Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2010, 19:47   #1
Senior - BHPian

Scorpio suspension overhaul

On the last service of The Bull (my scorpio's name), that also included the cross replacement within 6 months, I had the truck ramped up and asked my FNG to do a thorough underbody inspection with special emphasis on the suspension system. He advised me that it needed a complete overhaul that would include all the 4 shockers replacement and total bush replacement, tie-rods etc., but said that I could delay it by another 5 to 7 K Kms.

Now, that was working in the back of my mind and I visited FNG on a Saturday to get the air-filter cleaned. Asked him how long it would take to do the thorough suspension job & the approximate cost. He said that if I wheel in the truck by 10 am, then he would be able to give it back the same day and the cost including the material would be around 10K. I told him that I would come on Monday. So, I landed up at the FNG at 10 sharp and the details are below:

Date: 28th December, 2009
Odo reading: 109127 Kms.

Bull walked in at 10 sharp and immediately the FNG's one of the most experienced and senior mechanic was put in charge. He started disassembling the suspension system and by 1 pm each and every component of the front suspension was dismantled. While most of the bushes did need replacement, the tie-rod ends were found to be ok. But,as the instruction was no-compromise on any issue, it was decided that everything shall be replaced. Now it was time to buy the genuine parts. Took FNG's hyundai along with the mechanic and went to Sagar Motors, Gurgaon, the M&M authorised spare parts dealer. The following items were purchased:

1. Front suspension Bush kit - 950.00
2. Upper & Lower Ball joint kit - 1650.00
3. Steering Ball joint (2 Nos.) - 700.00
4. Tie-rod end set - 560.00
5. Front shocker (2 Nos.) - 1340.00
6. Rear Shocker (2 Nos.) - 1240.00
7. Rear Jumping-rod Bush kit - 165.00
8. Link Rod (2 Nos.) - 300.00
9. Shaft nut & bolt (4 Nos.) - 48.00
10.Ball joint lock (2 Nos.) - 16.00
-------------------------------------------------
Total - 6969.00
-------------------------------------------------
Miscellaneous clips, grease etc. - 100.00
Labour - 2000.00
------------------------------------------------
Grand Total - 9069.00
------------------------------------------------

The reassembling started at 3 pm and by 7:30 pm The Bull was ready. In the meanwhile I had requested Deepak Kataria a fellow Yahoo Scorpio group member and owner of Bridgestone Select in Gurgaon, for alignment & camber. He said that I could bring in the vehicle either by 7 pm or at 10 the next day. A test drive of the Bull after suspension revealed that it would be too dangerous to drive as it was swerving. Called Deepak, explained the situation and asked if I could come immeidately. He said yes and by 8 the alignment was done. The camber was found to be perfect. The toe was extremely out. Fixed. No charges for this..

Happy Bull and happier Bull owner. There is a major reduction in NVH. According to my FNG, with my driving style I'm good for another lakh & a half Kms. Amen...

C&C invited....

Last edited by gd1418 : 3rd January 2010 at 19:49.
Old 4th January 2010, 11:29   #2
BANNED

Detailed write up. Thank you. Just a few questions: Which model and version is your Scorp? Is the rear suspension coil spring or leaf spring type? Was the comparative cost of the same at a MASS compared before deciding on a private garage?
Shouldnt this thread be at the Long term ownership reports instead of the "What Car" Section??
Old 4th January 2010, 11:57   #3
Senior - BHPian

Mine is a 2004 Scorpio GLx with leaf springs. Coil springs came in late 2005.

I have a pathological aversion to ASCs.

I don't know in which section this should've been. If the Mods feel that this post deserves to be in a different section other than here, then please move it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Detailed write up. Thank you. Just a few questions: Which model and version is your Scorp? Is the rear suspension coil spring or leaf spring type? Was the comparative cost of the same at a MASS compared before deciding on a private garage?
Shouldnt this thread be at the Long term ownership reports instead of the "What Car" Section??
Old 4th January 2010, 12:04   #4
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

good input GD
also looks like the costs are pretty reasonable indeed!

but the main thing is that the vehicle has done almost 1.1 lac kms before this has become necessary!

fantastic!
Old 4th January 2010, 12:18   #5
Senior - BHPian

Hello gd1418, your input was just the thing I was looking for! I am planning to visit my SS for a check up of my Scorpio's suspension (2004 model, 80K plus on the odo), as I feel the ride is a bit too bouncy right now.
Is your ride noticeably less bouncy now? Feedback on this would surely help. Thanks in advance!
Old 4th January 2010, 15:01   #6
Senior - BHPian

It never was bouncy in the first place; hence can't comment. The noticeable changes are as follows:

1. Driving feels lighter.
2. Steering is lighter
3. NVH is almost nil.
4. The potholes' feedback through steering or body is considerably reduced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
Hello gd1418, your input was just the thing I was looking for! I am planning to visit my SS for a check up of my Scorpio's suspension (2004 model, 80K plus on the odo), as I feel the ride is a bit too bouncy right now.
Is your ride noticeably less bouncy now? Feedback on this would surely help. Thanks in advance!
Old 4th January 2010, 15:33   #7
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a lot for the quick feedback.

Will go this evening for the suspension check up. Will try to post an update at the earliest, regards, mohit oza
Old 9th March 2010, 11:23   #8

Hey GD,
thanks for the inputs.This would definitely help me in getting my scorpio overhaulded.
My Scorpio has done 65000km +.The problem that I am facing with the car is that on gravel/bumpy road the car starts vibrating a lot and difficult to drive. I took it to one of the scorpio(Mahindra) service stations,they have recommended the following the following changes/overhaul with the prices as below :-
1. Front RHS shock absorber leakage - needs replacement - Rs 1500/-
2. Front LHS bottom ball joint damage - needs replacement - Rs 12,500/-
3. Gen. box oil leakage - Rs 2500/-
4. Engine oil leakage for timing cover - Rs 700/-
5. Rear suspension needs overhauling - Rs 3500/-
TOTAL ------------------------------- Rs 20,700/-+ Labour

Looking at the prices mentioned by you,it seems a bit high.
Do let me know if the same is OK.

Also, would request other members to let me know if they know of any good service centers/mechanics in Pune and authorised mahindra spare part dealers in Pune.

Looking forward for your inputs.

Happy Driving!!!
Rahul
Old 9th March 2010, 19:14   #9
Senior - BHPian

Rahul, the cost is on a very higher side. At less than that amount I got my entire suspension overhauled.

Now what is a - Gen. box oil leakage

I haven't heard of this. My suggestion is why don't you get a full suspension overhaul. Shockers, as a rule, all fours should be changed. If the Front LHS ball joint is being replaced then you should also change the RHS.

BTW, there is not much to do with the rear suspension. Is your's the leaf-spring type?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arora.rahul View Post
Hey GD,
thanks for the inputs.This would definitely help me in getting my scorpio overhaulded.
My Scorpio has done 65000km +.The problem that I am facing with the car is that on gravel/bumpy road the car starts vibrating a lot and difficult to drive. I took it to one of the scorpio(Mahindra) service stations,they have recommended the following the following changes/overhaul with the prices as below :-
1. Front RHS shock absorber leakage - needs replacement - Rs 1500/-
3. Gen. box oil leakage - Rs 2500/-
4. Engine oil leakage for timing cover - Rs 700/-
5. Rear suspension needs overhauling - Rs 3500/-
TOTAL ------------------------------- Rs 20,700/-+ Labour

Looking at the prices mentioned by you,it seems a bit high.
Do let me know if the same is OK.

Also, would request other members to let me know if they know of any good service centers/mechanics in Pune and authorised mahindra spare part dealers in Pune.

Looking forward for your inputs.

Happy Driving!!!
Rahul
Old 9th March 2010, 19:38   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arora.rahul View Post
Ball joint replacement costs Rs12500, please verify if it is only the ball joint, or else the service station is taking you for a ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Shockers, as a rule, all fours should be changed. If the Front LHS ball joint is being replaced then you should also change the RHS.
It is not necessary that all 4 need to be replaced at the same time, if one dampner is damaged from front it is advisable to replace both from the front (as the rates for a new and old dampner varies considerably for a particular piston speed) so is the rear, also it is not necessary to replace both the LHS and RHS ball joints as they work independently.

Spike
Old 19th May 2011, 11:24   #11
BHPian

Re: Scorpio suspension overhaul

Hi ,

I went for the servicing of my Scorpio at 1,10325 kms. Along with the regular cost of servicing, I was also given an estimate of front suspension overhaul. Along with it i also asked for the estimate of rear shockers. This is what was quoted. Is this overpriced & does all of this is required. This will be the first time any sort of suspension work will be undertaken on my car. The work will be done at an Authorized M&M service station.
Please help/suggest.

1 18-192F FRONT SUSPENSION OVERHAUL 1500.00
2 22-010A WHEEL ALINGMENT 300.00
3 22-010L WHEEL BALANCING (FIVE WHEEL) 250.00
4 17-030 PROPELLER SHAFT OVERHAUL 550.00
5 NSPARES APPROX COST OF PARTS 17500.00
which would tentatively include -

1. Front suspension Bush kit
2. Upper & Lower Ball joint kit
3. Steering Ball joint (2 Nos.)
4. Tie-rod end set
5. Front shocker (2 Nos.)
6. Rear Shocker (2 Nos.)
7. Rear Jumping-rod Bush kit
8. Link Rod (2 Nos.)
9. Shaft nut & bolt (4 Nos.)
10.Ball joint lock (2 Nos.)

Please help/suggest.

Last edited by forbhaskarm : 19th May 2011 at 11:25.
Old 19th May 2011, 14:14   #12
BHPian

No response?

Please suggest.
Old 19th May 2011, 15:52   #13
Team-BHP Support

I suggest you go to an independent workshop. Your car is anyways out of warranty, and suspension bush change etc., is not really a very complex job.
The compex lathing of some bushes is anways gotten done from outside by workshops.
Old 19th May 2011, 17:15   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
The compex lathing of some bushes is anways gotten done from outside by workshops.
, Scorpio has silent block bushes. Please DON'T do any lathe work with bushes, IIRC the bushes cost roughly 130 Rs a piece, get it changed rather than doing any lathe work.

Spike
Old 19th May 2011, 17:21   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
, Scorpio has silent block bushes. Please DON'T do any lathe work with bushes, IIRC the bushes cost roughly 130 Rs a piece, get it changed rather than doing any lathe work.

Spike
In Safari, the center pin bush is not available off the shelf, and you have to get it "made" on a lathe. The service centers outsource the job. So if this issue is not there for scorpio, well and good!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks