Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2010, 07:57   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Whats the condition of pickup and acceleration, is the drive smooth?? are you experiencing any jerks?
IF normal fuel pump is fine.

check for leaks from pipes etc.
I took the car to another Bosch dealer and they confirmed that last time Concorde did a "daylight robbery" by charging 8k.

First of all, if there is leakage but no problems as mentioned above, it has nothing to do with the pump.

Secondly, even if they do a pump job, it should not cost more than 2k, unless something is wrong.

Also, they observed that diesel was leaking from the same place (return pipe) as Concorde had done the job earlier. The new dealer changed a washer and it was all good.

No change of top cover is required as recommended by Concorde and Nayak diesels.

I have escalated this to Tata Motors and demanded a full explanation of job, review of everything by an independent third party and if the work was done which was not required at all, refund of money.
Old 2nd September 2010, 08:42   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
Secondly, even if they do a pump job, it should not cost more than 2k, unless something is wrong.
Exactly. My thoughts too were on the same lines.

No TATA/Safari bashing, but lets be honest. Even if TATA, as a company makes good products, its service partners screw it up!
Its neither the first nor the second time, but on numerous occasions this has been the fate of TATA customers. I wonder how inspite of all these dirty tricks played by TATA dealers, the company has gone on to grab the second spot in the Most Trusted Automobile Brand Survey 2010.

And supposedly Concorde is considered the better dealer/service centre among the lot in Bangalore.
Old 2nd September 2010, 12:21   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
I took the car to another Bosch dealer and they confirmed that last time Concorde did a "daylight robbery" by charging 8k.

First of all, if there is leakage but no problems as mentioned above, it has nothing to do with the pump.

Also, they observed that diesel was leaking from the same place (return pipe) as Concorde had done the job earlier. The new dealer changed a washer and it was all good.

No change of top cover is required as recommended by Concorde and Nayak diesels.

I have escalated this to Tata Motors and demanded a full explanation of job, review of everything by an independent third party and if the work was done which was not required at all, refund of money.
The Key here is, if any dealer is advising such parts repair jobs, they are getting it done outside. Nobody does such repairs inhouse. They add the actual repair job cost + their huge margin onto it.

If you know the advisor well, ask him from where to get it done and get it done yourself, otherwise try to find out yourself and get it done outside.
Old 4th September 2010, 09:03   #49
BHPian

I am frustrated with diesel leakage.

Diesel is leaking again, this time from one of the top bolts.

It seems like I am sending more time on garage than driving, definitely not worth it. The problem is primarily with the incompetent mechanics at the service centers.

There is no loss of acceleration/white smoke etc. Concorde is asking to replace the top housing which is 10k.

Please suggest what should we do with it.
Old 4th September 2010, 14:42   #50
BANNED

Wanna pay a "Friendly" visit to Concorde?
Old 4th September 2010, 14:56   #51
Senior - BHPian

@suman: I suspect that the 'packing' of the pump is not upto the mark. Go to a local PUMP repair shop and tell him the history. That will help.
Old 4th September 2010, 15:40   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Wanna pay a "Friendly" visit to Concorde?
Looks like that may be helpful. Thank you for your help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
@suman: I suspect that the 'packing' of the pump is not upto the mark. Go to a local PUMP repair shop and tell him the history. That will help.
I took the car to another bosch dealer today. Now the leakage happens only when the car is 'cold' in the morning. Once the car gets warmed up, there is no leakage.

Concorde and their service people suggested to change the top cover for 10k (approx.), as, according to them, diesel was spilling over to the top portion of the pump. According to the new dealer I went to meet with today, if the diesel does get spilled over, it will result in loss of pickup and/or starting problem, mileage issues etc.

Now that is obviously not the case. That was also not the case when diesel was leaking in February 2010.

This new guy suggested to replace the return pipe instead, as the beading gets sealed properly when heated, but when cold, leaves a gap.

If that is true, then Concorde just robbed in February, doing something which was not required at all.

And they are trying to rob again.

Why don't these service guys at A.S.S. try to diagnose the problem in details? I think that is the only reason we go to so called experts- A.S.S. - but looks like they are busy in making money rather than helping, at the cost of our time and money.

Tata Motors customer care actually involved top officials from Bosch/Mico and asked for a detailed review of all the works done and whether it was required at all. That is good. But I spoke to the Mico official and the bad part is he is just going by the recommendation of Concorde without even inspecting the car.

I have asked for an independent inspection and diagnosis of the problem by another dealer.

Meanwhile I will replace the pipe. It should not cost more than 150-200.

And the attitude of the manage of Concorde was very very bad.

Hopefully Tata resolve this problem before loosing more customers (I was considering buying a new safari, but based on this bad experience, my wife today said an innova is the best option, although she, and I, just hated Innova earlier).

I don't have the patience, time and energy to run around every day morning to Bosch or Tata or some other people. I need a reliable car serviced by reliable people so that I do not need to visit service stations except for regular maintenance.

The only things that I did during my close to 48k of ownership of a 2008 Honda CR-V was to fill gas, and change the oil. Nothing else.

And I really appreciate all the help.

Last edited by sumannandy : 4th September 2010 at 15:45.
Old 4th September 2010, 17:39   #53
Senior - BHPian

@suman: If you want a real Help then do post the pictures of the 'leak-spot'. My Safari also leaks diesel when the engine is cold and everytime it leaks from a totally different spot. If you could post the pictures, it will help alot to both of us. If you could follow one step for me, then please do visit a local pump repair shop and just ask him the cause. He will tell you at first sight.

BTW, for the frequent visits, I think that it's the 'Dealer's game' you could try and visit another SC. I have never been taken away by the TASC as I always inspect the work (major) at the site of operation. But, as you told, not everybody can do this. Better try a different option and hope it helps.
Old 4th September 2010, 18:31   #54
BHPian

I will post the picture soon.

I did take the car to another place.

Diesel is leaking from the return pipe joint, and the explanation they gave seemed to be right. According to them, if there is any problem with the pump, it would leak diesel all the time, not while cold. Secondly, the explanation that the pipe may heat and sit properly seems to be a valid point. He also mentioned taht if tehre is any problem with the pump there would be issues of pickup etc. So in short, he confirmed that the pump is okay and advised me to bring a pipe.

I think diesel is also leaking from the bolt just above the return pipe. But he does not believe that it is leaking from there. According to him, that place is for air to get in, and if diesel does gets spilled over there, there will be definite issues of pickup. This explanation seems to be credible, as it would probably alter the air-fuel ratio.

So I would buy a pipe on Monday and get it replaced at this place (not going to service center) and check if it is leaking again.

Let me know if there could be other reasons.
Old 4th September 2010, 20:46   #55
Senior - BHPian

IMO, the only cause for diesel leakage from the pump is the faulty 'rubber packing' of the pump or some loose connection\bolt. If the nozzle leaks then it's wiser faulty. The pipe that you are referring is located where?? Is it of steel or rubber??
Old 4th September 2010, 21:19   #56
BHPian

Hi Suman,

Even I had the same problem in my safari last month.And since I did not trust the expertise of concorde motors I had to find the root cause myself.Once I found that i told Concorde what to replace.And the problem was sorted within 15 mins.

My vehicle used to switch off early morning after starting once and I had to press the bubble pump filter a few times after which it would start again.I could see diesel spraying out from the return pipe.Once the temperature gauge of the safari rose a bit then this problem will not be seen during the day.In case you have a similar problem then PM me and lets sort it out ourselves.
Old 4th September 2010, 22:01   #57
Senior - BHPian

^^^^ That's the real help that Suman was looking for. Thanks. i will also check that in my car as my Safari too leaks.
Old 5th September 2010, 09:17   #58
BHPian

Thank you very much. Please let me know what could be the reason. I have sent you a PM.
Old 5th September 2010, 09:59   #59
BHPian

Diesel leakage from Safari-pump12.jpg

1 is the spot for return pipe. Fuel was leaking from this spot in February 2010. Concorde charged around 8k and replaced a bunch of stuff. The leakage is still here.

According to the new Bosch dealership, replacing roller kit etc. are totally unrelated to this problem. They changed a washer which solved the problem temporarily. They suggested to changed the return pipe instead (the pipe connected to the bolt).

According to Concorde, 2 is the new leakage spot. And to rectify it, the entire top housing needs to be replaced, approximate cost for which would be 10k. But according to the new dealership, it is not possible to leak from 2. if it does happen, it would leak all the time and would result in loss of 'pickup' and mileage as this is the place to get air in the pump and out of the pump.

I believe in the theory of the new dealership, as seems like they are trying to diagnose and solve the issues. There is no loss of 'pickup' etc.

1st gear, 2000 rpm, 20kmph
2nd gear, 2600 rpm, 35kmph
2nd gear, 3000 rpm, 40 kmph
3rd gear, 2500 rpm, 60 kmph

Let me also know if the 'pickup' is normal.

Last edited by sumannandy : 5th September 2010 at 10:01.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks