rpm when parked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princemanatt View Post
So is it that @ 6500rpm the engine cut off happens?

I am bit surprised to hear from you all it could be a serious engine issue. The most important part is I went to see the car from a Maruti TRUE VALUE Dealer. The car was Maruti TRUE VALUE Certified too.

Last edited by bblost : 11th December 2009 at 10:30. Reason: back 2 back posts, use edit when posting within 20 mins. Thanks.
Old 11th December 2009, 12:53   #12
Senior - BHPian

i have revved my baleno upto the redline around 6500 rpm and never experienced any engine cut off.it probably cuts off at around 7000 rpm but i wouldn know because ive never revved it that much.

i would say stay away from that car.

rev
Old 11th December 2009, 13:01   #13
BHPian

Now a days most modern car has Engine Cutoff over redline. Sometime back Toyota Altis owner in team-bhp reported the same on his new Altis when he drove above redline in 2nd gear and engine cut off. This is to protect the engine.

But in your case, you have not crossed the redline, so it should not happen.
Old 11th December 2009, 13:01   #14
BHPian

Quote:
This could just be a sensor malfunction or could be pointing to bigger issues with the engine.

Forget about the technical aspects. You need to be worried about the salesman. He is lying and hence I wouldn't trust him (or the dealer) anymore.
Old 11th December 2009, 13:03   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revtech View Post
i have revved my baleno upto the redline around 6500 rpm and never experienced any engine cut off.it probably cuts off at around 7000 rpm but i wouldn know because ive never revved it that much.

i would say stay away from that car.

rev
There is no doubt about that i am not going for that car. who will after these discussions ?

But seriously i doubt whether its is really an engine issue. Because it didn't seemed so for me. It could be the issue with some thing else rt? What is controlling the engine cut off? Is it the ECM?

Most Viewed