Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2010, 23:05   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
Our FIAT UNO was EURO III way back in 2001.
Again, it was Euro-III ready but not compliant. But the fuel quality in those days did play havoc with the newer generation MPFi (petrol) engines. The DI/IDI diesels were quite happy to clatter away and belch smoke to glory, unmindful of how much sulphur (or kerosene) was mixed with the diesel. The first common rail diesel came in the Accent CRDi in 2003 (apart from the Merc CDi engines which were priced beyond the reach of most people). And when these engines started to fail because of fuel-related issues, they gained the reputation of being of poor quality.
Quote:
Now you are scaring me out of my liking towards the Ritz. Where do i get the list of these 13 cities they are talking about.
No need to be scared.

Not 13, but 11 cities: Delhi (NCR), Kolkata, Mumbai, Chennai, Hyderabad, Ahmedabad, Surat, Pune, Bangalore, Kanpur, and Agra.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 6th February 2010 at 23:08.
Old 6th February 2010, 23:19   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Our FIAT UNO was EURO III way back in 2001. Is that the reason why the engine started getting carbon deposits quite early in its life. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Again, it was Euro-III ready but not compliant. But the fuel quality in those days did play havoc with the newer generation MPFi (petrol) engines.
The FIAT UNO 1.2SPFI was Euro-III compliant (Yes compliant and not just ready). I still the document that compared it against its contemporaries of that time. Will post it sometime.
Old 7th February 2010, 00:25   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
The FIAT UNO 1.2SPFI was Euro-III compliant (Yes compliant and not just ready). I still the document that compared it against its contemporaries of that time. Will post it sometime.
AFAIK Uno 1.2 shared the engine with Palio 1.2, due to lower weight and hence better power to weight ratio it had better performance.
Old 7th February 2010, 09:41   #34
Senior - BHPian

The Ritz Diesel is supposed to be BS IV compliant and not BS IV ready. Atleast that is what i am reading everywhere. Does that mean that i should not buy that if i am outside these 11 cities???!!!!
HELP FAST. I am about to make a decision between BSIII Swift Ldi andBSIV Ritz Ldi
Old 7th February 2010, 10:24   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
AFAIK Uno 1.2 shared the engine with Palio 1.2, due to lower weight and hence better power to weight ratio it had better performance.
Yes the UNO 1.2 and the Palio 1.2 shared the same block but the major difference was UNO was Single Point Fuel Injection containing a throttle whereas Palio was MPFI. Hence the Uno had pick up like a carburetted vehicle. Also the tranny was different in both of them.
Old 7th February 2010, 13:40   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The Ritz Diesel is supposed to be BS IV compliant and not BS IV ready. Atleast that is what i am reading everywhere. Does that mean that i should not buy that if i am outside these 11 cities???!!!!
HELP FAST. I am about to make a decision between BSIII Swift Ldi andBSIV Ritz Ldi
Maruti does not appear to declare anywhere on its Ritz microsite (Maruti Suzuki Ritz Car - Maruti Ritz Cars India Website) or anywhere else, whether or not it is BS-IV specs, esp. in the smaller towns. The MSIL press release prior to the Ritz's launch promised so.
Quote:
Ritz will be the first passenger car in India to be compliant with the BS-IV emission norms, in petrol as well as diesel variants. This is many months ahead of the BS-IV norms being applicable in India, reinforcing Maruti Suzuki's leadership position.
Maruti Suzuki to launch premium hatchback Ritz on May 15
However, on asking friends, I am told unofficially that BS-IV compliance is not being adhered to (because it is not legally required), and MSIL is one of the auto manufacturers who have been making the loudest noises for deferment of the date of BS-IV implementation.

Whether the car is BS-III/BS-IV compliant, the registration certificate will bear the information. Can any Ritz owner please confirm, esp. from the non-metro cities?
Old 15th February 2010, 22:29   #37
Senior - BHPian

what happened to this thread? No updates?
Old 15th February 2010, 23:10   #38
Senior - BHPian

Bharat Petroleum has started making fuel which will cater to this; read this in The Hindu last day.
Old 16th February 2010, 14:48   #39
Senior - BHPian

But i guess that will reach only the mentioned 13 cities.
Old 1st April 2010, 10:29   #40
Senior - BHPian

Again Dead!! What really happened to this discussion?

I sent a mail to ford asking clarification on this. No replies yet. Is there something fishy going around with these BSIII-BSIV thingy? Why are manufacturers not ready to come out in the open.

I'm still hoping ford gives me a decent enough reply rather than a standard "thank you for your interest - always at your service" crap.
Old 1st April 2010, 11:24   #41
BHPian

Quote:
I sent a mail to ford asking clarification on this. No replies yet. Is there something fishy going around with these BSIII-BSIV thingy? ....
Hi Gemi,

I did the same. Wrote to Customer Relation at Hyundai. Waiting for their formal response still after 2 days.

Here is the link that tsk1979 spoke about.

Just wanted to share the same with you folks.

Regards
Old 1st April 2010, 15:13   #42
Senior - BHPian

Guys, whats up ? This thread should be the talk of the town, I mean TBHP !!

Can the mods please put this as a Sticky thread for the information it shows.

Can anyone help me with the following configurations.

1. What is a Euro 3 compliant car is run on Euro 4 Petrol/Diesel ?
2. What if a Euro 4 compliant car is run on Euro 3 Petrol/Diesel (considering the guy travels to such cities)
3. Is there something like Euro 2 level petrol too ? Where is this available ?
4. What is the fuel in remote areas like Leh etc ?
5. How about even older cars which would be Euro 2 compliant, is it safe to run that car on Euro 4 petrol/diesel (as the person is staying in one of the 13 metros)

Any effects ? Or just fill it and continue driving as before.
Old 1st April 2010, 15:39   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
Can anyone help me with the following configurations.

1. What is a Euro 3 compliant car is run on Euro 4 Petrol/Diesel ?
2. What if a Euro 4 compliant car is run on Euro 3 Petrol/Diesel (considering the guy travels to such cities)
5. How about even older cars which would be Euro 2 compliant, is it safe to run that car on Euro 4 petrol/diesel (as the person is staying in one of the 13 metros)

Any effects ? Or just fill it and continue driving as before.
Euro 3 and Euro 4 are emission standards determining the CO,HC,NOx and PM limits for a vehicle. The answers for your questions are-
1. No problem, Euro 4 will be a much cleaner fuel
2. No problem in driveability, but the after treatment systems will get clogged, fuel system service intervals will change.
5. No problem again.

Spike
Old 1st April 2010, 16:04   #44
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the reply Spike. I was really worried about it, now I can fill up my car in peace.
How is it that M800 is not selling in Euro 4 petrol cities if running Euro 3 car with Euro 4 petrol is not an issue.
Old 1st April 2010, 16:39   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
How is it that M800 is not selling in Euro 4 petrol cities if running Euro 3 car with Euro 4 petrol is not an issue.
As most countries are migrating to stringent emission norms, this is one step in implementing the norm in India. As this will happen only in a phased manner, so the major cities are covered in the first phase. This prevents the manufacturer from selling BSIII/EIII vehicles in these cities. Thats it.

Spike

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks