Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2009, 22:07   #1

Magnetic Fuel Energizer in Ritz

I bought a Maruti Ritz Vxi, from Vitesse Pvt. Ltd. in October 2009. Inspite of my apprehensions, my overall experience with Vitesse was quite good and I am quite happy with the performance of the car.

For the first free service, I took my car to Sai Service in Andheri, Mumbai in Nov 2009. The person who attended to my car said that I had to install a magnetic fuel energizer since it was “compulsory”. He explained that it helps in keeping impurities in the oil from entering the engine. However, he failed to mention that the mileage would suffer after I installed it and it was only after I returned from the service station and noticed the same on the warranty card. Over the last month, I have noticed that the mileage of my car has dropped appreciably.

I wish that before installation I was properly informed of the pros and cons of installing the magnetic fuel energizer. Had I been informed of its cons, I would have probably not agreed to its installation. The mileage offered by the Ritz is one of the main reasons I bought the car, with the Hyundai i10 offering the same features for a lower price. Now, within two months of my purchase, I have no option but to deal with a significantly lower mileage from a brand new car.

To add to my chagrin, the warranty card also advises me not to detach the unit before the car has traveled 2000 kms! Given the “irreversible” effects of the installation, shouldn’t I have been properly informed of the pros and cons of the installation?

While I am happy with my purchase experience with Maruti, I cannot say the same for my experience with its service. This is all the more disappointing, given that one of the other reasons I went for Maruti is its outstanding service.

I am wondering whether I should go ahead and complain to Maruti. If I do, whom should I write to? What would be my options? Would appreciate some suggestions. Thanks for your time.
Old 20th December 2009, 01:59   #2
Senior - BHPian

Magnetic Fuel Energizer??!

Engine & fuel engineering - Fuel Energizer!

Magnetic Fuel Energizer by Hyundai - Page 1 | Maintain Your Car | Car Forums - CarWale.com

Could you have been duped?? Fellow members, got any experience to share?
Old 20th December 2009, 02:08   #3
Senior - BHPian

I can't believe that MUL would have made the fitting of such equipment "compulsory". It is obviously "compulsory" by Sai Service in their compulsion to milk some more money outta you. You should never have agreed to have anything to do with it. Anyway, now that its done, you could complain to Maruti.

How much did they charge you?

While it most likely will do no good, I don't see how it can reduce your fuel economy. Could be some other issue that is causing it...

Last edited by Raccoon : 20th December 2009 at 02:10.
Old 20th December 2009, 04:36   #4
Senior - BHPian

First of all no car company makes something compulsory of a part which is not fitted by factory. If there is some manufacturing defect, then it is their duty to rectify not at your cost. Such things should be reported to Maruti. You will get a feed back form from MUL. You can find the address in that. Other wise find MUL address in your user's manual and address to the CEO, Services. Then you will get a call from the Sai. Tell them to take the energizer and pay your money back. Weadd additive with the fuel for Diesel cars. That is for once in 5000 or 10K km. That too not a must, it is our wish. I do have a RITZ VDI ABS

Last edited by navan49 : 20th December 2009 at 04:38.
Old 20th December 2009, 07:57   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

@sqs103, do you have the bill & related papers for this device ? Call MUL helpline and ask them what it is about. Ask enough questions without complaining, and even throw in a comment of friend being asked to get this device. Should be enough to get MUL to talk to the dealer, and may be even a refund.

Btw, what is the name of this device ? Pls post anything you have - including pics of this device.
Old 20th December 2009, 09:27   #6
BHPian

Are they the same types that are available on ebay? I am sorry, but by the sounds of it ( google search ), it sure is a scam.

Could you kindly post pics of the device.

This could be a probable scenario:

1. I am a distributor for the product.
2. I approach dealership, offer them a handsome cut.
3. Service Advisors, whose words are like bible to some, push the product.
4. The dealership makes more money !

Ps. Like someone suggested, they should take your permission before fitting a non-standard ( read as non-factory) device. Its always best to check with manufacturer.

Last edited by vdiatech : 20th December 2009 at 09:37.
Old 20th December 2009, 17:20   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

First of all this product is not compulsory. You have been duped by the SA/MASS, go ahead and ask for refund + Send a complaint to the concerned person.
Old 20th December 2009, 18:18   #8
Senior - BHPian

Total waste, that too no FE improvement, then how does it help ??

Lodge a complaint with MUL immediately. Keep the bills in handy.
Old 21st December 2009, 22:42   #9

Re: Magnetic fuel energizer

Thanks guys for replying with comments and suggestions. I'm posting an image of (what I think is) the device, along with the warranty card which came with it. As it clearly says, FE will suffer in the first 1000 kms.
Attached Thumbnails
Magnetic Fuel Energizer in Ritz-img_2489.jpg  

Magnetic Fuel Energizer in Ritz-mfe.jpg  

Old 21st December 2009, 23:31   #10
BHPian

oh yes, those two back magnets, clamped to the fuel line. Sorry, but I really think you should report this to MUL. Scores of such things are available online. If you try and read the science behind it, you will find it simply hilarious ! Please do a google to read about feedbacks on this !

You should talk and return the item and get your money back . Period !

Ps. for other readers , you also get TURBOMAGS ( bigger magnets ) , for more petrol savings ! Pease dont fall for it !

Last edited by vdiatech : 21st December 2009 at 23:35.
Old 22nd December 2009, 00:00   #11
Senior - BHPian

A definite scam. But like I said, though it won't do any good, how would it even lower the fuel efficiency in the beginning? And why are they saying it will? Hmmm...

Last week, when I was at the spares counter of my MASS, I saw several mechanics come and take away oil additive cans. It seems them to all cars. I was aghast. Good heavens, I always bring my own oil and get it changed in front of me, so I was spared. IIRC, the additive was BG. Can't recall the variant.
Old 22nd December 2009, 06:38   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

If the brochure is only that much, it does not even say it is MUL approved / tested. How can the MASS say it is cumpulsory ?
Old 22nd December 2009, 09:46   #13
Senior - BHPian

It seems that the MASS guys has taken you for a ride. I am quite sure that Maruti will not force customers to go in for such a fitments. Had this product been a success then OEM's would have readily accepted & fitted such device on the car already.

If you have proper receipts of the device then you can have a word with Maruti , so that such malpractices can be stopped with immediate effect.
Old 22nd December 2009, 11:57   #14
BHPian

I think you should escalate the matter to Maruti immediately. Apart from giving a call to Maruti customer care, you should also file a written complaint with them.

Quote:
The person who attended to my car said that I had to install a magnetic fuel energizer since it was “compulsory”. He explained that it helps in keeping impurities in the oil from entering the engine.
1. If the device is to be installed on a "compulsory" basis, why did not Maruti install it in the first place ?
2. The next thing your SA will come up with (on your 1st paid service/20000 KM) will be engine flushing, decarbonising, AC cleaning etc. etc.

Before going with the advice by SA, please refer to the service/owners' manual and if not satisfied - do not hesitate to leave a bad/low rating/feedback on the feedback form.
Old 22nd December 2009, 13:47   #15
Senior - BHPian

1) This is not compulsory. If its were compulsory, Maruti would have installed it before sending it to dealer.

2) This is a scam. Remember the ads that appeared in ACI in 2000-2002 ? One of the ads in the back pages had this type of fuel engergizer/Magnetic fuel energizer. You just have to clip it on the fuel line to get higher FE.

3) Have you informed Suzuki about this ? Do inform them and ask if this is required or not. IMHO, its not required.

4) If its not required, remove the thing IMHO. This magnetic fuel energizer is clamped on fuel line, and I personally dont like anything being clamped onto fuel line. If it comes from factory, its good, but not otherwise.

I was once upon a time cheated like this.
I went to IOC fuel station on H.T. ( High Tension Road ) Road, Vadodara ( dont go this pump, its the worst IOC pump I have ever visited ). There a few guys were selling some device that was to fixed in the spark plug cable.
The advantages claimed by them were :
higher FE.
no starting problem
better pickup.

The cost was Rs. 120 I think. Agreed to install that on my Bajaj Spirit and one guy came with a cutter, cut my Spirit's cable and installed the device that was cylindrical in shape and around 6-7 cms in length. I felt really bad as the cable was very high quality. Paid the money and got bill for that.

Later informed my father about the same. Dad said cost of learning is very high. He told me there is nothing but a capacitor inside the smart device you have smartly installed.

I admit that the starting issue was gone. That scotterette would start with a single kick irrespective of season. Felt happy.
One day a thought came to my mind that lets open the stuff and see what is inside. Some cable was wasted but I managed to take that out as it was just attached to cable through simple twisting of device on the cable on both ends.

Broke that device and was shocked. It was nothing but a single capacitor. My father was correct.
Immediately I tried to call the office on given number. The number did not exist. Tried to visit that place personally only to realize that it was some hospital in Karelibaug area.

This is how I was cheated once.
My friend's Caliber 115 has similar thing on his bike. I informed him about the same, but he said it came from company as it was there when his father took delivery of his bike. Talked to his father and he said that this thing was installed by dealer. The dealer informed him that company has asked dealers to install this device as it is essential else bike will fail and if the device is not installed, warranty will be void and if the bike fails within 2 years, repairing will be done at owners' cost.
Also if the device is not installed, the free services will automatically get converted to paid service.

Moral :
a) These devices are not very useful.
b) Even if authorized service center installs it, chances are that they are not recommended by company. The dealers do fake it as " compulsory ".

@mods : Sorry for long post, but wanted to highlight how people are cheated. From this experience I wanted to show that even Authorized service centers are involved.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks