Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2010, 12:12   #31
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
But this undetected surface won't produce bubbles overnight.
Yes it will within couple of days of painting, especially if exposed to sun. New paint will react with old paint/material - No one can predict that and thats all i meant. One of the main reason why i dont recommend over coat, esp for old paints. Materials have changed radically over the years and sometimes result in bad reactions.

Paint drips, no excuse but there are ways to correct it also!

Am not sure about pricing in TVM these days, so cant comment on that. I still believe its better to get things sorted out by the same workshop than to run to a new one, new one also will not take responsibility later on, if things go wrong. Or he will have to go for a complete job from scratch.

I seriously dont understand why your friend paid up and then went to another garage for electrical job, for that matter any job, he should have just insisted that it NEEDS to be fixed!
Old 8th January 2010, 12:38   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I seriously dont understand why your friend paid up and then went to another garage for electrical job, for that matter any job, he should have just insisted that it NEEDS to be fixed!
You wont burn your hands twice in the same fire will you? How can you expect to resubmit your beloved car to some one who doesn't know the oil sump capacity of an Ambassador and know to wire a headlight properly.
I managed to buy some information from an insider. (Money can do miracles !). So here are the details that I got.
The Amby was there as a trainer kit for Rookies! The main workers were dispatched on high tech cars and the apprentices were let loose on my friends car. The main electrician was asked to stand around every time my friend visited and the actual electrical work was done by apprentices. The dents on the side was caused by the workers fixing the rear bumper. Was it done because it was just an Ambassador and my friend paid hard cash instead of plastic money?

Quote:
Originally Posted by REMU View Post
Hi Adrain, That is a real sloppy paint job. Is this workshop some where near to Maruthankuzhi- PTP nagar. It will be great, if you can let us know about the same, so that in future we can be careful enough.
You got it right Remu. No harm in visiting this workshop. But take good care that this guy doesn't take you for a ride. Always make sure that you work is being carried out by experts and that you are not getting a bearing change for a squeaky fan belt ! Stay with them during the work.

Last edited by Jaggu : 8th January 2010 at 12:57. Reason: Back to back posts, please use Multi Quote instead, Thanks
adrian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2010, 12:59   #33
Team-BHP Support

Your call at the end of the day, and i definitely NOT agree to bribing a worker with money to get inside info!

Are you sure the insider gave the right info, coz the last i know the electrical work was outsourced. This was a few years back.

Anyways good of you to notify this here and as you mentioned people will be more careful when dealing with them.
Old 8th January 2010, 14:14   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Your call at the end of the day, and i definitely NOT agree to bribing a worker with money to get inside info!

Are you sure the insider gave the right info, coz the last i know the electrical work was outsourced. This was a few years back.
This friend of mine was subjected to mental torture and is in a financial crisis only because of my advice to take his car to this workshop. I will stop at nothing to get to the bottom of this and that is what friends are for. If you were in a situation like this, wouldn't you take responsibility or will you turn your back to your friend Jaggu?
As to your second para, the workshop has a visiting electrician. But the electrical work is carried out inside the workshop. If it was outsourced, why did the workshop post a labor charge for electrical fittings in its invoice instead of producing the invoice of the concerned firm like he did for wheel balancing and servicing? Ask any person who has taken his car to this workshop and you will find this out .As to the info I got; Didn't it explain the hand tool dent I mentioned about?
adrian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2021, 00:34   #35

Re: Trivandrum - Workshop Scam Alert

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
It was an overcoat painting and the agreement was that the workshop would scrape down the defective surfaces. But you can see the rear glass rubber bulging out and that means that they have not touched the area. More over an overcoat painting in any other workshop would cost only Rs.7000/ to Rs.8000/-.
I had got my father's amby fully scraped and painted for Rs.20,000/- and the work was good.

Hello Adrian,

May I know where that paint shop is? I am looking for a car painter to repaint my HM Ambassador.
Retrogrease is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2021, 12:02   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrogrease View Post
Hello Adrian,

May I know where that paint shop is? I am looking for a car painter to repaint my HM Ambassador.
Hi Retrogrease, that was an old workshop near Ambalamukku Temple, which is now closed after the owner's demise. You might try the one at Thakarapparambu, which got a decent paint booth. It is kind of busy always though. Happy to know about a fellow Ambassador owner
adrian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2021, 22:07   #37
BHPian

Quote:
I am looking for a car painter to repaint my HM Ambassador.
If you have not yet found a good painter and also if you live near Sreekaryam you could also consider a paint shop near Engineering College. Though I have not got a paint job done from there but have seen the shop having regular customers. The painter himself maintains an old Padmini well. The shop is at Ambadi Nagar Lane 4, Chavadimukku.

P.S. I just mentioned this if it could be of any help. Report Mods to delete it if it wasn't worth mentioning.

Last edited by Aditya : 5th February 2021 at 04:26. Reason: As requested
RR96 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2023, 23:10   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Adrian,

Hello, Did you manage to find a garage to repaint your amby?
Old 5th April 2023, 19:04   #39

ASS filled incorrect quantity of engine oil and charged for yet another quantity
While casually going through a routine service invoice from ASS for my sedan, realized they have billed for 3.9L engine oil. Quickly did some Google search and found the particular engine capacity during a filter change is 3.6L; else 3.4L (without filter change). Contacted the service center based out of Trivandrum over email and the fun started. I don’t want to reveal the manufacturer or the service center's name here. Sharing to make folks aware such scams exist where we least expect them. I felt not many are going to cross-check all these in a service invoice.
Day 1:
Me: Sent an email requesting clarification.
Day 3:
Me: Sends a reminder email as there wasn’t any response for the first email
ASS: “We confirmed that it added with filter, that’s 3.9”
Me: “As per information available to me, 3.6L is required if the filter is replaced and 3.4L if the filter isn't replaced. If you have any TSB's from <manufacturer> regarding this change, please share. Else, I will have to conclude engine oil was overfilled. Please confirm that 3.9L oil was filled, as I would like to get it corrected.
ASS: “I enquired the same with our works manager. It's correct as per your mail, but we provided the exact quantity 3.7 and calculated as 3.9 with filter...”
Me: “I am a bit confused here. How much oil went inside? 3.7L or 3.9L? Convenience's sake I would tend to ignore if it is 3.7L and I need to get it corrected if it is 3.9L. Please confirm.”
ASS: “We provided 3.7 L inside …”
Me: “This was very unfortunate that an established system isn't followed in an ASS. Just refer to the previous invoice and yet another strategy has been adopted last time.
1. Not sticking to specification is not something I expect
2. Charging for 3.9L randomly
Very sorry to admit that this would most probably be the last time I would give it for service in <ASS name> and I will definitely share my experience within my circle and the autoblogs which I am part of.
Have a nice day!”
ASS: “Shall I contact you now..” I shared my contact information

They claim to have filled 3.7L (instead of 3.6L) which I couldn’t verify and billed for a random 3.9L. In between also they were trying to confuse me with usual tricks with filter / without filter and all. When asked to revise the invoice and send me, they were a bit hesitant. I left it as I was no longer interested to continue this drama. All the while I was expecting them to ask me for my bank account information to refund the extra they charged. They never did proving it is a scam. I had to ask them straight. They transferred from someone’s personal bank account.
jagdish_ker is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed