Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2009, 08:20   #1
BHPian

Getz CRDi - Heavy Clunky sound when the rear tyres go over broken + uneven surface.

It appeared suddenly, it was not there one day, and it was there the next day.

Seems to be increasing with the passage of time.

No, there are no loose bits or parts inside the boot.

1. The sound appears to come from the under-body.

2. Its a metal hitting metal kind of sound.

3. There is no sound in the morning when the engine is completely cold, it starts appearing after i have driven for 20-30 kilometers.

4. I checked the under-body and looked for any loose connections around the silencer assembly, but found none.

5. There is no sound when the front tires go over similar patch.

6. The sound only come if the surface is broker + uneven. I mean to say when there is up down movement of suspension along-with a kind of pendulum sway of chassis.

Could anyone please help in diagnosing the issue?

Thanks.
Old 24th December 2009, 08:32   #2
BHPian

Hi, did you check the bolts of the wheels to see if they are secure . Last time, I heard some clank-clank in my car, it was lose bolts at the wheel !
As silly as this may sound, quite possible.
Old 24th December 2009, 08:44   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdiatech View Post
Hi, did you check the bolts of the wheels to see if they are secure . Last time, I heard some clank-clank in my car, it was lose bolts at the wheel !
A week before this sound appeared i had the wheel alignment and balancing done.
I will check the loose bolts for both the rear tires and revert back.
Old 24th December 2009, 09:32   #4
BHPian

I had a very similar problem. Clank - bang every time I went over broken tarmac. Finally it turned out to be quite embarrassing - the whip antenna was banging the roof. But believe me, all three people I showed it to were 100% sure that the sound was emanating from rear under body .
Old 24th December 2009, 09:33   #5
Senior - BHPian

I had the same porblem in two of my cars, First was an esteem, This was fixed the moment the rear shocks were changed, But resurfaced after ~1000 Kms, Now my lancer is making the same noise, and its due for a suspension overhaul next month. I suspect it could be the shocks.

Pramod
Old 24th December 2009, 10:00   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
I had the same porblem in two of my cars, First was an esteem, This was fixed the moment the rear shocks were changed, But resurfaced after ~1000 Kms, Now my lancer is making the same noise, and its due for a suspension overhaul next month. I suspect it could be the shocks.

Pramod
thanks for the suggestion, pramod.

but my getz is only 7500 kms old. could it have a suspension problem so early in its life.
Old 24th December 2009, 10:20   #7
BHPian

pb10gagan,
I had a similar sound in my getz.
First time(this was a loud clanky sound), The service center had to remove the rear bumper and tighten some plate after which the sound disappeared. Check if you can hear the same clunky sound by hitting the rear bumper with your hand.

Second time(Minor click sound when the right rear wheel went in smallest of pothole), the sound was isolated to a loose rear brake cable(handbrake cable) & was fixed by retightening the cable.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by malgudi : 24th December 2009 at 10:24.
Old 24th December 2009, 10:33   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb10gagan View Post
thanks for the suggestion, pramod.

but my getz is only 7500 kms old. could it have a suspension problem so early in its life.

If its more of a "dhoom" sound and feels like a huge thud its the rear shocks, Poor quality spares are the main culprit. My shock on esteem failed againg after 1000 Kms, My lancer had done 128K Kms and this is the first time this problem surfaced. I think just take it to the A S S and find out what could be the reason. I hope its still under warranty looking at the KMs run.

Pramod
Old 24th December 2009, 14:00   #9
BHPian

thanks a lot guys for your suggestions.

i will try each one of it and revert back.
Old 24th December 2009, 15:20   #10
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdiatech View Post
gagan bhai this could be it. Or maybe some stone stuck in ur tyre tread?
Old 24th December 2009, 17:33   #11
BHPian

I've a similar problem in my Getz GLS where I hear a noise, like some part is rubbing against something but the conditions are quite opposite.
  1. The noise is coming from the front tyres/suspension.
  2. It happens only in cold conditions. Early morning or evening (after the vehicle is still for 7-8 hours). More apparent in winters.
  3. The noise disappears after 2-3 kilometers of driving.
  4. The noise can be heard only in speed breakers where there is long travel of the shocks/suspension. If I go slowly over the speed breakers, there is no noise. After 2-3 kms even if I go fast on speed breakers the noise is not there.
I got it checked and the guys at Hyundai replaced the ball joint, but that's of no use. The car is back in the service center.

Some history:
  1. Getz 2005 August with 24K on the odo.
  2. I've fitted 14" lenso alloys with 185/60 XM1+ tyres. The alloys have plastic hub rings. The guy at the workshop suspects the plastic rings in the alloys, so I have asked him to remove the hub rings and check.
  3. I had a jump over a big pothole in the highway last year. The FR rim got a little dent. I started hearing the sound after about one month from that incident. After the wheel balancing the rim is now in RL.
I suspect some parts needs to be greased or some bush has given up. I also suspect the shocks. Anything to do with the doors?

Will have to wait till Saturday for the results. Today being a bandh in Hyderabad and tomorrow being Christmas.
Old 28th December 2009, 09:59   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullinb View Post
I had a very similar problem. Clank - bang every time I went over broken tarmac. Finally it turned out to be quite embarrassing - the whip antenna was banging the roof. But believe me, all three people I showed it to were 100% sure that the sound was emanating from rear under body .
thanks bullinb, i would never have been able to detect this problem if you had not posted this.

Quite an anti-climax this has turned out to be, but yes, this was the same reason in my getz.

I tightened all the bolts of tires, but nothing was loose.

Then, my attention diverted to the antenna, and it was loose. I tightened the antenna, and has driven so far about 1000 kms with it. There is no sound anymore.

Thanks a lot guys, for all you suggestions.
Old 28th December 2009, 10:15   #13
BHPian

Good you sorted it out. I am sure, one of the garages would have charged you in thousands and claim to have replaced some dangerously broken part ( where in reality, they would have only tightened the antenna's screw !! )

I am glad, I learnt something new as well today lol
Old 9th March 2011, 14:39   #14
BHPian

Re: Getz CRDi - Heavy Clunky sound when the rear tyres go over broken + uneven surfac

Quote:
Originally Posted by nischaltopno View Post
I've a similar problem in my Getz GLS where I hear a noise, like some part is rubbing against something but the conditions are quite opposite.
  1. The noise is coming from the front tyres/suspension.
  2. It happens only in cold conditions. Early morning or evening (after the vehicle is still for 7-8 hours). More apparent in winters.
  3. The noise disappears after 2-3 kilometers of driving.
  4. The noise can be heard only in speed breakers where there is long travel of the shocks/suspension. If I go slowly over the speed breakers, there is no noise. After 2-3 kms even if I go fast on speed breakers the noise is not there.
I got it checked and the guys at Hyundai replaced the ball joint, but that's of no use. The car is back in the service center.
After almost two years of search and expenses of about 20K for replacing ball joints, both struts, link rod, etc, the suspect was nailed last month. It was the Autocop speaker that was loose in the hinge, and because of the way it was mounted it used to sway up and down. Tightening and greasing of the hinge resolved the issue. Hats off to Lakshmi Hyundai (Hyderabad) guys - this was the first time I visited them for this problem.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks