Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2009, 13:30   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodie09 View Post
SirAlec, I am even more relieved with the costing you have mentioned but keeping fingers crossed.

Guys, I have one more question. I have been looking at other forums as well for such problem and found quite a few from outside India. Many of them also suggest trying the trick that Vigsom had suggested by trying to start the car in gear - suspecting a stuck plate. Also, a few have mentioned about the master or slave clutch cylinder being drained out of oil.
My question is (may sound stupid) that - does Alto have a hydraulically operated clutch.
Alto does not have a hydraulic clutch ; as @SirAlec said,even a clutch replacement is a very "sasta" job.In case you choose to get the gear box out,please check all the points that he has recommended.It will save you a lot of time and labour in the long run(gear boxes are normally removed only once in 60000-70000 kms for clutch plate replacement)

Last edited by vigsom : 28th December 2009 at 13:32. Reason: quote
Old 28th December 2009, 13:30   #17
Senior - BHPian

no hydraulic clutch on alto. i dont think you might need a clutch replacement. might be the clutch is just stuck. might be the clutch release bearing or the pressure plate flanges.
not a big issue. just take it to the service centre.
Old 28th December 2009, 14:37   #18
BHPian

I realised immediately after posting the last one that it is not hydraulic...I mean thats why we have been talking about the cable . but thanks for confirming.

Mods please ignore this post in case my previous attempt was successful - the link broke up when I submitted last time, so not sure.
Old 31st December 2009, 18:06   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

so Boss,what was the problem with teh clutch?
Old 31st December 2009, 20:30   #20
BHPian

Aah, as I said earlier it'd be possible only this Saturday. Tune Up Plus (MASS) is closed for New Year and Sunday.

Lets see what it comes out to be. Fingers crossed.Thanks for checking in.
Old 31st December 2009, 21:04   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodie09 View Post
I'll check for the cable first thing in morning and revert back. There is one more observation I wanted to share - I was able to operate clutch and shift gears when the engine was not running. However, when I idle the engine, the gears do not engage. This somehow tells me that the clutch cable is operating.
Push your csr to an open space in your compound or on the road with nothing in front of you. Then depress the clutch pedal and shift the stick into first, now only after it has gone in to gear turn the ignition key on.

Either the car will start and not move since you're still pressing the clutch pedal or it will jerk forward. If your engine starts and the car doesnt move forward till you release the pedal a little bit then maybe, just maybe for some reason the play is too much. If it jerks forward that means the clutch is not disengaging for some reason, and the plate is not free. And yes you can turn off the ignition immediately since you may spoil something.
Youre not able to tell us if you can feel the diaphram of the clutch get depressed when you press the pedal. If you were it would be easier for us to tell you whats the problem
Happy New Year to you Rodie09

Last edited by deutscheafrikar : 31st December 2009 at 21:10.
Old 31st December 2009, 23:10   #22
BANNED

The clutch cable lever on the gearbox might be bent and it has got stuck on the gearbox body .

What you can do is to look under the car and ask someone to operate the clutch . ( remember not to switch on the engine . ) When the clutch pedal is depressed , you sud be able to see the clutch level on the gearbox move . When the pedal is released , you must also see that the clutch returns to its normal position . Since you said you must have hit something this is the most possible thing that must have happened . IF the level is bent just get a tow bar and try to bend the clutch lever so that it moves freely .

If you do not know how to get it done , just get a local mech and ask him to inspect under the car .
Old 31st December 2009, 23:52   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmana2000 View Post
The clutch cable lever on the gearbox might be bent and it has got stuck on the gearbox body .

What you can do is to look under the car and ask someone to operate the clutch . ( remember not to switch on the engine . ) When the clutch pedal is depressed , you sud be able to see the clutch level on the gearbox move . When the pedal is released , you must also see that the clutch returns to its normal position . Since you said you must have hit something this is the most possible thing that must have happened . IF the level is bent just get a tow bar and try to bend the clutch lever so that it moves freely .

If you do not know how to get it done , just get a local mech and ask him to inspect under the car .
you know what, this never happens, unless the vehicle is taken a beating.
Old 1st January 2010, 08:01   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
you know what, this never happens, unless the vehicle is taken a beating.
These indications are that the clutch plate is sticking. Most probably the clutch plate release bearing is worn out/damaged. This could happen any time. This is the main interposing mechanism between the clutch operating lever and diaphragm spring.

The cost of the part is not much, but the work involved is. The left suspension, wheel and Gear box has to come off for this job.

Last edited by sudharma : 1st January 2010 at 08:04. Reason: Add info.
Old 1st January 2010, 09:22   #25
BHPian

Guys, I pushed the car out of parking and tried to do what some have suggested. With engine off moved into first gear, pressed the clutch pedal to bottom, tried ignition. The car lunges forward and of course I didnt try much after seeing this I didnt want to damage anything else.
Clearly the clutch is stuck in enganged position and I don't think much can be done without opening the assembly at MASS. I plan to get it towed to my nearest MASS tomorrow. Will try to post some pics of the work and details on what went wrong.
Old 1st January 2010, 10:02   #26
Senior - BHPian

So your clutch plate isn't burnt like the mechanic said or else it would be slipping. You've mentioned that the clutch cable is working. But still the clutch doen't disengane. So either the diaphram of the cover assembly is gone kaput or the fork that moves the thrust bearing or like sudharma says its the bearing itself thats bad. I feel if it is the bearing worn then it shouldhave made a rough sound for awhile now.
Guess you're pretty unlucky.
Old 4th January 2010, 10:56   #27
BHPian

Guys, just a small update on my Alto. The car finally is in the workshop at Tune up plus-Baner. Got it towed there on Saturday. Unlike my expectation of getting it opened in front of me, I had to leave it there as their hands were full. I was later informed when the clutch was already opened up. I went there and was shown the parts that came out. The bearing was gone and also the clutch plate (according to the mech) but I could not make out much as I did not have any reference. Yes, the springs were in damaged condition.

At the very begining of the job, the prop. had told me that the clutch assembly has failed and its a common enginerring practice to change, the clutch plate, pressure plate and bearing in one go when assembly is opened. So, rough esimate was 3.5 k which includes 1k for labour.

So, this is the work being done now and I'll get the car back today evening. I had reasons not to have clicked pictures of bad parts there but will click some when I get the car back, hope they have not thrown them away. There is another story to tell as well, but not the right time I guess.

I'll seek the team's opinion on parts condition and bill amount when I have the details posted later today.

Thank you all for your advices and help.
Old 4th January 2010, 12:54   #28
BHPian

Hi Rodie09

make sure that your clutch is properly adjusted. Refer to the following post

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post1613739

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post1634395

As you mentioned that the spring is damaged, then definitely your clutch must be engaging up high and so when fully pressing the clutch extra pressure on the spring would have damaged it. Kindly put up the photos of the damage if you can.

People do not realize the importance of proper clutch adjustment and the effect on its functioning and its longevity.

Most Viewed