Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2009, 17:29   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsha.cs1 View Post
While i do appreciate the point made, i would like to point out that not all aftermarket parts provide an iffy performance. If you identify good companies (such as bosch for various automotive parts including sensors etc., fag for bearings, monroe for struts etc.) then you will still get good performance at prices which are much below the A.S.S. prices. and for identifying which are the good brands, you can always rely on the combined experience of BHPians. However, one place where you'd have to take special care is to ensure that you dont end up buying the millions of duplicates which are there in the automobile spares market.
Cheers,
Harsha
Agree with you Harsha, specially on the point related to spurious spares. There are two reasons why I recommend going with OEM:

a) Guaranteed quality and compatibility
b) Dealer/car mfr stands by to rectify any issue after the parts are installed.

I do not deny that some after market spares would be superior. However, while enthusiasts may be content to experiment and spend extra in order to squeeze the best performance out of their vehicles, I think it is always best to stay with OEM for critical spares such as brake pads which directly impact safety. This is a no brainer actually with the least risk.

Rgds,
Old 21st December 2009, 19:02   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

I once got a pair of non OEM brake pads installed to my Accent, the feel was a lot better but those poor quality pads were gone in less than 5k kms. I got them replaced for free, i had repo with the workshop owner.
Old 27th December 2009, 13:14   #18

Better not to take chance with spurious spare parts specially with brake parts.
Initial price may be low but life of the part is even lower and there is always risk involve.
Old 15th September 2010, 23:36   #19
NGM
BHPian

Experienced the same issue with Corolla Altis.Now the Odometer reads 14000 and as per the service center i need to replace the front and rear brake pad.I was surprised as i have used the car for only 14000Km.Asked them y i have to replace it so soon and the answer really surprised me.It was like " We have even replaced the brake pads at 7000 Km".Was it some kind of achievement ?
Cost for Corolla Altis spare parts is also very high compared to Old corolla.I guess cost of ownership is going to be very high for an Altis when compared with the older corolla version.
As per the info i have it is like
Old Corolla - around 7000 -8000 for all brake pads.
For Corolla Altis - Rs 14000
Old 16th September 2010, 09:18   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGM View Post
Experienced the same issue with Corolla Altis.Now the Odometer reads 14000 and as per the service center i need to replace the front and rear brake pad.I was surprised as i have used the car for only 14000Km.Asked them y i have to replace it so soon and the answer really surprised me.It was like " We have even replaced the brake pads at 7000 Km".Was it some kind of achievement ?
Cost for Corolla Altis spare parts is also very high compared to Old corolla.I guess cost of ownership is going to be very high for an Altis when compared with the older corolla version.
As per the info i have it is like
Old Corolla - around 7000 -8000 for all brake pads.
For Corolla Altis - Rs 14000
You're right, the old Corolla's brake pads were in the region of about 3.5K-4K a set (a set for front or rear wheels) w/o taxes. I am not sure why Toyota plans to charge nearly double for the brake pad set..though the Altis has larger brakes all around. Rs 14K for brake pads?! Yikes!

My car is due for its 3rd service next week (appointment taken before 2 years are completed as I want to get it done ASAP) and I will have to speak with the SA.

That said, the life of brake pads depends on many factors and it is quite hard to generalise. I would expect them to last at least 20-25K kms with a moderate driving style.
Old 16th September 2010, 10:07   #21
AWD
BHPian

Even the brake pads for earlier Corollas did not come cheap. Both front & rear cost ~8k, add to that high labour costs & taxes.

Took the car for 60k kms. service to Toyota, they gave an estimate of ~3.2k. Reversed out & tried Carnation, they completed the service in 1.8k.
Old 16th September 2010, 13:35   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Even though its better to go for OEM pads, in this case, considering the ridiculous amount Toyota charges for spares, I suggest you go for after market pads. You do get good quality ones, and they sure don't cost 14k. My friend never goes for OEM pads for his Skoda. I guess thats because of the cost effectiveness(VFM) of the aftermarket ones.
Old 16th September 2010, 14:00   #23
NGM
BHPian

May have to start looking for after market pads and parts if Toyota is coming up with figures like 14K for brake pads and so on.

Is toyota going the Skoda way by pricing the parts this expensive when compared to the previous versions?
Old 16th September 2010, 17:02   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Thinking about this issue quite a bit. A solution just may be at hand. The Altis' brake system including pads is made by Bosch. Would it be possible to get brake pads from Bosch India via its dealers? Generally suppliers dont sell OEM spares in the open market.

I am not sure who made the older Corolla's braking system/pads.

Regards,
Old 16th September 2010, 20:30   #25
BHPian

comparison with Civic AT

For comparison with my Civic AT, I changed my front-pads (along with the discs) at 40K and the rear-pads at 65K.

So I wonder how yours was worn at 14000.
If you have a driver, maybe it was not driven properly?

The cost of pads for the Civic was around 4.8K including labour, for front alone, and around the same for the rear.

Last edited by manim : 16th September 2010 at 20:32.
Old 16th September 2010, 20:36   #26
AWD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
I am not sure who made the older Corolla's braking system/pads.
Maybe TVS. Decent aftermarket pads would certainly last more than 14k kms.

Toyota should start providing spares over-the-counter to consumers.
Old 16th September 2010, 20:46   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
Maybe TVS. Decent aftermarket pads would certainly last more than 14k kms.

Toyota should start providing spares over-the-counter to consumers.
I am quite sure that it wasn't TVS....they don't make braking and ABS systems for Toyota.

Toyota's dealers are less strict when it comes to OTC spares. But many a times it depends on the relationship you have with them. The Pune dealer (DSK Toyota) is mostly cooperative though they wont sell spares OTC to just about anyone who walks in unless they are convinced he/she is an existing customer. Believe me, Toyota dealers are much, much more flexible than Honda dealers (who think the world begins and ends with them!!). The local Honda dealer, who's been in business since the late 90s is a <unprintable word>.

Rgds,
Old 16th September 2010, 21:58   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGM View Post
Almost one year back the service advisor at Hyundai service centre told me that the brake pads in my Elantra are almost worn out and offered to replace the same. I told him that i prefer to wait for them to wear out fully before replacement. Now almost 1 year and lots of kms. (Surely more than 20k+ kms) after this the same brake pads are working fine with no problems.

Brake pads in most cars have a feeler pin that starts making shrill noise when the pads are about to be worn out till limit. I prefer to wait till this indication or i check the pads personally now before giving a green signal for replacement.

The also posted about this last year and some time back in this thread by GTO.
Old 25th September 2010, 18:55   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Corolla Altis Spare Parts Shocker

As mentioned below, I had my car's 3 free service (20k kms/24 months) today. As expected Toyota's service is excellent. The car's brakes were adjusted, WA done, and the engine oil and filter changed (Shell Helix Ultra). I am a satisfied customer.

But there's more to this tale than just service. Lets talk about spares. I enquired about the brake pads and yes, the price with labour is about 7.2K for the front and 6.5K for the rear. Ouch! When I asked him why the SA said that these brake pads last longer than those on the old Corolla. When asked how much longer pat came the reply with a sheepish grin "It depends on your driving style"

What I also noticed is the Altis has the MOST expensive consumable spares (clutch assembly, brakes pads) of all the Toyota models including, get this, even the old and new Camry models & the LC Prado. The diesel Altis' clutch is more expensive than the petrol version's clutch. I also understand from some of jocreative's posts that the headlamp assembly with HID bulb is Rs 34K and side view mirrors are 14K each. Gosh! This makes for a car that you need to be careful with.

TKM seem to be taking a leaf out of Skoda's book.

Last edited by R2D2 : 25th September 2010 at 18:57.
Old 1st July 2015, 09:54   #30

Re: Corolla Altis : Brake Pads need replacement frequently

Hi folks,
I am writing this for my friend who owns a 2012 corolla altis d4d which has clocked 35k.He has been facing the issue of changing the front brake pads every 20k.The SA said the issue is common with all altis and at times the pads don't even last 20k.He did renew the pads @20k and now after 15k the pads are due for replacement with almost 80 percent worn out. Is there any other alternative to avoid this frequent change of pads like aftermarket pads that last longer than OEM pads?

Most Viewed