Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2009, 10:27   #16
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
But Common rail does not use glow plugs. thats the point of direct injection.

It will start. believe me. All tata truck have been using DI from long ago. and When we had them it never gave any trouble in Darjeeling.

One thing we do regularly is that, we start our car and keep it on for 15 minutes morning and evening even on days we don't use them.
Actually large displacement DI engines do not need glow plugs, but smaller displacement ones need them. For example 2.2 safari has glow plugs, but 3.0 liter does not.
Old 21st December 2009, 11:00   #17
BHPian

Some tips here:
  • Use antifreeze in your coolant
  • Don't idle for too long in cold temperatures. Engines will warm up faster under load than at idle speeds. However, make sure not to rev too high during the first 5-10 minutes of driving.
  • Use of engine block heaters is highly recommended.
  • Get your battery inspected before your trip, make sure it's holding enough charge.
I've had no problems starting my Mitsubishi Lancer last year when it was -40 C without even a block heater. Everything in the car was frozen solid for about the first 5 minutes of driving. However, a block heater helps quite a bit.
Old 21st December 2009, 11:28   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
CRDi cars come with glow plug lights, so i am sure they come with glow plugs. The owner manual suggests you to wait for light to go off before starting the engine. In Direct Injection engines the light normally lights up for very short duration compared to relatively longer wait in IDI engines such as Indica and Safari TCIC.

Common Rail engines do not have Glow plugs & just checked yesterday with Mahindra center (Scorpio CrDe) does not have glow plugs in it. The engine check light which comes is for checking the fuel pump / filter functioning.
Old 21st December 2009, 12:07   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamtheLeo
Common Rail engines do not have Glow plugs
Do not generalise.
There are more CRD's with glow plugs than those that don't.
Old 21st December 2009, 12:10   #20
Team-BHP Support

To restate what I said earlier, large displacement direct injection engines(CRDI or non CRDI) normally do not have glow plugs. There is no hard limit, but mostly DI engines above 2.5 liters in capacity can do without glow plugs. For smaller engines, like 1.5L etc., cold starting will become an issue if there are no glow plugs.
However, while a 1.4 liter IDI engine, like indica will not start even at 10-15 degree C without glow plugs, a 1.4 liter DI engine can manage even when temperature is 3-4 degrees.
Old 25th December 2009, 20:04   #21
BHPian

Once when we were traveling to Leh in a rickety old Sumo someone at Pang (was probably a local driver) suggested to pour hot water (if one can manage to get) on the engine and battery. This is suppose to work well. The older army trucks use to light a fire below the engine (now please dont try that) to get the vehicle kicking.
Heating the battery certainly helps.
Old 18th May 2010, 11:29   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
...take a Thar to Ladakh in September...
So would I! Except, it would be October... with the Scorpio anyway.

Surely the Thar is as prone to diesel gelling / freezing and resultant cold-start issues as any other diesel vehicle operating in those temperatures?

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 18th May 2010 at 11:31.
Old 18th May 2010, 11:53   #23
Muzungu

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post

Surely the Thar is as prone to diesel gelling / freezing and resultant cold-start issues as any other diesel vehicle operating in those temperatures?
are you serious in asking the above question about diesel freezing and resulting in cold starts?

time and technology moves on my friend!

Last edited by khan_sultan : 18th May 2010 at 12:04. Reason: fixed quotes

Old 18th May 2010, 12:17   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...diesel gelling / freezing...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzungu View Post
are you serious in asking the above question about diesel freezing and resulting in cold starts?

I'm serious about the query.

Each and every one of us here has faced diesel cold start issues in sub-zero weather conditions, and technology has apparently not advanced to the extent in India where winter-grade diesel is available in those parts, to civilians at least.

@ Muzungu: What would you suggest?
Old 18th May 2010, 12:42   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzungu View Post

Quote:
I'm serious about the query.

Each and every one of us here has faced diesel cold start issues in sub-zero weather conditions, and technology has apparently not advanced to the extent in India where winter-grade diesel is available in those parts, to civilians at least.

@ Muzungu: What would you suggest?

Well last September in sub-freezing temps at Tso Moriri, I had issues with the cold start. The engine took about 10-15 cranks before sputtering back to life. Diesel sold in Ladakh and other upper climes comes premixed with anti-freeze, thereby prohibiting its freezing so Doc, you don't need to worry too much. Also the ECU changes the timing based on the altitude, so that helps as well. But since the air is also cold, one needs continuous application of the heater to make the engine start.
Old 18th May 2010, 12:56   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Well last September in sub-freezing temps at Tso Moriri, I had issues with the cold start. The engine took about 10-15 cranks before sputtering back to life. Diesel sold in Ladakh and other upper climes comes premixed with anti-freeze, thereby prohibiting its freezing so Doc, you don't need to worry too much. Also the ECU changes the timing based on the altitude, so that helps as well. But since the air is also cold, one needs continuous application of the heater to make the engine start.
Actually, diesel up there is normal diesel, not premixed.
There are two things here. First, if ambient engine block temp is lets say -1 or -2 degrees, fuel is still liquid, however, the engine block is cold. So you need multiple applications of heater to fire the engine. Once engine is on, the fuel return line will ensure warm diesel to the engine. So even if temp drops for -10, its okay,
Second, -10 degree kind of night temperatures. Here diesel starts gumming, and all you can do is heat the fuel tank, prime the hand pump, and then somehow start the vehicle.
Once started you are good to go, as hot diesel will be recirculated into the tank via fuel return lines.

People with diesel vehicles in ladakh have a tough time in winters when temps go to -20 degree C. Diesel gums up, and they cannot start the engine unless vehicle is parked in sunlight for some time.
Old 18th May 2010, 13:01   #27
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
People with diesel vehicles in ladakh have a tough time in winters when temps go to -20 degree C. Diesel gums up, and they cannot start the engine unless vehicle is parked in sunlight for some time.
What does the army do for their vehicles? Aren't they all now diesel?
Old 18th May 2010, 13:09   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
What does the army do for their vehicles? Aren't they all now diesel?
Actually I only saw Army Gypsies in Ladakh. But I'm sure the other vehicles like the Stallion must be running in winter

@Tanveer: It was confirmed by some Oil Co person that the Diesel is indeed Pre-Mixed
Old 18th May 2010, 13:10   #29
Team-BHP Support

They use boiled water in the radiator, i know that helps. Also leave the engine running through the night in some cases.
Old 18th May 2010, 13:10   #30
Team-BHP Support

Army diesel and civilian diesel is different. They do not fill from regular petrol pumps, but have their own stock. Nowhere in the himalayas I have found a pump selling diesel with anti freeze, even in winters.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks