Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2009, 13:35   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenxer View Post
I am bit surprised to hear from you all it could be a serious engine issue. The most important part is I went to see the car from a Maruti TRUE VALUE Dealer. The car was Maruti TRUE VALUE Certified too.
I am more surprised to see Baleno owners reporting that it does happen, at whatever rpm?!?!

Ask the TrueValue dealer what kind of checks they have performed on this particular Baleno. Ask them if you can see the documents regarding the checks. If they are claiming that engine cut-off at 4500 (or any other) rpm is an intended feature, ask to see that in writing (this MUST be mentioned in the owner's manual).
Old 11th December 2009, 13:51   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
I am more surprised to see Baleno owners reporting that it does happen, at whatever rpm?!?!
There is nothing surprising. Every modern car has a rev-limiter. Some has speed limiters too, guess Endeavor has it.

Fact is few drivers would ever take their cars to such high rpms, and fewers cars are happy to be revved so hard.
Old 11th December 2009, 13:53   #18
BHPian

True value certification is a hogwash as per me, all the 101 point checkup, warranty etc are sales gimmicks. surely the mechanic has a vested interest when he is trying to palm off a car with a problem. suggest that you stay away from such cars/dealers alternatviely you could get a good car if you regaulrly visit the market place on teambhp.
Old 11th December 2009, 14:36   #19
BHPian

How is your mileage buddy? Just check your mileage and your emission level. I don't know much about new generation petrol engines but I have a doubt that your engine is being fuel flooded.
Old 12th December 2009, 11:06   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiranpashtakar View Post
True value certification is a hogwash as per me, all the 101 point checkup, warranty etc are sales gimmicks. surely the mechanic has a vested interest when he is trying to palm off a car with a problem. suggest that you stay away from such cars/dealers alternatviely you could get a good car if you regaulrly visit the market place on teambhp.
My personal experience of TrueValue has been satisfactory (my first M800 was purchased from them), but to be brutally honest I don't know if it was due to their refurbishing the car or if the car was already in a good condition.

I had visited the Mahindra First Choice centre at Goregaon some months back, to check out on any used SUVs/MUVs. When I went to the back of the dealership to check out a Versa, I saw some vehicles stripped of their bottoms (suspension/tyres removed for rework on the same), and the service engineer proudly told me that every car they receive is stripped and inspected, touched up/reworked and only then delivered to the customer/put up for sale. Since I saw it happen first-hand I found it trustworthy.
Old 12th December 2009, 11:19   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But seriously i doubt whether its is really an engine issue. Because it didn't seemed so for me. It could be the issue with some thing else rt? What is controlling the engine cut off? Is it the ECM?
We have done 160-165 kmph run on Vadodara-A'bad exresshighway when we were late for my cousin's marriage. Now lets factor in speedo error and say that we were doing 155 kmph.

Baleno does 34 kmph/1000 rpm in 5th gear. So, 155/34 = 4558 rpm.
When one of our close relatives expired, we did high speed run where speeds did reach above 165 kmph on certain stretches.

So now you can be sure that this is not some sort of cutoff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight View Post
This could just be a sensor malfunction or could be pointing to bigger issues with the engine.
This reminds me of Samuri's thread on CMP malfunction ( IIRC ). The camshaft position sensor was problem here I suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan_pullarwar View Post
Now a days most modern car has Engine Cutoff over redline. Sometime back Toyota Altis owner in team-bhp reported the same on his new Altis when he drove above redline in 2nd gear and engine cut off. This is to protect the engine.

But in your case, you have not crossed the redline, so it should not happen.
Altis has an aggressive rev limiter. As soon as you hit the rev limiter, you will be bounced back to lower rpm in aggressive manner. But here 4500 is too low for baleno unit.
Old 12th December 2009, 13:19   #22
Senior - BHPian

The car is probably running in "limp" mode due to some error detected by the ECU. If you can, get an OBD2/Tech2 scanner, hook it up to the car and check for errors. If it's something minor, haggle with the dealer for selling you a car with hidden problems. Else, try some other car.
Old 13th December 2009, 10:01   #23
BHPian

Please DO NOT BUY THIS CAR.

Try looking at another Baleno if he has one or even look for the Baleno Altura as it is an Estate.
Old 13th December 2009, 11:06   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes this was happening when the car was revved to same rpm when parked.

I am bit surprised to hear from you all it could be a serious engine issue. The most important part is I went to see the car from a Maruti TRUE VALUE Dealer. The car was Maruti TRUE VALUE Certified too.

So it should happen in every gear and that can either be the injectors are clogged or the rpm sensor crank and/or cam sensor is giving wrong reading, or the fuel lines itself are clogged.
Just take a look at it again and tell the person that the car has an issue and balenos have a rpm limiter set to 7000rpm period.
Do not listen to any b*** S**t from them.

Last edited by dinar : 13th December 2009 at 11:11.
Old 13th December 2009, 22:18   #25
Senior - BHPian

Was the speedo / tachometer working when you test drove the car?

I am raising this point because in Honda's, when the tacho/speedo wire is disconnected (usually during TD's) the car goes into a limp mode, limiting the engine revs etc.

Last edited by AbhiJ : 13th December 2009 at 22:20.
Old 14th December 2009, 14:46   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
Was the speedo / tachometer working when you test drove the car?

I am raising this point because in Honda's, when the tacho/speedo wire is disconnected (usually during TD's) the car goes into a limp mode, limiting the engine revs etc.
Yes it was working.

Hey Does any one can tell me what is the average life time (in KMS) for a baleno engine. (In normal circumstances)
Old 15th December 2009, 02:58   #27
BHPian

Hey Xenxer, modern day engines as I have heard from a close friend who is a true value consultant in Bangalore is around the 2lac Km mark.

And my Baleno also cuts off after the 6500 mark!

Since its a topic about redlining the RPM, one quick question to all, Does redlining the RPM and making the engine cut off HARM the engine? I do it like once or twice a month on my car while shifting from 2nd to 3rd!! Just love the sound of the FFE on my car when it cuts off.
Old 15th December 2009, 06:27   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addy View Post
Since its a topic about redlining the RPM, one quick question to all, Does redlining the RPM and making the engine cut off HARM the engine? I do it like once or twice a month on my car while shifting from 2nd to 3rd!! Just love the sound of the FFE on my car when it cuts off.
redlining it occasionlly is fine..you dont have to wait for it to cut off !!
im sure you can enjoy the sound of your FFE that way.

rev
Old 15th December 2009, 09:12   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes it was working.

Hey Does any one can tell me what is the average life time (in KMS) for a baleno engine. (In normal circumstances)
Everyone has a different figure on this, some of my friends have balenos that have done 1.7Lac KM. some had to change rings at around 1.2 Lac KM. some had to get complete engine work done. It depends on how the engine is kept through it life on the road.
Some MASS clam 1.4-1.6 Lac is what the engine G16 engine will do in India.

Quote:
Hey Xenxer, modern day engines as I have heard from a close friend who is a true value consultant in Bangalore is around the 2lac Km mark.

Redlining once twice a month [if you say so] is OK , but redlining while driving in city conditions on regular bases do harm the valve seats.This is from experience of a friend fellow Bhpian.
Old 16th December 2009, 02:02   #30
BHPian

Quote:

S
ECU is what that controls the same rt? So any of you are aware where in Trivandrum:Kerala. I can do a ECU reprogramming.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks