Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2010, 19:38   #16
BHPian

I face the same Engine light issue in my Esteem. It happened a month ago. The yellow engine light came on all of a sudden. Since Mass was close, took it straight there and parked the car outside the service shop. When I came out with a mechanic to have a look, the light did not come on when i started the engine. He did check something under the bonnet but nothing seemed wrong according to him. He said, could be bad fuel and asked me to bring the car when the light comes one. Problem is the light is erratic.

Manual says, its an indication of an issue with Emission Control. Is there any other reason for it too?

The light did come on a few times after that, but went away too, either the same day or the next. Shifted to Essar fuel and have not seen the light come on since then. Fingers crossed.

MaSh
Old 20th October 2012, 15:36   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Baleno engine light glows?

Till a couple of days back, I was having the engine malfunction light on my Baleno turned on at times. It was not on all the time. Especially during cold starts, it could not be seen. When the engine heats up, occasionally it used to come up. Took to a MASS who scanned for the error code and they told there was an error code for faulty oxygen sensor in the history. Anyway since they did not had the part in stock, I drove with it for many days. Even then, I couldn't book the part in advance.

After a few days from then, at present, the engine malfunction light does not show up at all. It is then only that I notice one another thing. One of the LED that lights up the climate control display conked off a few days before all this happened. Now this has come back to normal (don't know how!) and ever since, no engine malfunction light. I wonder if there could be any connection between this and the engine malfunction light showing up.

Also, a couple of days before the engine malfunction light showing up, my FNG has increased the plug gap, after I complained about jerking upon taking the foot off the pedal. This jerking in-fact had cropped up after the same FNG tuned (adjusted the plug gap and sprayed the throttle body with something) the engine during my last service!

I'm also thinking if the oxygen sensor itself is not the culprit but the bad tuning is messing with the oxygen sensor readings?
Old 22nd October 2012, 15:16   #18
Senior - BHPian

^
Going by some threads on DIY of finding CEL error code, I got a code of 14 when the diagnostic port was grounded. Guess the error code 14 stands for a faulty coolant temperature sensor. And the MASS suggested a faulty oxygen sensor! What next? Now I don't see the CEL staying on at all, when the engine is started. Everything got solved on it's own?

If this post rings any bell in your mind, relating to the CEL being on, please do let me know.

Last edited by thoma : 22nd October 2012 at 15:20.
Old 22nd October 2012, 18:26   #19
BHPian

Bro code 14 is oxygen sensor malfunction. Its 1 ping followed by 4 pings / flashes. ECU resets DTC display by means of disconnecting of power or via scan tool. If its not displaying is now, consider its solved for the time being. If it shows up the next time, replace the O2 sensor.
BTW engine coolant sensor error is code 19 , 1 flash followed by 9 flashes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
^
Going by some threads on DIY of finding CEL error code, I got a code of 14 when the diagnostic port was grounded. Guess the error code 14 stands for a faulty coolant temperature sensor. And the MASS suggested a faulty oxygen sensor! What next? Now I don't see the CEL staying on at all, when the engine is started. Everything got solved on it's own?

If this post rings any bell in your mind, relating to the CEL being on, please do let me know.
Old 22nd October 2012, 18:50   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc1bad View Post
Bro code 14 is oxygen sensor malfunction. Its 1 ping followed by 4 pings / flashes. ECU resets DTC display by means of disconnecting of power or via scan tool. If its not displaying is now, consider its solved for the time being. If it shows up the next time, replace the O2 sensor.
BTW engine coolant sensor error is code 19 , 1 flash followed by 9 flashes.
Thanks for responding. But could you please let me know if you got this information from a reliable source. Why because, the SY413/416 service manual suggests that code 14 is for faulty engine coolant temperature sensor.

Maruti Baleno engine light glows?-sy413.jpg

This site too suggests the same. Mine is a 2005 Vxi, the last model. Today I did some spirited driving and when I next started the engine after a few hours, I got the CEL on again. I get 1 ping followed by 4 pings when the diag is grounded.
Old 22nd October 2012, 20:20   #21
BHPian

Well my source is very reliable, its from a MF413 ( aka esteem ) service manual. Attached DTC sheet if you require it in the future.

Quote:
Thanks for responding. But could you please let me know if you got this information from a reliable source. Why because, the SY413/416 service manual suggests that code 14 is for faulty engine coolant temperature sensor.

Attachment 1003822

This site too suggests the same. Mine is a 2005 Vxi, the last model. Today I did some spirited driving and when I next started the engine after a few hours, I got the CEL on again. I get 1 ping followed by 4 pings when the diag is grounded.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Baleno engine light glows?-img_2334.jpg  

Maruti Baleno engine light glows?-img_2335.jpg  

nc1bad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2012, 09:52   #22
Senior - BHPian

Can anybody confirm on the above on which error code table I have to consider for the Baleno? From the SY413 or the MF413 manual?

Or if I clear all the errors by disconnecting the battery and then disconnect one sensor and check for the code again, will I be able to track it down? Am I talking rubbish?

Last edited by thoma : 23rd October 2012 at 09:58.
Old 23rd October 2012, 11:19   #23
BHPian

Bro simplest way to check which manual u should refer to is by disconnecting your map sensor and start the engine. Check the DTC code displayed and refer to both manuals. As the error codes for MAP is different for both you will know which one to refer to.

Quote:
Can anybody confirm on the above on which error code table I have to consider for the Baleno? From the SY413 or the MF413 manual?

Or if I clear all the errors by disconnecting the battery and then disconnect one sensor and check for the code again, will I be able to track it down? Am I talking rubbish?
nc1bad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2012, 15:36   #24
Senior - BHPian

Disconnected the throttle position sensor and got a code 13. Disconnected the sensor right after the air filter (guess it's the intake air temperature sensor) and got a code 18. So it is indeed the MF413 Esteem's manual that one has to refer for the Baleno's Diagnostic Trouble Code(DTC) table!

Thanks nc1bad. I don't know then why in the Baleno's workshop manual different codes are provided. May be it is for an ECU provided for other countries? Just my guess.
Old 14th January 2013, 19:38   #25
Senior - BHPian

After close to 2 months of running on an open loop, changed the O2 sensor (part no - 18213M79G11) for INR 2400 + 750 labor.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks