Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2010, 18:16   #1
BHPian

Heat from the Engine compartment reaching the Passenger cabin !! Need Help

I am facing this issue from the last 1 year or so. The issue is that with AC on i am not getting enough cooling. Also after AC switched off within 1 min i can fell the heat. I checked the AC and it is doing good. I have shown this issue to the Maruti Service station and they told me that a bush which was separating the engine bay from the body was having the issue and they have replaced it. But still no change. The condition is the same and now the service guys say they have nothing to do. The car having the issue is ZEN LXI

One thing that can be made sure is that AC is having no issue and the heat is coming inside the cabin from the Engine compartment (or does it come from any where else?). Do you guys know any reason for this? Can we do something to avoid the heat entering to the passenger cabin?

I think due to this my car's AC is functioning hard to keep up the temperature. This is affecting my mileage too. please Help. if someone know how to reduce/ kill the heat entry from the engine bay to the cabin please advice.

Last edited by xenxer : 4th January 2010 at 18:24.
Old 4th January 2010, 18:39   #2
BHPian

Heh, reminds me of the Padmini taxis in Bombay, where the front bench is warmer than the rear.

I know it sounds silly, but I suppose you've checked that the thermostat isn't set to hot?
Old 4th January 2010, 18:55   #3
BHPian

yes.. its nothing like that.. Initially The same question was asked by the service guys too :-). So i checked the functioning of the same.. No issues...The air coming from the vents is cold, No issues there also. You know i can't fell any very high temperature from the front side like the padminis. But something is happening. I have compared with my friends having the same car and even at same time, there is some issue specific with mine. :-(

Last edited by xenxer : 4th January 2010 at 19:02.
Old 4th January 2010, 19:08   #4
BHPian

same problem dude , in my merc W124 also same problem was there , no solutions found .heat kept coming in the passenger cell due to some reasons . i think as these cars get old due to wear n tearof insulating material this must be happening!
do chk for that.
Old 4th January 2010, 19:12   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenxer View Post
But something is happening. I have compared with my friends having the same car and even at same time, there is some issue specific with mine. :-(
Xenxer, i had similar problem with my lancer but it was only on drivers side. We done everything and atlast we found that there was some leak in the exhaust pipe which was directly facing the body. Then we sorted all the leaks in exhaust pipe now its OK.

Just check out whether you have any leaks in exhaust pipe, may be that will solve your problem.

Cheers,
L&S.
Old 4th January 2010, 19:40   #6
Senior - BHPian

Does this happen during the night as well, I mean do you feel the heat coming in during the night when the ac is off and the windows are rolled down?

Maruti A S S will never get to solve such issues. You have to do some DIY here. First find out if there is any particular region in the car engine bay which runs too Hot, this should be done during the night. Then turn on the ac to find out if the cooling is sufficient with the bonnet open.

Zens are know to have the most effective cooling. Find out if both the fans are functioning, I.e one when the car runs hot and second when the AC is turned on. if all this fails flush the radiator and fill in new coolent to see if the issue exists.

If all this fails you might have to reinsulate the firewall, Find some decent workshop and get this done, but this should be the ultimate step.

Pramod
Old 4th January 2010, 20:02   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
If all this fails you might have to reinsulate the firewall, Find some decent workshop and get this done, but this should be the ultimate step.
Pramod

Promod this is what i was asking for. What is the firewall? Where is it ? I check the bay i didn't notice any insulation. I also own a ZEN D where i can see the heat insulation on the back of the engine bay and also under the hood, but for petrol ones they don't have such types.

Last edited by xenxer : 4th January 2010 at 20:04.
Old 4th January 2010, 20:06   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer&shogun View Post
Xenxer, i had similar problem with my lancer but it was only on drivers side. We done everything and atlast we found that there was some leak in the exhaust pipe which was directly facing the body. Then we sorted all the leaks in exhaust pipe now its OK.

Just check out whether you have any leaks in exhaust pipe, may be that will solve your problem.

Cheers,
L&S.
I have to check that. But there is no difference in the sound to be noticed. Anyway will check that
Old 4th January 2010, 20:37   #9
BHPian

Dont know if this helps,but in any case if u have ever removed ur door panels then inside u will find a plastic sheet covering the entire open area,most mechs just tear this away.however this is very important as when u drive without this sheet,all the air from outside comes in from the door opening handle(inside) and from the power findow switches box.

I found this when i was crusing on the highway and could feel sum air hitting my hand,running my hand over i found it comes from this places,got back home opened the panels and installed plactic sheets,now my a.c cools better and tosum extent even the noise is gone down,maybe kind of insulation it provides.

Try this and one more thing even the clutch cable and many other pipes have gromets surrounding them this are often left open by guys installing horns,central locking even this leads to direct air coming from the engine bay inside...

the car here iam talking abt is also a zen so just look around in ur engine bay or run ur hands while driving on the door pads and you shall figure where the hot air is coming in from.
Old 5th January 2010, 15:26   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpian View Post
Dont know if this helps,but in any case if u have ever removed ur door panels then inside u will find a plastic sheet covering the entire open area,most mechs just tear this away.however this is very important as when u drive without this sheet,all the air from outside comes in from the door opening handle(inside) and from the power findow switches box.
This is checked the plastics are glued on properly.. no issues or hot air blow from the door panel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpian View Post
Try this and one more thing even the clutch cable and many other pipes have gromets surrounding them this are often left open by guys installing horns,central locking even this leads to direct air coming from the engine bay inside...
I also checked this but it all seems ok to me. But need to verify this with some mechanics. (but don't believe Maruti service station)

i am still not able to pin point the place where exactly the heat is getting conducted by the body. Hey guys if the exhaust pipe is touching any part of the body then obviously there should be some rattling sounds rt? But no such sound is heard.
Old 5th January 2010, 15:32   #11
Senior - BHPian

the coolant is used for recirculation for hot air, what i did in mine was, i plugged the coolant hoses coming into the firewall for the hvac with sparkplugs so that the there is no possiblity of the hot air reaching the cabin. the downside is, i dont have temp control on the car(always on max), the blower i do can control.
Old 5th January 2010, 22:30   #12
BHPian

My friend's Esteem also had a similar issue. The culprit was the heating system. It was always on the ON. Even if you move the knob/slider to cool then also the heater would remain on. So by looking at the controls it feels that the heater is not working but actually it was.
Old 6th January 2010, 10:19   #13
BHPian

^^ That sounds very much like the most likely problem here. Worth getting checked, I'd say.
Old 10th February 2010, 15:08   #14
BHPian

He guys at last got my issue sorted out. The issue was that the exhaust pipe was touching or more to be said as jammed to the body (ie the reason why no rattling sound was heard). This caused the heat to reach the cabin. Now its sorted out and the AC is doing its job perfectly.

The M.A.S.C was not able to identify the issue. This was identified by a local mechanic and the job was done by Maruti service center. Had to give to MASC since the local workshop guy was going to hit the pipe with a hammer to rectify the issue, which was not the proper way. Later the MASC removed the whole exhaust pipe and then refitted it , without doing any hammering on the pipe it fitted well without touching the body. Anyways thanks i got it fine.
xenxer is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed