Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2009, 19:55   #1

Multiple issues with my Indigo petrol

Hi!
I own a 2006 Tata Indigo Petrol (GLS) and have been facing the problem of high engine oil consumption for the last six months or so. The car has done around 22500 KM and is consuming around 2L of engine oil for every 1000 KM. As a result, I am having to do a top-up every month!
In June, 2009, I took it to the Tata Motors Service Centre (Om Sai Motors in Mumbai) for the problem. The service advisor first told me that it may require an engine overhaul. I was surprised since my car had done just 18000 KM then and I had never heard of an engine overhaul so early. But since my car was under warranty then, I asked them to go ahead with the overhaul. However, few hours later the advisor informed me that it was an oil leakage issue and the overhaul was not required. They changed the sump gasket and did a top-up with 4 L of engine oil and assured me that the problem was taken care of.
However, 1500 KM later the engine oil levels again dropped to the minimum level and I had to do a top-up with 2L. Since then, every 1000 KM the engine oil levels drop below the minimum level and I am forced to do a top-up. I took my car to Om Sai Motors again in the first week of December and they diagnosed the problem to be with the head gasket and oil seal. They changed both and did a top up with 2L of engine oil. I have driven 700 KM since then and the engine oil has again touched the minimum level. I am clueless as to what is happening. While I plan to take the garage later this week, was wondering if anyone could help me with the possible reasons.
Some additional points:
1. There is no black smoke that comes out of the exhaust and I have had no pollution related issues
2. There is no oil puddle in the places where I park my car
3. There are no problems related to the pick-up and engine heating
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Saurav
Old 28th December 2009, 20:14   #2
Senior - BHPian

1. is there any blue smoke from the exhaust?
2. Are there any grinding noises? this may be due to excessive clearances in the bearing.
3.Check air filters if they are clogged
4.Worn out piston rings,liners,valves,seals etc can also be the causes, check exactly what the symptoms are, then that might be of help to you,
Old 28th December 2009, 21:54   #3
Senior - BHPian

Check cylinder compression.
Old 28th December 2009, 23:27   #4

High Engine Oil Consumption in Indigo Petrol

Thanks for your response. My comments inline. Do you think I will need to go for an engine overhaul for these?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
1. is there any blue smoke from the exhaust?

### No. Only after a cold start there is some white smoke for a few seconds. Other than that, no smoke at all.

2. Are there any grinding noises? this may be due to excessive clearances in the bearing.

### Sometimes at high speeds there is a grinding noise which goes away after a few seconds.

3.Check air filters if they are clogged

### Will do.

4.Worn out piston rings,liners,valves,seals etc can also be the causes, check exactly what the symptoms are, then that might be of help to you,
### I could not notice any other symptoms in turns of noises or smoke. Anything special I should look out for?
Old 29th December 2009, 10:08   #5
Team-BHP Support

You will have to do a complete engine check up, white smoke at cold start up usually means there is a leak at the valve's. Get it checked and do all the replacement required before your warranty expires.
Old 29th December 2009, 12:23   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
You will have to do a complete engine check up, white smoke at cold start up usually means there is a leak at the valve's. Get it checked and do all the replacement required before your warranty expires.
Thanks Jaggu. Unfortuntely, my warranty has already expired :-( Can the valve leakage be a reason for the high engine oil consumption?

Also, any idea how much an engine overhaul/checkup will cost?
Old 29th December 2009, 12:41   #7
Team-BHP Support

I think you should insist that it be covered under a goodwill warranty since the problem was reported earlier itself. Escalate if needed.

Valve leak can be a reason for oil level drop. You need to investigate further, in detail.

Engine job can become expensive if you need to change parts like head assembly etc and hence opening statement, get it covered under warranty.
Old 29th December 2009, 12:55   #8
BHPian

+ 1 to what Jaggu said : Tata should take this case under warranty & you should insist as they said about engine overhaul at the first time only & they kept experimenting on your expense. Make sure you push & push hard this down their throat.
Old 29th December 2009, 16:01   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

agree with Jaggu;please take it up with Tatas.I know one guy who had his Indigo's engine changed by Tata Motors.It was consuming approx 1 lit/1000 kms
Old 30th December 2009, 10:04   #10

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I have spoken to the service centre and they have promised to look into the matter and solve the problem. I am taking my car there on New Year's Day! I am going to fight tooth and nail for the goodwill warranty because I had taken the car to the service centre for the engine oil consumption problem twice while the car was in warranty. They checked and said everything was fine, except some oil leakage problems.

Regards,
Saurav
Old 30th December 2009, 12:19   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauravc View Post
Thanks Jaggu. Unfortuntely, my warranty has already expired :-( Can the valve leakage be a reason for the high engine oil consumption?

Also, any idea how much an engine overhaul/checkup will cost?
Your problem started while your warrenty was still valid and they have not rectified the problem. Take up the matter with the higher ups. They were trying to avoid the engine overhaul during the warrenty period and now wanted you to pay for it. Its a clear case of cheating as initially they told you that the engine needs overhauling and when they realised that its still under warrenty, the retracted that statement.
Old 30th December 2009, 12:29   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauravc View Post
I am going to fight tooth and nail for the goodwill warranty because I had taken the car to the service centre for the engine oil consumption problem twice while the car was in warranty. They checked and said everything was fine, except some oil leakage problems.

Regards,
Saurav
Babu,please take this up with Tata Motors giving the full history.You must substantiate your case with supporting details.Please scout for and find the e-mail IDs of the Service Head and the Manufacturing Head.

A well drafted mail giving full details will definitely be given its weightage.

and please don't give up.
Old 15th January 2010, 10:16   #13

Hi!
Thank You for all the helpful suggestions. Here's an update (and a happy one!) on my car's problem. Tata Motors covered the engine repair job under goodwill warranty!
As diagnosed by Jaggu, the problem turned out to be a leaking valve in the engine head. The service centre has done an engine head overhaul and changed some valves and the head gasket, apart from oil seals. The goodwill warranty covered the entire engine repair and I had to just pay Rs 3100 for the consumables.
Actually, the whole process went off very smoothly. After I gave my car to the service centre (Om Sai Motors, Mumbai), I spoke to the Works Manager there. He went through my service history and said that he would speak to Tata Motors and try to get the engine repair covered under goodwill warranty because:
1. The problem was first reported 7 months back when the car was in warranty and this is the third time I am taking the car to the garage for the same problem
2. The car had done just 22000 KM
Within a couple of days the service advisor called me to inform that the engine repair job would be covered under goodwill warranty and Tata Motors had agreed to the same! I got my car back yesterday and they have done an overhaul of the engine head and changed the intake valves, exhaust valves, valve guide exhaust, valve guide inlet, cylinder head gasket, inlet gasket, exhaust gasket, oil seal and water bypass gasket.
I am keeping my fingers crossed and hoping that the problem is solved now. But only after driving for 500-600 KM will I be able to know the levels of engine oil consumption. However, the white smoke that was coming out of the exhaust during a cold start has disappeared.
Three Cheers for Team-BHP for the suggestions (I was not aware of goodwill warranty before I learnt about it in this forum) and Tata Motors for agreeing to goodwill warranty!
Regards,
Saurav

Last edited by bblost : 15th January 2010 at 10:51. Reason: font tags removed.
Old 15th January 2010, 15:17   #14
Team-BHP Support

Glad to hear that and i think you have sorted this problem for ever. Enjoy the drive
Old 15th January 2010, 17:08   #15
BHPian

Check for 1) proper mileage, 2) Compression 3) Any oil spill on the Block Head.

Is your vehicle self driven or multiple user/driver driven?

Most Viewed